1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
31 bids; 2 days left, 20.1k; reserve not met.
Too bad it didn't have a front valence to protect lower radiator.

Ended at 23.5k. Reserve not met. 111 watchers and 33 bids.

Imagine what the Trans Am Darts were like on a track?

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MOT48mQhOOA[/ame]

What is new on the D/Dart front..................

I was told about another D/Dart that may be around. That would make 12 that are survivors. Still trying to verify the numbers on the car.

I was contacted by the writers of the 'Mopar Magazine' that you may see laying around on the tables in the service waiting areas of the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships. They were going to do an article on the Trans Am D/Dart but I'm pretty sure the article will have info and photos of the drag cars.

Speaking of the Trans Am D/Dart. I don't believe the car has any numbers stamped on the body (radiator Support and package tray) or the people that work there don't know what to look for. I talked to them twice on the car and they said there were no numbers. I know that the numbers stamped on Phill's D/Dart don't match the numbers on the fender tag, yet it's a true D/Dart. But no numbers at all? If anyone goes to the Fast Lane dealership, please verify this for me.

Did my weekly D/Dart seach on the internet and found this post. Looks like "CARS" was set to do a road test on the D/Dart but the 'powers that be' decided to test the Toronado and Riviera instead. Does anyone know anything about the "CARS" publication and what month and year this article appeared?

Attachments

• 1966-09_HPC_1966_Toronado_v.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 319
Hi Alan,
Marty Schorr test drove the 1965 Dart GT 235 HP in the summer of 1964. Don't know about the DDart.

Don't have that exact result.

1965 Dodge Dart GT (CD) 2/65
273ci/235hp, auto, 3.23, 0-60 - 8.2, 1/4 mile - 16.9 @ 87 mph

1965 Dodge Dart GT (CL)
273ci/235hp, 4spd, 3.23, 0-60 - 9.3, 1/4 mile - 16.4

Slightly slower than the Barracuda

1965 Plymouth Barracuda (MT)
273ci/235hp, 4spd, 3.55, 0-60 - 8.0, 1/4 mile - 16.1 @ 87mph

1965 Barracuda (S/SC)
273/235hp, 4spd, 3.91, 0-60 - 7.5, 1/4 mile - 15.90 @ 89mph

1966 Dodge Dart (CC)
273ci/275hp, 4spd, 4.86, 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 14.33 @ 94.21mph

Nice site:
http://roadtests.tripod.com

Per the second comment, it was a 66 Convertible. Not a D/Dart.

The D/Dart on the 'My Classic Garage" site is my old D/Dart. The first one that I bought. Found it listed in Hemmings back in Nov, 1998. I wish I still had that one. I'd be driving that one all over the place. The original owner drove it over 125,000 miles before he parked it. He drove it 75,000 miles with the 4.86 gears in it -- on the freeways in California. It was in really bad shape when I bought it. Really bad shape!!!

April 26 1970, I found myself on a used car lot in Redwood City CA. While my dad hammered out a deal on a '62 T-bird, I wandered to the back of the lot to check out a little white Dart. Drawn to the 3" chrome exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels, I popped the the hood...headers and a Holley! Bare bones, no console or radio. " Take her home today for $1595", the salesman chirpped. "Naw, I'm goin' into the Air Force tomorrow"......"Regrets, I've had a few....." or so the old song goes (sigh).

Third comment (D Dart's second) was his red convertible after basic training and tech school later that year,
Fast forward to October '70. Graduated Tech School in Illinois. Headed home to Cali in my RED '66 Dart GT Convert (Red Ram HiPo 273, 4 SPD, 8 3/4 REAR). Will post pics as soon as i dig 'em out.

Marty, editor, did not remember any specifics, but said they did test a modified Dart at some point. Mopar the Performance Years is a compilation of many of the (high performance) Cars magazine Mopar articles from the 60's mainly.

Also,
Found this from across the pond

http://www.influx.co.uk/blog/dodge-d-dart/

Did my weekly D/Dart seach on the internet and found this post. Looks like "CARS" was set to do a road test on the D/Dart but the 'powers that be' decided to test the Toronado and Riviera instead. Does anyone know anything about the "CARS" publication and what month and year this article appeared?

September 1966 High Performance Cars Magazine HPC or a.k.a. Cars.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-...0392487385&action=viewad&itemid=9990447708657

[ame]http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990447708657/1966-09_HPC_1966_Toronado_versus_Riviera_Test_1-8.pdf[/ame]

HPC would sponsor Match races at Cecil County Drag-O-Way in the 60's.

Per the second comment, it was a 66 Convertible. Not a D/Dart.

The D/Dart on the 'My Classic Garage" site is my old D/Dart. The first one that I bought. Found it listed in Hemmings back in Nov, 1998. I wish I still had that one. I'd be driving that one all over the place. The original owner drove it over 125,000 miles before he parked it. He drove it 75,000 miles with the 4.86 gears in it -- on the freeways in California. It was in really bad shape when I bought it. Really bad shape!!!

Wish I had that gas money! Premium @ what 9 - 12 mpg? Could probably run 3rd and 4th in rush hour traffic though?

April 26 1970, I found myself on a used car lot in Redwood City CA. While my dad hammered out a deal on a '62 T-bird, I wandered to the back of the lot to check out a little white Dart. Drawn to the 3" chrome exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels, I popped the the hood...headers and a Holley! Bare bones, no console or radio. " Take her home today for $1595", the salesman chirpped. "Naw, I'm goin' into the Air Force tomorrow"......"Regrets, I've had a few....." or so the old song goes (sigh).

Third comment (D Dart's second) was his red convertible after basic training and tech school later that year,
Fast forward to October '70. Graduated Tech School in Illinois. Headed home to Cali in my RED '66 Dart GT Convert (Red Ram HiPo 273, 4 SPD, 8 3/4 REAR). Will post pics as soon as i dig 'em out.

Clroads,
Duh!!! Thanks for pointing out the D/Dart reference in this article. I skimmed through it real quick and didn't pick up on it.

I can only speculate which car was at that used car dealership, if it was a D/Dart. If I was a betting man, I'd say it was the car that was shipped to San Rafael Dodge, in San Rafael, Ca. I believe that car is curently in the La Honda area which is south of Redwood City. Ferris Miles Inc., which is located in Redwood City, got one of the D/Darts. That is the Trans Am car. I think $1595 back in 1970 was a little high for a D/Dart. In 1968, I bought a used 65 Impala SS (327, 4-speed) off of a dealership lot in Bedford, Ohio for $995.

On the CARS Road Test:
I have a friend that has a friend who worked at "CARS" in the mid 60's. He's checking with him on the D/Dart info in the other article. Supposedly Charlie and George, mentioned in the road test article, ran a gasser that was sponsored/supported in some form by "CARS". Pacers may have been a speed shop where the prep work for the road test cars was performed. That's it so far.
Thanks again Clroads.
Alan

This is a pretty good shot of the D/Dart engine bay. It's the one that is in some of the magazines but with better resolution. Notice the routing of the manual choke cable of the fuel line. They ran t he fuel line up over the inner fender to get it away from the headers. The bracket holding the fuel line up was just a piece of scrap metal that was punched out of a panel. They used an interior trim screw to hold it in place.

Attachments

• ddart-engine062-forweb.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 269
Hi Alan
Marty is the CCO of the Sarasota Cafe Racers, just west of you. He was the editor of Cars (HPC) in the sixties. He was friends with Bud Fabel and others. Still active in the car community.

http://www.carguychronicles.com/2015/04/york-us30-reunion-musclecar-madness.html#more

Maybe you could put together a piece or forward a D Dart article for/ to him. They meet twice a month for lunch. He was the sales part of the Motion part of Baldwin-Motion.

CL,

I'm pretty sure that my contact is friends with Marty. Both were editors of various car magazines back in the day. He hasn't gotten back with me on the "CARS" article other then what I posted about Charlie and George. I will put together something and try to get it to Marty using the email address on the Car Guy Chronicles site.

On the engine compartment photo, the front to back fuel line on the D/Dart was hand bent to go up and over the inner fender to get it away from the headers. A short piece of fuel hose and steel line had to be added to go from this line to the fuel pump. This routing is a dead give away of a D/Dart.

Alan

-
Back