1966 Barracuda single to dual issues

-

eholster

Reaction score
I decided that with the original single exhaust system on my Barracuda being rotted out I would install a new dual system. A shop in NC was offering them for a decent price so I ordered a system - downpipes to tips. In trying to install I found neither side fit at the manifolds. The shop is going to send another downpipe for driver side (way off, flange to manifold in wrong direction), based on a pattern they have for a single system - basically following they form of it - but thy don't have a passenger side to copy. I currently seeing the exhaust interfere with steering in passenger side...
Any ideas for solutions? Does anyone have a dual system on a stock '66 they can take detailed pictures of at the manifolds and steering?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 438
Another picture.
Upside down... Sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 420
65 had driver manifold point straight back. Looks like your old system followed that same direction and new one didnt, more like a later A that angled down?.

So maybe I can suggest to the exhaust supplier to check that? Were the 65 passenger side manifolds different?

One of the challenges is I am in Washington state and the exhaust supplier is in NC!

Good luck getting their passenger side through the transmission crossmember, which isn't even cut out for duals! All early A bodies only came with single exhaust! The solution to this??? How about one of my dual exhaust crossmember conversions!! They allow the passenger side pipe to pass through the crossmember instead of under, which puts the pipe too close to the ground, and makes for one heck of a bend! Message me if you're interested in one and ill send you the details!! Geof

View attachment image.jpg

65 pass was same through 76 or so, driver side was crazy one but i thought 66 was changeover year for that too? Cosgig would know and his crossmember is a great piece to convert to. Otherwise you dip down under it and it looks bad.

67 was the changeover year. They widened the engine compartment.

I thought a 66 was different than a 65 on this piece even though the chassis was the same.....i could be wrong. I know the 68 340 and the 68 318 were different angles than each other.

All the 64-66, A body V-8 cars had the same exhaust manifold.

Thanks for all the input. I already modified the crossmember!

65 pass was same through 76 or so, driver side was crazy one but i thought 66 was changeover year for that too? Cosgig would know and his crossmember is a great piece to convert to. Otherwise you dip down under it and it looks bad.

Can you guys confirm this? Is the passenger manifold and /or down pipe the same through '76?

All A-body right side manifolds were center dump except 68-71 340. The outlet diameter changed, but the location didn't.

Good luck getting their passenger side through the transmission crossmember, which isn't even cut out for duals! All early A bodies only came with single exhaust! The solution to this??? How about one of my dual exhaust crossmember conversions!! They allow the passenger side pipe to pass through the crossmember instead of under, which puts the pipe too close to the ground, and makes for one heck of a bend! Message me if you're interested in one and ill send you the details!! Geof

Geof; looks like you need to notch the crossmember as well as the bracket...yes?

Geof; looks like you need to notch the crossmember as well as the bracket...yes?

Not true, my modified crossmember is engineered to be a direct bolt in piece! The cutout is in the only place on the passenger side that will allow you to pass through, and my converted units are open as far as they can be and still clear the crossmember! It works great with 2 1/2" or smaller pipe, although 2 1/2" is very hard to achieve through the front area around the torsion bars! I believe I'm running 2 1/4" because its so tight!!

Hope this helps, Geof

Might be easier to take to a competent local shop and have them bend up a custom exhaust.

That's what I do. My local shop will do a 2.25 custom dual system for $240 cash if I supply the mufflers.

Since the only factory dual was on the drivers side.....ANYTHING running down the pass side is "custom". The notch in the bracket is the way to go.

Or you could buy a short section of this pipe to get past the cross member?? It comes in all sizes and let you run your pipe past the tight spots without restricting your exhaust!! It's also really nice over the rear end and past the gas tank/leaf spring area.

treblig

Attachments

• 884e_1[1].jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 315
  • TRANSWITHINELBOW[1].jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 279
  • vib0450416ovl_v1[1].jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 281
  • OVALELBOWSHARDWAY[1].jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 306

I have a 1966 Cuda with a rebuilt 318 (not the stock 273) but it has a single pipe. I would like to convert it to a dual exhaust system. Do you have something that would work with a 318 in '66 Cuda? If so, I would like to see the details.

Well, I've been known to make these from time to time! It allows up to 2 1/2" pipe to be run through the passenger side where there is no cutout otherwise! It is a direct bolt in, and is made from the original crossmember!

IMG_2329.JPG

-
Back