1966 Dodge D/Dart ~ 'Mystery, Myth and Misconception'

-
Thanks for the info on Paula. The car that she was going to get must be the one that Walker Dodge had advertised in Drag News. Chrysler took posession of 3 of the cars. The earliest of these three was shipped on May 1st.

Can you come up with the date when this issue of Drag News was pubished? Part of it is cut off. I'd like to find the editions before and after it to see when it first came up for sale and how long it was advertised. I've found a couple of sites that have DVD's of all the issues of Drag News for around $100.00.

Also.......could you PM me your email address so we can trade dealership info on these cars. I shouldn't have posted what I have as far as dealership names go.
Alan

Attachments

• WalkerDodge-Rotated-2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 455
Just did some searching on the internet and found a site called DragWorldUSA.com. They have a bunch of old publications listed. Not sure if the site is even up and running.

Anyways, I think Volumn #12 -- No. 4 might be July 8, 1966. I could be wrong. The list that the guy has indicates Drag News had a really bazaar numbering system.

The other 2 Chrysler cars went out on the 17th.

Alan

BINGO

Drag News {Released on Friday's}

* April 22, 1966 ....... Volume 11 ~ No. 48
* June 3, 1966 ......... Volume 11 ~ No. 51
* July 8, 1966 ....... Volume 12 ~ No. 4
* July 15, 1966 ........ Volume 12 ~ No. 5

I'm looking for the dealership info on the following D/Darts. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Alan

* LO23D62 653895 ........ Dealer Number and Name missing

* LO23D62 653899 ........ Dealer Number and Name missing

* LO23D62 653900 ........ Dealer Number 56013 ----- Dealer Name ????

* LO23D62 653911 ........ Dealer Number 56187 (?) -- Dealer Name ????

* LO23D62 653927 ........ Dealer Number 55674 ----- Dealer Name ????

It is a 'D/Dart'

'Chicagoland Dodge Boys'

AHRA in 1966

The 1966 Dodge Coronet {Formula 1, B/Stock} was
a 4-Speed with a 383 with a Dual Carb set-up and a Solid Camshaft.

The 1966 Dodge Dart GT {Formula 2, G/Stock} was an 'original' D/Dart that was converted to a Hydraulic Camshaft and with a Dual Carb set up.

Engine bored +.040" equals 280 Cubic Inches.

The '18' is the Handicap Designation for engines with a 280 to 292
Cubic Inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gothemi/JackThomas66.jpg

It is a 'D/Dart'

'Chicagoland Dodge Boys'

AHRA in 1966

The 1966 Dodge Dart GT {Formula 2, G/Stock} was an 'original' D/Dart that was converted to a Hydraulic Camshaft and with a Dual Carb set up.

Cubic Inches.

Not sure how you found the photo of the Chicagoland D/Dart. I'm impressed at your keen eye.

How about Dick Maxwell and his personal D/Dart. Any info on it?

Attachments

• 273Wedge---2-1-1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 380
It is a 'D/Dart'

'Chicagoland Dodge Boys'

AHRA in 1966

Cubic Inches.

Same car, different drivers.

Attachments

• JackThomas66.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 352
  • ddart001---resized.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 359
Enlargement of the Suburban Dodge Boys Car. It's the same car that is parked next to the Chicagoland car.

Attachments

• ddart001-2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 358
1966 AHRA 'Stock Class'

Formula 2
G/S ...... 280 to 299 Cubic Inches
* Multiple Carburetion
* Hydraulic Camshaft
* Handicap '18'

Formula 5
G/S ...... 280 to 299 Cubic Inches
* 4-Barrel Carburetor
* Solid Camshaft
* Handicap '18'

Formula 5
H/S ...... 260 to 279 Cubic Inches
* 4-Barrel Carburetor
* Solid Camshaft
* Handicap '19'

I got an email over the weekend from one of the previous owners of this D/Dart. A few years ago he asked me if I wanted to buy it but I had to decline. It's another one that the engine blew up on and then parked. Well, he sold it to a gentleman that plans on racing it. I think the plan is for a stroker motor.

Attachments

• Hi-Perf-Cars-Aug-1967-2-res.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 327
Always fun to catch up with you guys and the D Dart info you've found. Great job all. tmm

Hey Alan,

Have you tried talking with the NHRA museum in Pomona, CA. I know they have a lot of historical data. Also, still snooping around on that Mt Vernon, WA D/Dart. No luck so far.

Two old time NW racers, Dave Wren, still active. Runs nostalgia races up at Mission BC. I guess Dave wasn't around the area in 66 since he origianlly came from Montana. He's pretty much in the know on the drag racing happening of the time.

Bill Stewart, don't know much about him other than he was big into SS racing in the western part of WA State.

Here's another lead. I can't get into it so I don't know if it's good

www.draglist.com

Also, here's an address for the Arlington Dragstrip Reunion. I've been told that Mt Vernon D/Dart ran there in the day.

info@arlingtondragstripreunion.com

John

Attachments

• lilram.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 264
Hey Alan,

Have you tried talking with the NHRA museum in Pomona, CA. I know they have a lot of historical data. Also, still snooping around on that Mt Vernon, WA D/Dart. No luck so far.

Two old time NW racers, Dave Wren, still active. Runs nostalgia races up at Mission BC. I guess Dave wasn't around the area in 66 since he origianlly came from Montana. He's pretty much in the know on the drag racing happening of the time.

Bill Stewart, don't know much about him other than he was big into SS racing in the western part of WA State.

Here's another lead. I can't get into it so I don't know if it's good

www.draglist.com

Also, here's an address for the Arlington Dragstrip Reunion. I've been told that Mt Vernon D/Dart ran there in the day.

info@arlingtondragstripreunion.com

John

John,
This is what I have on the Mt. Vernon Dodge. Remember my records are incomplete.

I have one car being shipped to Town & Country Dodge in Lynnwood, Wa. on June 6th. This could have been the Mt. Vernon D/Dart since the cities are only about 45 miles apart and both are on I-5. A deal could have been made by the dealerships to drop the car off at Mt. Vernon instead of Lynnwood.

As the story was told to me by Kelvey .... At the time Mt. Vernon Dodge was owned by Ned Vandine. Kelvey was at the dealership the day they got the D/Dart in. The engine was sent to Precision Eng in Seattle for blueprinting. The D/Dart had 'Mini Mopar' lettered on the doors and was driven by Louie Parker. Mt Vernon Dodge raced the car for 3 years. The car was unbeatable! Kelvey said it ran a best of 13.0 @ 111.9.

Kelvey bought the car around September 1969 from Mt. Vernon. He eventually traded it to Dewey Griffin in Bellingham, Wa. He gave Dewey all the paperwork with the car.

And that's all he wrote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alan

As far as I know the stock Charger 273 intake was modified to accept a Holley carb. The numbers are: part #2536564 with casing numbers of 2536563 and 2536771 for Clean Air Package. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. tmm

Thanks. Just bought a 771. Got a huge weird threaded blind hole behind the carb flange. Thought it might be a marine manifold or a one off casting. Stout enough to use for a screw in lift ring.

Thanks. Just bought a 771. Got a huge weird threaded blind hole behind the carb flange. Thought it might be a marine manifold or a one off casting. Stout enough to use for a screw in lift ring.

The Clean Air Package was California Emissions. The threaded port should be for power brakes. It can be plugged if not used.

-
Back