1966 Barracuda Detroit Show Car Prototype Custom Concept?

-
I think more than likely it was a later custom job instead of a period prototype or concept car because of the later design parts that are on the car. The gas cap for instance, didn't come out until '69.

I have seen pics of it at the auto shows with the 1966 Plymouth line of cars, an original 66 Barracuda was shown with it, I will see if I can find it.

1966 Barracuda concept? Anyone remember this car or know where it is now? I seen it in a photo taken in 1966 at the Detroit or Chicago auto show, I also posted some pics of it, looks like someone got ahold of it and restored it but I have only seen these few pics. Is it a custom, factory concept? The car is very cool, it has the rear wheels in the quarter panels opened up, turn signals or driving lights in the grilles (possibly 65 units?), front bumper has no signal cutouts, the front grille is solid with the strips running down it. It also has cool/knockoff spinner mag wheels and a clear bubble on the hood to see the engine, also some other body mods. What engine does it have? Anyone have any other pictures of this cool ride? I seen an old black and white photo from the 66 auto show on ebay once too but not much else. Thanks! :toothy10:

Keith, that is a cool ride. I will check out my old car magazines to see if I can find any info. Shouldn't be to hard to rebuild a look alike car.

Sorry for bringing this old post back to life, but does anyone know where I could buy or gather the parts for those driving lights on this car?

The car was built by the Alexander brothers in 1966 as a concept car to help Plymouth to promote Barracudas at car shows , because they were working with Chrysler there are design features on this car which were used by Chrysler on later cars ,the car is currently owned by a private collector and getting the correct period parts put back on to the car
Attached is a picture of one of the magazine covers the car was featured in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 520
Thanks for sharing Keirh! Wonderful car. The exhaust post could be done with a re-shaped A-body resonator tip! Not sure where you dig up all the cool cars?!

:burnout:

The hood bubble looks like a Darryl Starbird piece. He told me they made the bubbles for his cars by pulling a vacuum on a piece of plexiglass on a concave mold and softened it with heat guns.

Here is a couple pictures I took of the car yesterday , as I mentioned in my last post , the car is currently getting period correct parts put back on it , the steering wheel picture shows what the brothers called a padded wheel , they took the stock wheel and add some padding wrapped in leather . The hood bubble was made by the brothers to show the 8 weber stacks , which were for appearence only

Attachments

• image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 544
More pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 481
Front end pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 482
Pic of gauges

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 490
Just got in 6 of the same Ansen mags that were on the orginal build, a major step getting the car back to period correct

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 410
Found hub adapters and knock off spinners on a Ebay,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 395
I like most of the features this car has. Do you have a closeup of the horn button? It's hard to tell....is that a Barracuda emblem in the middle? From a distance it looks more like a Chevy chevron! Also, is it a radio delete car? I don't see an antenna anywhere. Any other interior or drivetrain mods?

Very cool and thanks for the update Opey. tmm

I recently bought an original picture off of ebay of this car with a cute girl posing in the drivers seat, must have been at a show...I should scan it! Very cool to see progress and PLEASE...TAKE MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!

Hello , the logo in the center of the steering wheel is the Alexander Brothers logo , I'll check if it is radio delete , they did not do much to the interior they did build custom bucket seats up front and the spare tire is mounted where the rear seat was , from the information we have on the car there was no drivetrain modifications . We are working from few orginal drawings we believe came from Plymouth designers and we have a number of photographs taken when the brothers finished the car . The 360 and 5spd trans that were in the car have been removed and a correct 66 273 and 4spd will be going in shortly , we have tracked down a bunch of the period correct parts like the Lucas headlights that were in the orginal build , the Wilwood brakes will be coming off just after Xmas and the correct drum brakes going back on , the Blue Streak tires arrived a couple of days ago , just waiting for the wheels to be refinished . I'll get some more pictures posted later this week
Please scan and post the picture you of the car and I'll try and scan some of the pictures we are using to restore the car .

Looks like the car is missing the wheel opening trim...I think they used front wheel trim on the rear when the quarters were opened up.....was the flip top gas cap and hood pins added later on?

Also noticed in the 2 pictures I have, the early car has Good Year tires on it, then at another auto show it had plain red line tires, and the Alexander Bros emblem was on the drivers fender in one pic and the earlier photo the passenger side fender does not have one. I'll do my best to scan them soon

-
Back