1966 Dodge D-Dart Lightweight Trans Am Race Car

-
These Trans Am cars get very cut up over the years. I think pre restoration pictures make a huge deal.

Looks pretty rough on the resto side, but maybe if those are original raced parts, then ok. But even in a race car you run some sort of boot on the shifter to keep flame or exhaust out of the drivers cockpit.

ddartdude may have some more information on this car. Would of been nice of them to post the data plate showing it's a LO23 car.

ddartdude may have some more information on this car. Would of been nice of them to post the data plate showing it's a LO23 car.

The Trans Am car is a true D/Dart. I have pictures of both the VIN tag and the fender tag. I could be wrong, but I believe it doesn't have the correct D/Dart engine in it. I think it just says it's a race prepared engine. Although, he could have taken the engine from the other D/Dart (my old car) that he has on the block. That's correct, Mr. Ellis owns both cars and the one-of-one Shelby Mustangs that's going on the block.

When I shipped the D/Dart to Ellis' middle man, the car had a healthy '67 273 2-barrel engine in it. I believe that engine is still in my old car. I also sent the original engine on a pallet. He could have rebuilt that one for the Trans Am car. That engine had R273-4-26 stamped on it and a casting date of 2-28-66.

That's my old car. It's a real solid car. Some things are wrong with it. A few auctions ago, the owner turned down an offer for around $45. I'm sure he has about that into it. He has the car on the block as "No Reserve". Might be a steal if there are no shill bidders in the audience.

Looks like there were no bidders in the audience. My old D/Dart went for $26,000. Looks like someone lost there shirt. I don't feel bad, I heard his Shelby sold for over a million.

So I don't understand. I thought the D Dart was the D dart. Are yall sayin there were two versions now, or is this trans am version something somebody did TO the original version?

My understanding is that the "trans am" car was an original D-Dart that was actually used back in the 60s in the Trans Am race series ( any car with an actual TA race history has a lot of value).

That still doesn't answer what I am asking. Was the car built by the factory as a trans am Dart, or was it converted? My understanding was that there was ONE type D Dart made. The trans am car, if factory built, would be two. Get what I'm askin now? I'm thinkin they had to be converted.

My understanding is that the "trans am" car was an original D-Dart that was actually used back in the 60s in the Trans Am race series ( any car with an actual TA race history has a lot of value).

The Trans Am D/Dart is a true D/Dart that was built in the run of 50 cars. It's intent was to be drag raced. The dealership/owner decided that they wanted to race it in Trans Am. So they converted it to a road race car. I'm pretty sure that it was raced for one season and then parked. I was told that it has around 500 miles on the odo. Not sure if that's a true number or not. Look under the Ellis Collection brochure on the Mecum website and there is a pretty good write up on the car. It's suppose to go on the block around 1:45 today. This one has a reserve on it. The other D/Dart didn't.

Ellis also owned the Shelby Mustang Super Snake that sold for 1.3 million.

Anyone know who bought the D/Dart? Please let me know.

The Trans Am D/Dart is a true D/Dart that was built in the run of 50 cars. It's intent was to be drag raced. The dealership/owner decided that they wanted to race it in Trans Am. So they converted it to a road race car. I'm pretty sure that it was raced for one season and then parked. I was told that it has around 500 miles on the odo. Not sure if that's a true number or not. Look under the Ellis Collection brochure on the Mecum website and there is a pretty good write up on the car. It's suppose to go on the block around 1:45 today. This one has a reserve on it. The other D/Dart didn't.

Ellis also owned the Shelby Mustang Super Snake that sold for 1.3 million.

Anyone know who bought the D/Dart? Please let me know.

Now THAT answers the question. Thanks.

Super Snake. Yeah. The only rustank to ever get a 427 engine. badass.

I was talking to the guy that bought it and a friend of his drove it out of the west PAVILLION following me. He had no idea of how to drive it. Wanted to let it warm up and idle before moving. Told him to put it in gear, give it some gas and let's go or get out and I would do it. He killed it several times getting out of the building. Open headers in an enclosed building and no choke, how long do you think it would take to sit and idle and be drivable with big lumpy cam.

Well the drag D Dart is very healthy trans am car didn't look at real well. Richard Ellis had several race cars there, real 68 Hemi dart, some ford racers as well as the d darts.

The super snake, they drove it out this afternoon, it was smoking pretty good, but I'm sure that it has sat more than driven in the last 46 years and ONLY 1.3 million

One more day of vacation then back to work for me and no more high octane burning cars to drool over

WildCat,
The guy that bought the D/Dart .... did you get the guys name and where he was from? I'd like to update my registry. That guy stole the car. Ellis had at least another $10,000-$15,000 in it.

WildCat,
The guy that bought the D/Dart .... did you get the guys name and where he was from? I'd like to update my registry. That guy stole the car. Ellis had at least another $10,000-$15,000 in it.

Didn't get the buyers name, he also bought the trans am DDart it is going to the state of Washington.

Send me a PM of your contact info and I will see what I can do.

-
Back