1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
In April 2008 Steve Castilone purchased one of the oldest Dodge dealerships in the country, Hawley Motors. Since then it has grown to be one of the most prominent Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep & Ram dealerships in the WNY area. Located at 306 W Main Street in Batavia, NY

Thunder II (a990) was purchased through Funk & Hawley using a sub dealer:

Thunder II is a 1965 Dodge Coronet A-990 Hemi Charger. It is number 48 of 101 Dodge's built for drag racing only. One of few painted DD-1 medium blue iridescent. Ordered by Jim Almeter, Don Townsend and Neil Marzolf of Attica N.Y. Ordered through sub dealer Greco Dodge in Darien
NY and the order was passed on to the main dealer Funke & Hawley Dodge in Batavia NY. Have original certificate of sale from Greco Dodge and source of ownership Funke & Hawley Dodge. Funke & Hawley Dodge was the oldest family owned Dodge dealership in the U.S. (1916-2008).

http://www.collectorcarproductions.com/lot-details.php?RefNum=r090&EventID=86

Es Muy D/Dart

images

Actually no, we are still searching for more info. We are learning what we don't know about D Dart distribution/ aquisition and appropriation systems. Dick Maxwell was probably under hard times with the plant strike. Communication was quite difficult back then. Imagine being told you weren't getting your factory Hemi that year, we have a new S/S package.

A simple match book gives us an address of a dealer that is quite near Banning Dodge. I worked quite near Banning Dodge in the late 70's and the Parson's address was near a lot of street racing activity, not quite Woodward Ave. The Parson's Dodge D Dart was totaled in some sort of racing accident?

Also, was Mohopac a sub-dealer to Albany Dodge and were sub-dealers utilized in the D Dart distribution system. Grumpy came back to beat the Black Arrow in his Chevy II the following year. It is an interesting connection between Bud Faubel, Jenkins, Stiles and Stalh during that time, and obviously Doc Burgess.

61 Catalina -former tri-power car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 338
Dual quad on 61 Pontiac

Attachments

• image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 314
Jere Stahl shared a shop with Jenkins in Berwyn, PA in 1963/64? prior to moving to York about 90 miles away. Berwyn is on the Philadelphia Upper Main Line (nice neighborhood). York, PA was cheaper.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/about_us.htm

Bill Jenkins and Dave Strickler (York PA) become the Dodge Boys in 64
Bill Jenkins tuned for Bud Fauber in the Spring of 64
In 65, Bill Jenkins drove the Doc Burgess owned Black Arrow out of Dover Dragway in Wingdale NY
In 66 Bill Stiles and Jere Stahl drove a 66 Belvedere Street Hemi to the World Championships Beating Bill Jenkins and his 66 Chevy II.
The Stiles tuned Black Arrow is beaten by Bill Jenkins (Jere Stahl not driving) in Wingdale NY?

Camshaft Comparison

1966 Dodge D-Dart ~ 273/275 HP .................. 1961 Corvette~ 283/270 HP

Part # .................. #2843919 ..................................... #3730697
Code .................... P-820-B ........................................ #097
Lift ....................... .493"/.503" .................................. .394"/.400"
Duration ................ 284* ............................................ 287*
Duration @ .050" .... 240*/242* ................................... 228*/230*
Overlap ................. 60* .............................................. 66*
Lash ..................... .013"/.021" ................................... .012"/.018"
LSA ...................... 112* ............................................. 110*

Upper Main Line Competition at the Devon Horse Show, minus Bill and Jere, who were busy building higher horse power race engines a couple blocks west.

Photo Chris Nichols DHS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 271

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 301
Alan,

I'll update the D/dart list and post it, to see how it looks, even with a
D/Dart 'Question Marks'.

Don't forget 'Peavey Concrete'

Hello! sorry I am so late, lol. I am trying to track down my Coronet's history. Did Peavey Concrete end up with a 67 WO23? Glenn Barnett said that Warren bought their automatic Coronet from a Jim Peavey. Any ideas? Don't want to take away from the D Dart topic. PM me anytime. thanks.

So the cam profiles/ data highlight the limiting small intake valves of the D Dart heads vs the less radical valve lift etc for the larger valve 61 Corvette heads allowed?

Bonzai if I remember was running a 9" Pontiac rear with Chrysler splines. It's original 4-speed housing was filled with Ford gears.

The. Maxwedge website has some great tools/ resources. I highlighted the dealership list in Post #304. The left column near bottom has several other additional resources, such as listing all motor vehicle dept. addresses and a contact link for the Chrysler Historical. The microfilm of the IBM Card is cool because the fender tag and VIN tag originate from info from the card, I believe.

The book Maximum Performance, may be another useful tool, don't know.

Correct

Originally, the 1961 Corvette 283/270 HP 'Dual-Quad' came equipped with the
#3774692 'Power-Pack' Cylinder Heads.

Casting Mark > Rectangle w/Pyramid on top

That Cylinder Head came thru with 1.74" Intake Valves and 1.50" Exhaust Valves.
They had 'medium size' ports {137 CC Intake} and {57 CC Exhaust}, along with
tight combustion chambers from the Factory {Minimum 59.7 CC}.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1964, the NHRA permitted the use of the #3782461 'Fuelie' Cylinder Heads on
the 1961 283/270 HP Engine.

The 'Double Hump' casting Cylinder Heads had 1.94" Intake Valves and bigger ports
{160 CC Intake} and {62 CC Exhaust}.

The Combustion Chambers were bigger {62.07 CC}, but the NHRA permitted them to
be milled to {59.7 CC} for the 1961 Corvette 283/270 HP.

Hello! sorry I am so late, lol. I am trying to track down my Coronet's history. Did Peavey Concrete end up with a 67 WO23? Glenn Barnett said that Warren bought their automatic Coronet from a Jim Peavey. Any ideas? Don't want to take away from the D Dart topic. PM me anytime. thanks.

Peavey or Peavy?
Per Moparts.
Hello! I just found this thread and had to join! Awesome stuff! I bought that car a short time ago from Jim Kramer. I have to ask: I own that car. It was sold new out of Lenox Dodge to Jim Peavy. It was the Barnett SS/BA car after a trade, then Reid Whisnant's, then Glen Warfel's and finally Smokin Joe. Does anyone know any history, or have photos?

One For Research

Sunday ~ May 7, 1967

75-80 Drag-A-Way ~ Monrovia, Maryland

1966 Dodge Dart "The Toy" was classed in C/Stock {Driven by; Jack Frazier}

Competed in 'Top Dog Stock Eliminator' {A/Stock thru G/Stock}

Jack Frazier made it to the 2nd Round where he was knocked out by
a 1966 Chevelle SS396 {Driven by; Bruce DeLong} classed in B/Stock > 12.97 to a 13.38

You can scroll down to the OCR window at the bottom; the drag racing news is after horse racing and basketball news. Week or two prior. Not much help. The track did not open this year. Was making a come back in IHRA 2009-20011/12?

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/8408245/

D-2 THE NEWS, Frederick, Maryland Thursday, April 27, 1967

By BILL WII/-OM The 75 80 Drag A Way in Monrovia started drag racing last Friday night, April 21st. Tommy Hbwes and his 66 Chevy are getting closer each i week to the magic ll second run. He is now turning in the low 12 seconds on most runs. The "See Ducer", a 1966 Chevelle that runs in the class of Super Stock/E, captured his class with a strong 12.64 E.T. at 109.48 M.P.H. One of the biggest troubles the track is having is with tires on factory stock class cars. The rule states the four tires must be uniform in size and width, with a 1 2-inch leave way and a maximum seven inch width. The street tire must have four groves l/16th deep.

FRIDAY NIGHT, APRIL 28TH SUPER ULTRA STOCK BONANZA BONDY LONG MUSTANG Carson Hvman BOUNTY HUNTER DODGE 1 Tom .Sneeden CHARGING COMET Sam Auxier 67 DODGE CHARGER Sam Kennedy VERNON BUCKEYE RACING TEAM 67 DODGE Chick DeNinno THE MEAN BARRACUDA Tom "Smoker" Smith THE ONE TO BEAT DODGE Sam Panutty HONEY BUCKET DODGE Black Jack Frazier BOUNTY HUNTER DODGE 2 Dave Reitz

Don't Miss This Action Packed Night Of Super Stackers! Also Full Night Of Regular Drag Racing And Bonds To All Eliminators

SUNDAY, APRIL 30TH Top Stockers And Modifieds Showdown $50 Bond Jr. Stock Elim. H/S thru 0/S $50 Bond Factory Stk. Elim. All Factory Stock Car* $100 Bond Top .Stock A/S thru G/S A/SP thru D/SP $100 Bond Street EUm. Gasstr*. Super Stock, /MSP, /MP $2$ Bond Off Powder Puffi Any Girl Eligible $300 In Bond* Last Weeks Winners GIANT ASH TRAY LAMP TROPHIES FOR EACH AND EVERY CLASS WINNER

Don't Miss "Top Dog Stock Championships" Sunday, May 7th

-
Back