1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
The track did not have an official street address, just known by the intersecting roads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 399
05-01-66
U Sav Motors, Inc., DBA-San Leandro Dodge, San Leandro, CA

This San Leandro Dart ran in AHRA H/SO-1 class. That translates to H/Stock Option-1. It had multiple carbs, solid camshaft and 266-280 cubic inches.

Per the person that took this photo back in Oct 1966, he had gone to the dealership to look at a D/Dart that they had in stock. He was shown a D/Dart that was sitting next to the dealership but was told it was missing some parts and wasn't sellable at the time.

Attachments

• D-Dart-----San-Leandro-Dodg.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 378
05-03-66
Terry Motor Company, Rogersville, TN

I was giving a copy of an article entitled "Slippery Fish" that was in the May 2000 issue of Mopar Muscle. In it, a guy named Danny Cox from Knoxville, Tenn had a 1966 Barracuda that had a 273 in it. He had racer Gary Brunner out of Maynardville, Tenn do the engine rebuild on it. According to the article, he used a D/Dart motor for parts. The car was PR4 Red with a black vinyl top. Does anyone know anything about this car. I'm thinking if it was a true D/Dart engine, it might have been out of the Terry Motor Company car.

I'd post the article but I only have a crappy Xerox of it.

Alan

Don't know if it's the same Jack Frazier. Mainly dirt/ sprints south central PA.

emmr.org/EmmrTimes_no3_2012_v4

Some Help

'1966' Nascar Drag Racing 'Stock Class' Weight Breaks

0.00 to 6.99 ......... S/S
7.00 to 8.69 ......... AA/S
8.70 to 9.49 ......... A/S
9.50 to 10.10 ....... BB/S
10.11 to 10.59 ...... B/S
10.60 to 11.29 ...... C/S
11.30 to 11.88 ...... D/S
11.89 to 12.49 ...... E/S
12.50 to 13.24 ...... FF/S
13.25 to 13.99 ...... F/S
14.00 to 14.99 ...... G/S
15.00 to 15.59 ...... H/S
15.60 to 16.99 ...... I/S
17.00 to 18.99 ...... J/S
19.00 to 21.49 ...... K/S
21.50 to 24.99 ...... L/S
25.00 to 27.99 ...... M/S
28.00 and up......... N/S

Automatic Classes stopped at 'I/SA'.

Paul,
Is this in reference to a 66 Dart classed in C/stock in 1967?
"The Toy" I think I saw in a photo/ video was green with gold lettering?, but it may have been a post car?

This may be the same Wayne Baxton from Boch Dodge? He may know if any D/Darts passed through the shop if it is?

Shipped 05-09-66
Holton Dodge Inc., Atlanta, GA.

This is the other D/Dart that was sent to GA. The first one went to Lenox Dodge and was probably the one that Bill Tanner raced, the 'Little RAMcharger' since he was part of their racing team.

So does anyone know anything about the Holton D/Dart?

CL,
Thanks for the lead on Wayne Buxton. I sent an email to one of the Waynes' that I found on the internet. We'll see if it's the right one.
Alan

With over 16,000 views, you'd think that someone other then 69 Cuda 440 and Clroads would have some info on D/Darts. Help me out if you can....................

How about this D/Dart?

Shipped 05-16-66
Arrow Dodge, Covina, CA

Alan,

Figured it was Covina. You've got me hooked on these cars. I'm wanting to try and reproduce one of those 273's with reproduced D-Dart headers for a '66 Valiant. Back in '66 in high school all I could think of at that time was HEMI.

Russ.

Information Digging

You have to search the 1966 and 1967 NASCAR Drag Racing results,
and you will find a lot of information about the D-Darts.

Be advised, that they were classed in C/S {10.60 to 11.29 Wt/HP} in NASCAR.

Information Digging

You have to search the 1966 and 1967 NASCAR Drag Racing results,
and you will find a lot of information about the D-Darts.

Be advised, that they were classed in C/S {10.60 to 11.29 Wt/HP} in NASCAR.

Thanks for pointing me in the NASCAR direction. Now, what liturature do they have the results in? Looks like I'll be spending some money. I think Drag News at one time had a couple of CD's of all their liturature for sale. What others had results of the Jr. Stockers?

What about AHRA, UDRA, NADS and NATAC? What are NADS, UDRA and NATAC anyways?

The photocard that I have on the 'Suburban Dodge Boys' D/Dart out of the Chicago area states it made it's debut July 4th. Per the card, it ran H/Stock by AHRA rules, G/Stock by NADS guidelnes and D/Stock (although not stated, more then likely NHRA). The car has a teardrop hood on it. They received 2 of the D/Darts. One was shipped on May 3rd and the other on June 23rd. Do you think this is the June 23rd car?

I have some of 'The Politician's' Test & Tune time slips from Motor City, Milan, and Detroit Dragway. Also some class racing from National Trails Raceway. I notice that Motor City was a NASCAR track.

So we have the following classes for 1966:
D/Stock -- NHRA
C/Stock -- NASCAR
H/Stock -- AHRA
G/Stock -- NADS
??????? --- UDRA
??????? --- NATAC

Sorry for the rambling...........
Alan

From HAMB

First week out for this car..My friend who was 17 and dropped out of Hackensack HS and worked as a get ready boy.. for a Dodge dealer in Paramus..told me about a customer was going to bring it to Etown RP..for a try at some fun and games.. ..We went and we watched it ending up running in D/STK elim and lost first round (he could not shift that C4speed) ..Pissed off..by the lack of off the tow bar performance ,weeks later he put a full ex. system and and ran it on the street for years.Then moved away.
He Later installed a low mile 340 w/thermo.carb from a wrecked 70 Duster, And beat alot of cars w/ more HP/CI ..up in the BOS Mass. area..Im told that the car eventually ran 12'0s w/ the stick and more mods..at Conn Dragway..and sold it to a Mopar parts dist. from the Lansing Mich. area.in 1976. I lost track of him and the car, well before that.

At the time I thought it so cool that a 273 ci Mopar was to challenge the small block stick class ,Chevy dominace.
Not to be.

NHRA Jr. Stock
Pg 307

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
BOBD1950, JUN 10, 2012 SHARE POST#9207

From HAMB

First week out for this car..My friend who was 17 and dropped out of Hackensack HS and worked as a get ready boy.. for a Dodge dealer in Paramus..told me about a customer was going to bring it to Etown RP..for a try at some fun and games.. ..We went and we watched it ending up running in D/STK elim and lost first round (he could not shift that C4speed) ..Pissed off..by the lack of off the tow bar performance ,weeks later he put a full ex. system and and ran it on the street for years.Then moved away.
He Later installed a low mile 340 w/thermo.carb from a wrecked 70 Duster, And beat alot of cars w/ more HP/CI ..up in the BOS Mass. area..Im told that the car eventually ran 12'0s w/ the stick and more mods..at Conn Dragway..and sold it to a Mopar parts dist. from the Lansing Mich. area.in 1976. I lost track of him and the car, well before that.

At the time I thought it so cool that a 273 ci Mopar was to challenge the small block stick class ,Chevy dominace.
Not to be.

NHRA Jr. Stock
Pg 307

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
BOBD1950, JUN 10, 2012 SHARE POST#9207

I was looking at that Forum/Thread last night. In particular the info on Rinaldi's car and Ted Spehar. I didn't read BOBD1950's story.

I think the car that Bob is talking about was delivered to Arrow Motors in West New York, New Jersey. I think that Rinaldi's and the Arrow Motors car are the only 2 that went to NJ.

Alan

I just found some information on Paula Murphy, the woman drag racer from Granada Hills, Californian.

Supposedly {March 1966} Bob Cahill of Chrysler Performance {Dodge Racing Division} was trying to get Paula to campaign a 'new' D-Dart for 1966 on the west-coast.

Paula was running a 1966 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 in C/SA at the beginning of the year, and she wanted to go with a 4-Speed. But the Oldsmobile Dealers Association in California wanted her to stay with an Automatic.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

An article with Paula Murphy >

I loved the 4-4-2, but I wanted to race a 4-Speed. The '2-Speed' Automatic in the 4-4-2 was not really fun to race. I told the
Oldsmobile guys that I wanted a 4-Speed. But the Oldsmobile Dealers Association was 100% against me driving a 4-Speed. I voiced my opinion.

In March 1966 {March 10 thru March 20} I was involved in the Mobil Gas Economy Run {Boston to New York} and I was going to switch over and drive a 1966 Buick Special {V-6} for Bill Murphy Buick here in Culver City, California.

Bob Cahill of Chrysler Performance was involved in the {Mobil} Gas Race, and heard that I was a bit unhappy with my Oldsmobile deal.

He contacted me and talked to me about getting a 1966 Dodge Dart that was to be 'race-ready' for D/Stock with a specially prepared 273 with a 4-Speed.

He said that Dodge could work out a 'Factory' contract deal with
the Dodge Dealers in California, where I would race the Dart on the West-Coast in Division 7. It was a pretty good deal, where all the expenses would be covered. And, they would have my friend {Dick Landy} set up the car.

-
Back