1966 Barracuda A/C question

-

lou3500

Fla. Cuda Guy
Reaction score
I'm trying to locate a factory A/C type [replacement] evaporator and I can't seem to find anyone who makes/sells them. I'm sure that in 66 they used the same evaporator in several different models [both Dodge and Plymouth possibly Chrysler too] I just can't seem to figure this out I have been looking off and on for several years with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds like you mean the factory AC/heater box, plus the thin under-dash vents (like my 69 Dart had). I was considering a full used set for $100 on ebay, but since my 65 Dart wasn't factory air I would have had to cut new holes in the firewall. I ended up going with an under-dash unit. You can find those new on ebay for ~$110.

Thank you, my car IS a factory air car and the evaporator is most likely bad [has a leak in the system] I have been searching for a replacement for the existing unit. I have considered the ones on E Bay looked last night!!!!!

Because your 66 is an early A, I suspect the interchange may be 65/66. 67 and up might work if the firewall ports for the evaporator are in the same location or very close and if it will fit the underdash box. It has taken me quite awhile to source complete AC set-up for my 3 A Bodies - good luck with your search.

Because your 66 is an early A, I suspect the interchange may be 65/66. .

To the best of my knowledge, all 64-65 "A" bodies used the under dash "knee knocker" A/C. 1966 being the first year for the integral A/C and heat unit. I would have to check, and see if a 67 or newer evap would be the same as a 66. Years ago I had a source for a company that would rebuild/repair obsolete evaps. After the holidays I will see if they are still doing this.

To the best of my knowledge, all 64-65 "A" bodies used the under dash "knee knocker" A/C. 1966 being the first year for the integral A/C and heat unit.

According to my 65 literature, they offered the integrated heater/AC in 65. I have 2 65 Dart and 2 65 Valiant factory heater/AC bezels. Definitely not knee-knocker.

To the best of my knowledge, all 64-65 "A" bodies used the under dash "knee knocker" A/C. 1966 being the first year for the integral A/C and heat unit. I would have to check, and see if a 67 or newer evap would be the same as a 66. Years ago I had a source for a company that would rebuild/repair obsolete evaps. After the holidays I will see if they are still doing this.

Thank you sir I'll await your findings Happy New Year!!!

Because your 66 is an early A, I suspect the interchange may be 65/66. 67 and up might work if the firewall ports for the evaporator are in the same location or very close and if it will fit the underdash box. It has taken me quite awhile to source complete AC set-up for my 3 A Bodies - good luck with your search.

I have a 67 and up evaporator that I was going to use on my 66(non stock option) to convert it to factory air. unfortunately the lines come out slightly different than the factory hole locations I got from a user on here. (by about 1/2 inch to the passengers side). they do come out from the evaporator in the same place but rise up 1/2 inch and then bend towards the passengers side too far. I ended up taking the twisted section part of my 66 evaporator and cutting the 67 evap pipe so that I could expand the copper and silver solder it to the 66 unit. I had it tested at an A/C shop to verify it was good.
now on the wife's car I'll use the 67 up A/c side and graft the 66's A/C heater box to it. it looks to bolt right on except for a wider distance from the blower motor to heater box foam. the 66 has a switch in it and the 67 does not (I don't remember what it was for but can look up in the FSM if needed)
this is the 66 bends. the 67's go further over to the passenger side.
View attachment !!!!ac difference.jpg

this is the switch I'm talking about. I could hook a micro switch up to the 67 box if I have to to simulate the switch but for now I'll rebuild this one and rewire it the factory way
View attachment DSCF3517.JPG

According to my 65 literature, they offered the integrated heater/AC in 65. I have 2 65 Dart and 2 65 Valiant factory heater/AC bezels. Definitely not knee-knocker.

All had under dash ducting fed by the firewall mounted box.

I believe they are referring to the ducting assembly being under the dash instead of thru the dash as other manufacturers did.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 211
I have a 67 and up evaporator that I was going to use on my 66(non stock option) to convert it to factory air. unfortunately the lines come out slightly different than the factory hole locations I got from a user on here. (by about 1/2 inch to the passengers side). they do come out from the evaporator in the same place but rise up 1/2 inch and then bend towards the passengers side too far. I ended up taking the twisted section part of my 66 evaporator and cutting the 67 evap pipe so that I could expand the copper and silver solder it to the 66 unit. I had it tested at an A/C shop to verify it was good.
now on the wife's car I'll use the 67 up A/c side and graft the 66's A/C heater box to it. it looks to bolt right on except for a wider distance from the blower motor to heater box foam. the 66 has a switch in it and the 67 does not (I don't remember what it was for but can look up in the FSM if needed)
this is the 66 bends. the 67's go further over to the passenger side.
View attachment 1714684566

this is the switch I'm talking about. I could hook a micro switch up to the 67 box if I have to to simulate the switch but for now I'll rebuild this one and rewire it the factory way
View attachment 1714684567

I figured this would not be easy to solve I really don't want to go full aftermarket but we'll have to see what I'm dealing with when I tear the car down for rebuild. The air worked when I got the car [after dumping in 2 cans of R12] worked for about the first year then warm, I put a can in last year but only blew cool and went away after one day. I might be able to jury rig another in or fix the one I got. Happy New Year!!!

I figured this would not be easy to solve I really don't want to go full aftermarket but we'll have to see what I'm dealing with when I tear the car down for rebuild. The air worked when I got the car [after dumping in 2 cans of R12] worked for about the first year then warm, I put a can in last year but only blew cool and went away after one day. I might be able to jury rig another in or fix the one I got. Happy New Year!!!
Happy New Year to you and all the Members here!
my guess is seals and o-rings (are you keeping the V2 compressor?
you could take it to a shop and have them check it out with dye if you don't have a vacuum pump to check for holding vacuum. Compressor Pump seals, hoses and o-rings get brittle. condensers get leaky and corroded but usually the evaporator (if not packed with debris and leaves) isn't the culprit or is usually the last part to go. 67 evaporators will work if you have the tubes re-bent to match your 66 setup. I did mine, but I have a good 67 one that was re-done by a Air compressor shop and re soldered to the core for the wife' 66 dart for that configuration.

Thanks for that info. I know 64 was knee knocker, and 66 was integral. But all 65's with A/C that I have seen were "knee Knocker". Either dealer install, or aftermarket, so I was not sure on whether the factory had integral in 65.

Happy New Year to you and all the Members here!
my guess is seals and o-rings (are you keeping the V2 compressor?
you could take it to a shop and have them check it out with dye if you don't have a vacuum pump to check for holding vacuum. Compressor Pump seals, hoses and o-rings get brittle. condensers get leaky and corroded but usually the evaporator (if not packed with debris and leaves) isn't the culprit or is usually the last part to go. 67 evaporators will work if you have the tubes re-bent to match your 66 setup. I did mine, but I have a good 67 one that was re-done by a Air compressor shop and re soldered to the core for the wife' 66 dart for that configuration.

I have my own A/C tools to do the vacuum check, my thoughts exactly was prior to tearing it all apart was replacing all the seals, having the lines remade and trying it again I have removed most of the lines in the engine bay and the seals were dried out [I couldn't get to the fire wall ones Easley so those are for later]. I also have to find a dryer or have my original one repacked, long ago I thought I saw something about a company that could cut open the dryer and replace the dessicant and seal it up [weld?] again.

I also have to find a dryer or have my original one repacked, long ago I thought I saw something about a company that could cut open the dryer and replace the dessicant and seal it up [weld?] again.

I had that place down in Tampa FL (can't remember the name right off hand -
Classic Air?) rebuild 2 of my early A horizontal driers just as you described.

I'm gonna ask them [Classic Auto Air] this Saturday, a place up the street from them [Garage One Pro] puts on a cars n coffee cruise in every 1st Saturday and they sometimes attend if not I'll shoot over there while I'm in the neighborhood.

I'm gonna ask them [Classic Auto Air] this Saturday, a place up the street from them [Garage One Pro] puts on a cars n coffee cruise in every 1st Saturday and they sometimes attend if not I'll shoot over there while I'm in the neighborhood.

While you are at it,ask them about rebuilding your evap.

I have my own A/C tools to do the vacuum check, my thoughts exactly was prior to tearing it all apart was replacing all the seals, having the lines remade and trying it again I have removed most of the lines in the engine bay and the seals were dried out [I couldn't get to the fire wall ones Easley so those are for later]. I also have to find a dryer or have my original one repacked, long ago I thought I saw something about a company that could cut open the dryer and replace the dessicant and seal it up [weld?] again.

double check the seals on the compressor shaft. my rV2 was leaking like a sieve. I found it once I got dye into it.
I discovered ALL my o rings and seals had dried out from old age but that one was the worst one for me. I had to rent an A/c clutch removal tool to get to the seals but it was an easy fix I just lubed it up with ester oil and gently replaced it in it's place. that one seal pretty much solved all my leaks really. It was leaking so bad I couldn't hold vacuum at all. the o rings just let it leak out slowly but the seal was a blowout . they all got replaced on my old car. the one I'm working on now is not stock by any means, it's getting a parallel condenser and a later model sanden compressor with new custom lines and a later model expansion valve plumbed in..

I heard there is a place in Tampa florida that does that, I don't know the name of it,but can ask around if anyone knows. It won't do me any good since I don't have an early A drier to send to them though:D. I'm still looking for 2 of them to get rebuilt.

Thanks ya'll, Charlie S I'm gonna do just that, they don't offer any direct bolt ins for 66 A Bodys so maybe they may be interested in using mine for mockup [doubt it] but worth a try!!!!

Classic Auto Air will fix all of your stuff for you and send it back. I am currently getting ready to ship my stuff to them.

I'm trying to locate a factory A/C type [replacement] evaporator and I can't seem to find anyone who makes/sells them. I'm sure that in 66 they used the same evaporator in several different models [both Dodge and Plymouth possibly Chrysler too] I just can't seem to figure this out I have been looking off and on for several years with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks 64 Barracuda, I'm going to a cruise in Saturday morning hopefully they'll be there if not I'll go visit them their business is just down the block.

Thanks 64 Barracuda, I'm going to a cruise in Saturday morning hopefully they'll be there if not I'll go visit them their business is just down the block.

I just called them today, they said 4 week turnaround. Please post how your experience works out with them

-
Back