1966 Dart 225 Slant/3 spd power/MPG?

-

Bearhawke

Reaction score
On another forum I mentioned that I have a lead on a 1966 Dodge dart locally.

Car has a Slant Six (probably a 225) with a 3 spd on the column.

Clutch is history and such being the case; I plan to bolt up an all synchro 3 gear from a 1970's A-F-M body to do away with the 'crash box' low gear transmission.

I do want to leave the motor stock outside of an electronic ignition conversion.

Remember that I plan to pitch the 13" wheels for 14's when I swap on 1973+ disc brakes and matching bolt pattern rear end.

Realistically; what can I expect for MPG in average driving and for approximate 0-60 MPH acceleration times?

On another forum I mentioned that I have a lead on a 1966 Dodge dart locally.

Car has a Slant Six (probably a 225) with a 3 spd on the column.

Clutch is history and such being the case; I plan to bolt up an all synchro 3 gear from a 1970's A-F-M body to do away with the 'crash box' low gear transmission.

I do want to leave the motor stock outside of an electronic ignition conversion.

Remember that I plan to pitch the 13" wheels for 14's when I swap on 1973+ disc brakes and matching bolt pattern rear end.

Realistically; what can I expect for MPG in average driving and for approximate 0-60 MPH acceleration times?
Depends on rear gear ratio,you can change out any gear.3.23,s or 3.55,s are good for both highway and street in a 6 cyl. car.My 2 cents.

Well, I have a '65 barracuda 225/6 auto, 7 1/4 with 2.93:1 gears. I'm getting around 20 miles to the gallon. I'm driving it like a grandma being it has the holley 1 barrel. So I start out nice and slow. It has absolutely NO BALLS from dead stop to around 45 mph. I hope this helps you. I figure you;ll get better than that if ya keep your foot out of it.

Had a '69 Coronet wagon, 225, 1bbl holley 3.23 gears and the 833 o/d and got 22 highway.
With the 2bbl bbd carter I got over 25....
I have no clue what the '68 is getting 225, 904, 3.21
My '61 Valiant 225 1 bbl 904 323 got 15

If you change over to a super six 2 bbl intake & carb rather than the 1 bbl you will see improved milage between 22 and 24 mpg or better and responce will improve too. Mine did in a "snap" like that, I suspect the 2bbl handles air and fuel better than the 1 bbl. If you drive like you did with the 1bbl you should see the 21/22 mpg, watch your foot do the speed limit and you'll see the 23/24 mpg. Plus the hard starting on cold mornings improves, won't go away but improves. That helps the battery . Oh! yea, the motor will still be stock.

I plan on changing my 64 4speed/6 over to the 4speed overdrive from a later 6. I even had the aluminum slant 6 to go with it but some one stole it for the scrap value.
Lynn

-
Back