1966 273 4bbl Clean Air Package

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
So, what all did this package consist of? I know the intake was different, as was the air cleaner, but what else? What does the extra port in the intake do and where does it go to in the intake?

The intake manifold is the same, but the carb is different. I have yet to see a '66 that didn't have the breather hose tube on the air cleaner, but I have seen 65s without it. The breather hose goes to the breather in one rocker cover. The other side cover has the pcv valve which has a hose to the carb.

66 Cap intake is #2536771 and the non CAP intake is #2536563. Both numbers are also listed for 67. The CAP intakes should include a air cleaner with a port. I have seen plenty of 66's with a plain air cleaner but I can't confirm they were the original ones.

The CAP also had different distributor advance advance curves, that worked in conjunction with an added vacuum control valve.

PCV was required before CAP. CAP was "California only" and then Federally emissions controls got under way in 68. I would not be suprised that a "non" CAP car has an open breather and PCV, no filter bonnet connection. I believe that's the way my 67 was originally.

My 66 Dart, had the chrome air cleaner on it when I got it. It also had the 4295s Carb on it, duel points distributor was on it. No nipple on air cleaner. No way to be sure this is original but it looked like it was.

Thanks for all the answers. Now, where does the port in the intake go to. If you flip it over it appears to go nowhere. I am thinking it must go to a intake runner or run under the heat shield, on the bottom of the intake. I am not understanding how it works. Is it kinda like a extra crankcase ventilation(PVC) type system?

Put compressed air into it and see where it comes out. I agree it looks like it is a dead end, goes nowhere. My manifold has the passage but no connection on it.

Just another one of those things that make you go hummmm, wonder what they were thinking 50 years ago....

Maybe some kind of vent burn off tube? expandable when needed? The guy at the intake maker said he would make them pay for trashing his beloved chevy?:banghead:

So, what all did this package consist of? I know the intake was different, as was the air cleaner, but what else? What does the extra port in the intake do and where does it go to in the intake?

The CAP consisted of a leaner calibrated AFB, a valve cover breather with a rubber hose that connected to a nipple on the air cleaner, a different intake, and as KitCarlson a different distributor? I've had 2 or 3 of the CAP intakes and am still baffled how it was supposed to work. I'm pretty sure that rear fitting was blind. The intake still worked good for me.

-
Back