1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/10/mopar-missile-team-entering-hall-of-fame

Mopar Missile team entering Hall of Fame

by David Zatz • Posted on October 6, 2014
For 2014, Mopar will once again dominate the inductees into the Drag Times Hall of Fame, this time with the Mopar Missile crew being inducted.

From Chrysler Engineering, inductees are Al Adam, Tom Coddington, Tom Hoover, and Ron Killen. From Carlton Enterprises, inductees are Don Carlton, Dick Oldfield, and Joe Pappas. From Specialized Vehicles, inductees are Len Bartush, Mike Koran, and Ted Spehar.

There will be a seminar on Sunday morning with nine members of the team on hand to explain their roles in the program from 1970 through 1974.

Other inductees will include Taylor Brown, Tom Chastang, Jim Collins, Rick Hendrick, Wayne and Dan Jesel, Bill Naves, Hayden Proffitt, and Curtis Smith.

The highlight of the induction is the “show, shine, shag (dance), and dine.” The event starts October 17, with a cookout from 11 am to 4 pm, continues with a show on Saturday from 7:30 am to 5 pm, and finishes on Sunday with the induction ceremony and presentations from 10 am to 4 pm.

I'm gonna try to get this Thread back on track with D/Dart Info -- Mystery, Myth and Misconceptions.

There are at least 11 cars still around. I've been able to tie names, original owners and/or current owners, to the following D/Darts......

Dodge City -- AZ
Ferris Miles, Inc -- CA
Glendale Dodge, Inc -- CA
San Rafael Dodge -- CA
Ed. Eisenhauer Motor Co -- CO
Francis & Parsons -- DC
Lenox Dodge -- Ga
Suburban Dodge Sales -- IL
Shortman Motors -- KS
Crouch & Richardson Auto Sales -- KY
Banning & Sons -- MD
Banning & Sons -- MD
Banning & Sons -- MD
Riverview Dodge, Inc -- MI
Riverview Dodge, Inc -- MI
Winona Auto Sales -- MN
Coronet Dadge -- MO
Knoblock Bros. Inc. -- NJ
Sam Brown Dodge -- OH
Frederick Motors, Inc. -- OH
Porach Dodge City -- OH
Southland Dodge, Inc. -- PA

There are 22 cars listed above. This is of 39 of the 50 vehicles that I dealership names and numbers for.

Alan,
Two of the previous owners of your car are being inducted into the Drag Times Hall of Fame this month ( in another week or so, basically). Your car owner's shop had some pretty unique vehicles parked in front of his shop. Many times Ted had the full support of the near by Chrysler Engineering team, and had specially parts delivered to the back door for either street testing, and /or strip testing. Not only was strip testing important but the selling of these cars on Mondays at the dealer. As car number one, your car especially had some unique features. Aluminum bolts and aluminum engine mounts, (maybe not currently), but at one time. These guys did not like to lose, so the Woodward Avenue D-Dart was unique.

It may not have been the fastest of the class at the time, had the best power to weight distribution, etc. but these guys had quite a bit of factory support, and it may have been a distraction from the failed street Hemi in 66. Obviously, Ted's former employee, Jimmie Addison had the fastest street racer around. The engineers sold him the car for a dollar. Ted did some amazing things with both the small and the big blocks at that time. I think it was the success of the drag Hemi that prevented further development of the small block at that time, but who's to say. Obviously the small block was within range of pulling Hemi sales. Strip success was great, but the Hemi option was rather expensive for many.

Within 2-4 years of the DDart you had Hemi Darts and M Codes.
And maybe because of the shortcomings of the 66 they were already by-passing further development, in favor of something else.

This from
http://www.allpar.com/racing/joe-pappas.html
Joe Pappas:
Let’s call it “testing.” I grew up right at 12 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue which was in the middle of everything happening in Big Three cars. Woodward was the main thoroughfare in Detroit. It was the place where all the Ford, Chrysler, and Chevy engineers would converge in the evenings showing off their wares.

If you go back in the history of this area you know that the rise of the muscle car happened on Woodward Avenue. Famous guys like DeLorean would show up out there and play off each other. Friday night they’d be out on Woodward Avenue testing and having a little fun.

Have you ever heard of the “Silver Bullet” car? That was Jimmy Addison’s car. He had a Sunoco station at 14 Mile and Woodward( Spehar's old one). We all used to hang out at Jimmy’s station. And Dave Kanners, who was Rich Maskins’ partner on the Maskin-Kanners AMC-Hornet. He had a station at 13½ and Woodward.

From

http://www.silverbulletgtx.com/history/bullet.html

On the surface, the "Silver Bullet" was pretty much what it appeared to be -- a much-modified Plymouth Belvedere GTX hardtop that was owned and driven by Jimmy Addison, a quiet, matter-of-fact mechanic who worked at Ted Spehar's Sunoco gas station on Woodward Avenue in Birmingham, Michigan. Being good with a wrench, it was perfectly reasonable to assume that Addison simply had a way with Chrysler products, knowing exactly what to replace or revamp in order to turn a "Mopar" into an all conquering street performer. The fact that he had access to all sorts of exotic racing parts was also plausible because his boss, Ted Spehar, was in the business of building racing engines at his station. Presumably, he sold parts to Addison at wholesale.
But Addison, Spehar and the "Silver Bullet" were much more than that. In truth, they were agents of a high-performance hardware and technology think-tank in Chrysler Corporation's factory racing department in Highland Park, Michigan. The 1967 Belvedere GTX in question was actually a rolling test bed for parts and ideas that originated among an elite group of engineers who had plotted Chrysler's considerable racing success in the 1960s. This innovative group, headed by veteran Bob Cahill, and staffed by the likes of Tom Hoover (who created the 426 Hemi) and Dick Maxwell (a member of the legendary Ramchargers racing team), concluded that winning on the racetrack wasn't enough all by itself to win the respect of young buyers. What the situation called for were stock-looking cars, in the hands of seemingly everyday customers, that were faster on the streeet than anyone else's.
Of course, other carmakers such as Pontiac, Chevrolet and Ford reached the same conclusion. The result was a profusion of factory-backed, street-legal GTOs, Mustangs and Chevelles that on any given evening could be found cruising the Detroit suburbs, looking for action. Chrysler's idea was to counter with a street machine so powerful, so fast, that nothing out there could touch it. The first step was to requisition a well-worn Plymouth Belvedere GTX that had been an engineering test car and sell it to Addison for a dollar. ....

(A less than winning D-Dart does not seem to make sense on this street or specifically at this gas station with the Chrysler backing?)

Alan,
Two of the previous owners of your car are being inducted into the Drag Times Hall of Fame this month ( in another week or so, basically). Your car owner's shop had some pretty unique vehicles parked in front of his shop. Many times Ted had the full support of the near by Chrysler Engineering team, and had specially parts delivered to the back door for either street testing, and /or strip testing. Not only was strip testing important but the selling of these cars on Mondays at the dealer. As car number one, your car especially had some unique features. Aluminum bolts and aluminum engine mounts, (maybe not currently), but at one time. These guys did not like to lose, so the Woodward Avenue D-Dart was unique.

It may not have been the fastest of the class at the time, had the best power to weight distribution, etc. but these guys had quite a bit of factory support, and it may have been a distraction from the failed street Hemi in 66. Obviously, Ted's former employee, Jimmie Addison had the fastest street racer around. The engineers sold him the car for a dollar. Ted did some amazing things with both the small and the big blocks at that time. I think it was the success of the drag Hemi that prevented further development of the small block at that time, but who's to say. Obviously the small block was within range of pulling Hemi sales. Strip success was great, but the Hemi option was rather expensive for many.

Within 2-4 years of the DDart you had Hemi Darts and M Codes.
And maybe because of the shortcomings of the 66 they were already by-passing further development, in favor of something else.

Jon Rasbach and Joe Flynn were the 2nd owners of the D/Dart. Al bought it from them.

I'm trying to talk the wife into making the trip up to Henderson. Its about 800 one way. There's a 50/50 chance we might make it up there. Real early this year I heard that they were going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and thought about having the D/Dart stripped, painted and lettered for the show. Decided not to. Don't have a trailer and that would be a real long haul for a novice.

Ted's old car still has the following items:
-- the aluminum motor mounts and the aluminum bolts holding the fenders on
-- the Model 240 - Stewart Warner electric fuel pump
-- the chrome pulleys as seen in the SS&DI article (chrome thermostat housing is gone)
-- the chrome throttle cable bracket
-- the shortened battery tray (Group 26 Battery)
-- the redrilled rear axle to 4 1/2" bolt pattern
-- the numbers matching engine block
-- the radiator
-- the 5.33 gears
-- the lightened front buckets -- half of the bottom springs were removed
-- the rear windows only go down half way.
-- the jack and spare tire tie down brackets were removed
-- the brackets that tie the floorpan to the rocker panels were removed

I think Al Adam added:
-- S/S springs --- stamped with non "P" numbers
-- Lakewood Scattershield
-- Aluminum case Hemi 4-speed -- crashbox
-- Some ungodly high lift cam with a 436 grind profile?

What a great group of guys. They will be in my thoughts this weekend.
Imagine what that car would have looked like if they had access to the titanium.

Does anyone know anything on this car? The original email was sent to Alan Lewis who runs the D/Dart website and he hasn't been able to get any more info from the sender. The web address is no longer good. The dealership isn't on my list. If I knew the last 3 of the VIN, I might be able to match it up with a dealer. HELP!!!!!!!

Any help on find info on this car would greatly be appreciated.
Alan Hvizdos

Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 11:36 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: D-Dart

Just found your site.
Great stuff. fantastic pictures and wonderful stories.
My father bought one of these cars back in the spring of 1966. We even kept the original bill of sale. It
was purchased for $2875 from Mahopac Dodge, or local Dodge dealer. The reason I'm contacting your
site is because I found my fathers old car, and recently bought it for $750. I plan on doing a complete
restoration of the car, including all documentation. I plan to race it at Nostalgia meets. If you would like,
I can forward you pictures of the car from 66', 67' and 68', as well as recent photo's with a general
history. Racing history, time slips and events that my father participated in. I also have information
concerning the D-Dart and its performance as well as general articles.
Just for your information. the car in complete stock form (off the trailor) with the basic 6.95" x 14" tires
ran 14.50's at 93 MPH. Many of my fathers early time slips showed those times. After the installation of
M & H Racemaster Slicks (7" wide), a Sun Tach and Stewart-Warner electric fuel pump, as well as a
distributor re-curve and carb adjustment the car reached 14.10's. My father did pretty well in the
D/Stock class at Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, NY back then, winning 9 class trophies in 66' and winning 11
in 67'. He wasn't quick enough to compete in Stock Eliminator.

If you would like any further information or pictures, E-mail me.

Paul (D-Dart 1 of 50 produced).

1966 Dodge Dart GT 'Drag Package'

Built for one single reason.

To try to be a 'thorn-in-the-side' of the Musser Brothers 'D/Stock' 1961 Corvette.

That Corvette was the Top Junior Stocker in the Country, and the major threat to take the 1966 Springnationals and Indy Nationals.

Dodge had to build 50 cars to qualify for the D/Stock Class, but only '1' was 'The Car'
that was designated to get the job done, of lowering the D/S National Record.

That Dart was to be prepared by Ted Spehar.

The 1966 D-Dart package was 'not' the original blueprint for the D-Dart.

So they were stuck with the heavy bell housing, poor clutch, light flywheel, cast iron manifold, and small valves?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 313
In 2008 this was posted in Jalopy Journal by Gassedbaker near Indianapolis concerning his fathers Corvette

Don't know if there was any follow up?

"havent found any yet still diggin through some stuffs. the car originally was red and said BONZAI on the side.. i think a guy by the name of lee sanzo had it before my father ill hafta call and chat with pops to find out"

This is listed as gasssedbaker's website.

http://www.roadrocketsindy.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 312
http://doverdragstrip.com/home.htm

They have a CD with 3000 photos you can buy.

If the car car was a winner maybe in one of the photos.

Here is a couple quick videos

http://bangshift.com/general-news/a...r-drag-strip-in-wingdale-new-york-with-video/

Forum
http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2750&start=50

I was just looking for the original sender of the email. Or someone that might know who it is. If the guy won 20 class tropheys in 2 years, it must have been a known racer. Just trying to ad another name to my D/Dart list.
Alan

The photo cd has four or so different contributors. You may contact the cd supplier for any information/ contact info. Those four people may know/ remember someone, etc. I always try to go back and re-read for all the stuff I missed or misunderstood the first time. Paul should be the expert on Dover info.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/albanygroup/12177538773/in/set-72157643386909134

Pg 10
[ame]http://www.mopar.com/assets/pdf/service_and_parts/collision_parts/dealerswithbodyshops.pdf[/ame]

It was a car from Dover Dragstrip Wingdale NY with Grumpy driving at Cecil County and Doc Burgess listed as the driver on the door?

Dave Strickler and Bill Jenkins split in 64.
Bill Jenkins was a wrench for Bub Faubel.
Doc Burgess bought a S/S car off of Bud Faubel.
Bill Jenkins tuned and drove the Black Arrow car and won the 65 NHRA Winternationals and took a Hawaiian vacation as an independent driver after beating the favored Ted Spehar prepped factory backed, Woodward Ave. garage (skunkworks) built Houser car.
Bill Jenkins did not get a Chrysler factory ride and went with the Chevy II in 66.
Bill Stiles prepped the Dover Dragway based Doc Burgess Black Arrow car in 66.
Bud Faubel (Shively Motors) turned down a D Dart in 66.
Bill Stiles prepped a D Dart in 66 -D.E. Stetler (original Dodge charter dealer from 1915) and sponsored by the South Central Pennsylvania Dodge Dealers - summer of 66.
The Knoblock Dodge from South River NJ was stolen from Dom Ranaldi's Sunoco gas station in April 1968 (still has title) "Big Bwana"
The Banning Dodge "New Comer" raced at Cecil County - John Armstrong and won at the Nascar drag Winternationals in Dayton Beach in 68 -Eli Patrick driving.

We are looking for info on an Albany Dodge "Ichabob" and a Mohopac NY Dodge labeled D Dart that raced at the Dover Drag Way in Wingdale NY in 66

Saturday Night ~ August 27, 1966

Maple Grove Dragway

The Musser Brothers in the their 1961 Corvette {D/Stock} win Stock Eliminator
with a 12.88 @ 107.89 MPH

They defeated Butch Sentner in his 1966 Buick GS 400 {D/SA} in the Finals.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fnid%3D1955%26dat%3D19660829%26id%3DB7IhAAAAIBAJ%26sjid%3DBJwFAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D4504%2C7864563&ei=8X86VKKSDo6_sQS4roKoAg&usg=AFQjCNETXXhf9kCndRRsgRjEOYIp3LTSjQ

Dave Strickler and Bill Jenkins split in 64.
Bill Jenkins was a wrench for Bub Faubel.
Doc Burgess bought a S/S car off of Bud Faubel.
Bill Jenkins tuned and drove the Black Arrow car and won the 65 NHRA Winternationals and took a Hawaiian vacation as an independent driver after beating the favored Ted Spehar prepped factory backed, Woodward Ave. garage (skunkworks) built Houser car.
Bill Jenkins did not get a Chrysler factory ride and went with the Chevy II in 66.
Bill Stiles prepped the Dover Dragway based Doc Burgess Black Arrow car in 66.
Bud Faubel (Shively Motors) turned down a D Dart in 66.
Bill Stiles prepped a D Dart in 66 -D.E. Stetler (original Dodge charter dealer from 1915) and sponsored by the South Central Pennsylvania Dodge Dealers - summer of 66.
The Knoblock Dodge from South River NJ was stolen from Dom Ranaldi's Sunoco gas station in April 1968 (still has title) "Big Bwana"
The Banning Dodge "New Comer" raced at Cecil County - John Armstrong and won at the Nascar drag Winternationals in Dayton Beach in 68 -Eli Patrick driving.

We are looking for info on an Albany Dodge "Ichabob" and a Mohopac NY Dodge labeled D Dart that raced at the Dover Drag Way in Wingdale NY in 66

I wish my list of D/Dart Dealerships was complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a total of 48 dealership numbers listed. Of those 48, 43 dealerships have dealership names, but, 4 had question marks after the dealer numbers. Of the remaining 7, two have no numbers, two have no names assigned to them and 3 where retained by Chrysler.

With this in mind, I only have one car listed as going to Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh to be exact. The only other North Eastern cars that I have listed are Rinaldi's car and two that went to Norwood, MA, and West New York, NJ. The South Central PA Dodge Dealers might have gotten one of the three Chrysler cars. One of those was shipped on May 1st and the other two went out on May 17th.

1966 Butch Sentner

Butch ran his 1966 Buick GS 400 {400/332 HP} 'MU-Code' convertible in D/SA.

In a 1967 interview with Butch back in the day.

"The 1960 Pontiac's with the 389 'Tri-Power' and the McKellar Camshaft were the cars for the 10.60 to 11.29 Wt/HP Class in 4-Speed.But then, those 1961 Corvette's starting showing up in 1965, and they just tore up the Class. Especially the Musser Brothers, who could run under the 12.95 National Record anytime that they wanted."

"We were asked to run a 400/332 HP 4-Speed, but we turned it down. There was no way we could have outrun the Corvette. Never."

"The 1966 D-Dart was a perfect example. It was a good car for class. I emphasize 'good', not great. That 273 could run, but it was no match for the 'Dual-Quad' 283 in that light Corvette."

"That is why we went with the Automatic and ran in D/SA."

autonews-20pic800-1-jpg.1005848

-
Back