1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
CL,
Thanks for the info on the Pacers. Boy do you dig deep.

Here is a list of cities and states that got D/Darts. Sorry it's not complete. Only 42 of the cars are listed. The Corporation kept 3 cars for disposition. So that makes 45. The 2 Atlanta cars went to different dealerships.

Added some dealership names, campaigned by and survivor info ------

Phoenix AZ------ Dodge City --- Sold to Raymon L. Miller and used as a daily driver
San Leandro CA------- San Leandro Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'MO PAR San Leandro DODGE'
Redwood City CA------ Ferris Miles, Inc --- Campaigned in Trans Am as the 'Ferris - Miles - Westlake Dodge' --- Survivor
Sanger CA
Glendale CA------ Glendale Dodge --- Survivor
San Rafael CA------ San Rafeal Dodge --- Survivor
Covina CA
Santa Monica CA
Grand Junction CO------ Ed. Eisenhauer Dodge --- Survivor
Washington DC------ Francis & Parsons --- Campaigned as the 'PARSON'S DODGE'
St. Petersburg FL
Atlanta GA------ Lenox Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'LITTLE RAM CHARGER'
Atlanta GA
Berwyn IL------ Suburban Dodge Sales --- Campaigned as the 'SUBURBAN DODGE'
Berwyn IL
Overland Park KS------ Shortman Dodge --- Survivor
Irvine KY------ Crouch & Richardson Auto Sales --- Campaigned as the 'BABY GOAT'
Bardstown KY
Winchester KY
Monroe LA
Norwood MA
Hyattsville MD------ Banning & Sons --- Campaigned as the 'BOUNTY HUNTER'
Hyattsville MD------ Banning & Sons --- Campaigned as the 'NEWCOMER'
Hyattsville MD------ Banning & Sons --- Purchased as a daily driver -- Survivor
Grosse Point Park MI------ Riverview Dodge, Inc --- Campaigned as 'THE POLITICIAN' -- Survivor
Grosse Point Park MI------ Riverview Dodge, Inc --- Campaigned as 'MEAT BALL 1'
Winona MN------ Winona Auto Sales --- Owned and raced in 1966 by Keith C.
Kirkwood MO------ Coronet Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'CORONET DODGE' -- Survivor
West Jefferson NC
South River NJ------ Knoblock Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'BIG B'wana'
West New York NJ
Gallop NM
Salem OH------ Sam Brown Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'SAM BROWN DODGE' -- Survivor
Marietta OH
Canfield OH------ Frederick Motors, Inc --- Campaigned as the 'BIG BAD DODGE, jr.'
Cleveland OH
Pittsburgh PA------ Southland Dodge --- Survivor
Rogersville TN
Abilene TX
Murray UT
Lynnwood WA------ Town & Country Dodge --- This car might have been campaigned as the 'MINI MOPAR'
East Rainelle WV

Alan

I see it listed. Did not remember the photo posted by a12. Nice photo. The other Alan has this view posted but it is cropped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 423
CL,
Thanks for the info on the Pacers. Boy do you dig deep.

Here is a list of cities and states that got D/Darts. Sorry it's not complete. Only 42 of the cars are listed. The Corporation kept 3 cars for disposition. So that makes 45. The 2 Atlanta cars went to different dealerships.

Added some dealership names, campaigned by and survivor info ------

Phoenix AZ------ Dodge City --- Sold to Raymon L. Miller and used as a daily driver
San Leandro CA------- San Leandro Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'MO PAR San Leandro DODGE'
Redwood City CA------ Ferris Miles, Inc --- Campaigned in Trans Am as the 'Ferris - Miles - Westlake Dodge' --- Survivor
Sanger CA
Glendale CA------ Glendale Dodge --- Survivor
San Rafael CA------ San Rafeal Dodge --- Survivor
Covina CA
Santa Monica CA
Grand Junction CO------ Ed. Eisenhauer Dodge --- Survivor
Washington DC------ Francis & Parsons --- Campaigned as the 'PARSON'S DODGE'
St. Petersburg FL
Atlanta GA------ Lenox Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'LITTLE RAM CHARGER'
Atlanta GA
Berwyn IL------ Suburban Dodge Sales --- Campaigned as the 'SUBURBAN DODGE'
Berwyn IL
Overland Park KS------ Shortman Dodge --- Survivor
Irvine KY------ Crouch & Richardson Auto Sales --- Campaigned as the 'BABY GOAT'
Bardstown KY
Winchester KY
Monroe LA
Norwood MA
Hyattsville MD------ Banning & Sons --- Campaigned as the 'BOUNTY HUNTER'
Hyattsville MD------ Banning & Sons --- Campaigned as the 'NEWCOMER'
Hyattsville MD------ Banning & Sons --- Purchased as a daily driver -- Survivor
Grosse Point Park MI------ Riverview Dodge, Inc --- Campaigned as 'THE POLITICIAN' -- Survivor
Grosse Point Park MI------ Riverview Dodge, Inc --- Campaigned as 'MEAT BALL 1'
Winona MN------ Winona Auto Sales --- Owned and raced in 1966 by Keith C.
Kirkwood MO------ Coronet Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'CORONET DODGE' -- Survivor
West Jefferson NC
South River NJ------ Knoblock Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'BIG B'wana'
West New York NJ
Gallop NM
Salem OH------ Sam Brown Dodge --- Campaigned as the 'SAM BROWN DODGE' -- Survivor
Marietta OH
Canfield OH------ Frederick Motors, Inc --- Campaigned as the 'BIG BAD DODGE, jr.'
Cleveland OH
Pittsburgh PA------ Southland Dodge --- Survivor
Rogersville TN
Abilene TX
Murray UT
Lynnwood WA------ Town & Country Dodge --- This car might have been campaigned as the 'MINI MOPAR'
East Rainelle WV

Alan

Doesn't anyone know of any other D/Darts that were raced? Or purchaced by anyone? When I posted this list I was hoping to get some input from other members. I can't update the list without any help....I accidentally left the 'BOUNTY HUNTER" off the Survivor list. Getting old and forgetful.

The 'Mopar Magazine' (2015 Issue 2) has an article on D/Darts. It is just coming out. It's only available at dealerships. I'll scan my copy and post it when I get a chance.
Alan

* Doug Headers {Under-Chassis Type} > To be placed in the Trunk Compartment with a special 'Y-Shaped' Exhaust Pipe connector. {Headers to be installed by Racer}

The car would have left with the HiPo Y pipe installed? Alan's Y pipe may be what left in the trunk to be installed with the headers?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 334
Peavey or Peavy?
Per Moparts.
Hello! I just found this thread and had to join! Awesome stuff! I bought that car a short time ago from Jim Kramer. I have to ask: I own that car. It was sold new out of Lenox Dodge to Jim Peavy. It was the Barnett SS/BA car after a trade, then Reid Whisnant's, then Glen Warfel's and finally Smokin Joe. Does anyone know any history, or have photos?

Admittedly, spelling is not my streghth. It's been an organic and fluid search as I've learned and been helped by some very nice people. I'm just trying to find out some history. Does anyone know if it's the same Peavey or Peavy?

Longtime Mopar Racer Bill Tanner Passes
2/25/2005
Atlanta, GA Share |

If you grew up in the South and were any type of drag racing fan, you know the name Bill Tanner.
Sadly, Bill succumbed to cancer at 2 AM February 24. Services will be held Saturday, the 26th, at Memorial Park South, in Flowery Branch, Georgia, 770-967-5555.
Bill was the South's premier Mopar racer, beginning with a slant six Lancer. His 413 '62 "Ramcharger" was virtually unbeatable until the Hemi came along. He briefly campaigned a rare 1966 "D" Dart, named the 'Lil Ramcharger', while assisting Larry Lawrence on his former Ramcharger owned '65 Hemi Dodge.
Billy Aiken, owner of Atlanta's Lenox Dodge, helped Bill acquire an original 1968 Hurst built Hemi Dart, one of only 70 ever built.
Bill literally 'earned a living' with this SS/AA car from 1968 thru 1970, often racing 3 nites a week. This was an era of racing we'll never experience again, and Bill was at the 'top of the heap'
In 1970 he was awarded an Eastern version of the Dodge Safety and Performance clinic from Chrysler, which was already represented by the 2 Plymouth teams of Sox and Martin and Don Grotheer, plus Dick Landy's Dodge from the west coast.
Bill was an awesome mechanic, great driver and competitor and a true 'racer'. He was just a 'good ol' Southern Boy' who earned a living doing what he loved, and was great at..
He is survived by his wife Katie.
Southern 'racing roots' has lost one of it's founders and stars.
He taught me all I know
Terry Earwood

http://www.dragraceresults.com/fullstory.cfm?id=1334&type=2

Terry Earwood drove the Little Ramcharger for Bill Tanner. Peavy Concrete, owned a second D-Dart in the Atlanta area, which never beat Little Ramchager.

http://www.seriousviewers.com/d-dart/story6.htm

From

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=75320.15;wap2

Dealer code
For dealership info need vin to look it up Or will check old WW list for Bob Mc Bride. Daytonas that sold in Indiana I can list for you

Atlantic Dodge received several wing cars:

386568 365 ca Atlantic Dodge E Los Angeles, Ca
381538 * 216 * ca * hemi * Atlantic Dodge E Los Angeles, Ca * 8/27/1969

CL,
I think I sent the guy with the wing car registry a pm on the Atlantic Dodge dealership code. He never got back with me. I'll have to try again. My records show that no D/Darts went to Atlantic Dodge but the Car Craft article states that their test car was prepped by them.

On the Bill Tanner car....according to my almost complete list of D/Darts, two cars were shipped to Atlanta, Ga. One went to Lenox Dodge and the other to Holton Dodge. I think Tanner got the Lenox Dodge because of his friendship with Bill Aikens. That would mean that Peavy Concrete got thew Holton Dodge. I could be wrong.

I think Tanner owned and drove the D/Dart and Terry Earwood was an "as needed" driver. Same thing happened with the Banning car. Banning Jr. was an "as needed" driver of that car.

Anybody have any first hand knowledge of the Bill Tanner and Peavy Concrete D/Darts? Any help would be appreciated.
Alan

I am still looking at the Holton and the other Atlanta dealer(s). Still following up on Atlantic Dodge. Maybe Landy was associated with that dealer for car prep for the testing, maybe closet to the track or something. Terry should be at Skip's.

[ame]http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9980393010411/1966-08_CC_D_Dtock_273_Dart_Test_1-4.pdf[/ame]

Paul --- We miss you and your D/Dart info.

With that said, my old D/Dart is going on the block again. Saturday Lots for Dallas 2016

According to my records, this will be the 7th time it's been across the block since I sold it. Don't like the exhaust system on it.

Still looking for info/stories on D/Darts. Send any info to ddartdude at aol dot com.
Thanks.

With that said, my old D/Dart is going on the block again. Saturday Lots for Dallas 2016

According to my records, this will be the 7th time it's been across the block since I sold it. Don't like the exhaust system on it.

Still looking for info/stories on D/Darts. Send any info to ddartdude at aol dot com.
Thanks.

Man, that car just seems to just float around. Too bad it's viewed as a money maker instead it appears to be cash cow. At least it's not driven around by some hack who probably trash it.

Man, that car just seems to just float around. Too bad it's viewed as a money maker instead it appears to be cash cow. At least it's not driven around by some hack who probably trash it.
If I was going to buy it, I'd be driving it. That was my intent when I was putting it together. After all, it had about 128,000 miles on it when I got it. I built the engine to be driven. I put a pig with 3.91 gears in it to play around with. God only knows what was done to the engine and rear since I sold it.

If I was going to buy it, I'd be driving it. That was my intent when I was putting it together. After all, it had about 128,000 miles on it when I got it. I built the engine to be driven. I put a pig with 3.91 gears in it to play around with. God only knows what was done to the engine and rear since I sold it.

Yeah, a lot of hands in the soup on this one. Probably sits a lot, and only driven on test drives with a potential buyer however the few that have been interested in the car. They want too much for that car and it would take some $$ to get it back to speed.

Thats a really weak description if they want to get the most for this car. There's no specific history of that particular car, like who raced it and when. You can have a 300 year old axe or you can have a 300 year old axe that George Washington used as a kid.

Thanks.
I don't like the exhaust either. Any guess what it may go for this time around? I need to win the lottery! lol I see it has a Hurst shifter. I see a Inland shifter. Must have the conversion that Brewers has available. Always interested in these cars. toolmanmike

@toolmanmike I wonder if maybe we could give Paul some kind of cool avatar? Just the question mark isn't good enough, IMO for all that he contributed.

-
Back