1967 Barracuda fastback fender tag deciphering

-

swimgpool

Reaction score
Can anyone help with fender tag decipher on my 67 Cuda Fastback?

IMG_9365.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

Barracuda fastback, 273 2-bbl, 4-speed, 14" tires black wall, built 4-27-67, 02055 shipping order, 3.23 open rear, High price black buckets, Racing Green metallic, black upper door frame paint, decor package peddle dress up 150 speedo woodgrain on IP and door panels ash trays in rear arm rests, M-2 nobody knows, AM 2-watt radio, tachometer, buckets, console, outside LH remote mirror, sold car...

Get a copy of the IBM card, search for Chrysler Historical Services.

There is info on the tag BUT not as much as on a broadcast/build sheet. The IBM card will have more info than on the fender tag and being 67 Stellantis Historical will have a copy of your IBM card

post number 1 has the contact info.

Chrysler Historical new contact info.

BUT last month I was notified they are relocating their offices and they will be out of commission for a few months. You can still send in requests but I would suspect a greater chance that they could get lost in the shuffle

This is all the info you can expect to find on the IBM card (this clear blank card provided by VintageRacer67 in post 23 of the link above)
As you can see there are only 80 columns so only 80 characters can be displayed, a build sheet has significantly more.

if you need help decoding after you get yours PM me.

1707663092221.png

I don't see them in your photos, but, M2 might be bumper guards.

AC four speed car = cool.

Interesting that AC is on B body tags for 67, but not A?

I don't see them in your photos, but, M2 might be bumper guards.
That's what I thought, but I can't corroborate it, plus there are none on this car. Funny thing is M2 shows on a tag in Galen's decoding book but doesn't mention it...

M2 is on my fender tag as well.
All options/codes accounted for, and it only has a few.
I have the IBM build card, along with the letter from Chrysler Historical listing all codes and meanings.

M2 is the only one left out.

Having looked at multiple IBM cards, fender tags, buildsheets, VINs (for multiple cars of FABO members and others) I have never come across anything that definitely answers what M2 is exactly.

I even recall a few conversations I had with Chrysler Historical, I forget her name at the moment, but she sent me copies of other info she had and nothing on M2.

I'll have to look and see if M2 shows up on cars not built at Hamtramck.

This is from the 66/67 Charger source guide site-

M2 = This is not an "option" on the car, it stands for the car was made on assembly line #2 at the factory. There were 2 assembly lines for the 67 Chargers & Coronets and if your car was assembled on "line #2", it was coded this way.

Not sure if it's accurate or what their source is.

Source Guide

Definitely not Hamtramck.

Iirc, it's Line 2 Build.

The VIN tells the plant-

BH29D7x

x= the plant

7 is St Louis I know that for sure.

IIRC 1- is Hamtramck and 2 is Lynch Rd again IIRC.

M2 = This is not an "option" on the car, it stands for the car was made on assembly line #2 at the factory. There were 2 assembly lines for the 67 Chargers & Coronets and if your car was assembled on "line #2", it was coded this way.

Source Guide
I have been hearing this for years, you would think that 50% of the cars would have the M2 code but it doesn't seam that way, unless the 2nd line was an overflow line?

Alan

Source Guide
I'm trying to figure out why they would need to know that on the fender tag......

From my brief stint in factory production work-

A second line sometimes doesn't run on second and/or third shift.

AC four speed car = cool.

Interesting that AC is on B body tags for 67, but not A?
Any way to know how many 67 2bbl 273 4 sp manual transmission fastbacks were made with air? I think there were only 1200 1967 2bbl 273 fastbacks with manual 4 speed.

-
Back