1967 Barracuda Fastback- Project: "Not as Nice as Tony Fields'"

-

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
Hey FABO. I'm relatively new on this forum, but I figured I'd start a progress thread for my "new to me" 1967 Barracuda Fastback. This is the first MOPAR I've owned, but seeing as i'm only 25, I don't think it'll be my last!

This car is surprisingly clean and straight for its age. It has a few bugs to be worked out mechanically. It needs brakes, front suspension components, bushings, and nearly every fluid the car has leak from somewhere :angry7:. That's all getting fixed, though. The previous owner was a paint/body guy and he redid the sheetmetal on the car about four years ago. The color is 2007 Nissan "Liquid Copper" (paint code R12). The driveline is 360/727/8-3/4 with 3.55 gears (or so I was told).

The car needed to be cleaned very badly. It looked like the interior plastics hadn't seen ArmorAll in 20 or 30 years! The majority of the interior cleaned up quite nicely, enough to be a driver that turns heads. The rear seat is in awesome shape, the front buckets need to be reupholstered and the seat backs need a resto too. The center console is in very good shape, as are the kick panels. The dash could use a repaint/resto.

Here are some pics of the opening stages of what will be a long process over this winter and moving forward. First things first, I cleaned the interior the best I could. THEN, I REPLACED THOSE GODAWFUL WALMART PLASTIC HUBCAPS and dryrotted tires with fresh rubber and a nice set of repainted black steelies and dog dish hubcaps. Anyway, enjoy the pics, there's more to come.

Oh, and one last thing... it's not as nice as Tony Fields' car! 8)

Here she is the day I got her home:
100_0878.jpg

100_0880.jpg

100_0879.jpg

100_0881.jpg

Here's the driver's side seat back, half cleaned and treated, and half the way it looked when I got it... dry!
100_0882.jpg

Driver's side door panel cleaned:
100_0883.jpg

Passenger's door panel cleaned:
100_0896.jpg

Missing emblems on the fenders: Ordered new ones from Rick@Laysons and yearone. Installing them soon.
100_0904.jpg

Missing P-L-Y-M-O-U-T-H lettering on the header panel. I picked up a show quality set from a member on here! Thanks FABO! Installing them soon.
100_0903.jpg

Missing antenna assembly. Ordered a new one from Rick@Laysons too!
100_0902.jpg

Driver's seat back reinstalled:
100_0886.jpg

Driver's kick panel cleaned:
100_0884.jpg

Dash cleaned up a bit. It needs paint and the dash pad rewrapped.
100_0888.jpg

Center console cleaned up:
100_0889.jpg

100_0890.jpg

Dry, dusty, rear seat BEFORE:
100_0887.jpg

AFTER:
100_0891.jpg

100_0893.jpg

100_0892.jpg

Headliner and sunvisors wiped down:
100_0894.jpg

Passenger's side trunk trim:
100_0897.jpg

Driver's side trunk trim:
100_0898.jpg

Only got the rear dog dishes and tires installed today. Painting and installing the fronts tomorrow.
100_0899.jpg

Comments/suggestions are welcome from all! More to come...

I like this car!
Need pics of car showing all 4 dog dish, quickly!
Looks like it has a few options.
Are those door panels from a Dart? Anyone?

Like the color nice find

Thanks! the color is what initially drew me to the car, aside from it being a fastback. It's a pretty unique color for a MOPAR!

I like this car!
Need pics of car showing all 4 dog dish, quickly!
Looks like it has a few options.
Are those door panels from a Dart? Anyone?

Thanks matthon! Pics of all four dog dishes coming tomorrow! :D

Nice ride , I like the color .Wish mine was that close to being finished !!
Donnie

Attachments

• My Cuda Hanging Sheetmetal resized0068.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,363
  • My Cuda Hanging Sheetmetal resized0034.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 2,368
  • My Cuda Hanging sheetmetal resized0002.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,373
  • My Cuda Hanging sheetmetal resized0005.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 2,381
Its a 67 alright. The doors are from a 68. Not that it matters. It's cleaning up very nicely. Happy moparing

yeah orginal dog dishes will look WAYYY better! cool car would love to have one of these..

Thanks! I love the look of the dog dishes too. I love them so much that I may look into getting a set of taller/wider ones made up.

I agree! I need to get the image of those walmart caps out of my head!

Nice car! I like it...

Haha! I couldn't WAIT to smash those walmart hubcaps into a garbage pail! The tires that were on the car originally were a disaster as well-- dryrotted, 20 years old, and covered in overspray from when they painted the car. I picked up the fresh tires and hubcaps from a member on here who's local to me. This site is amazing for parts and guys willing to help out!

Nice ride , I like the color .Wish mine was that close to being finished !!
Donnie

Thanks Donnie! Your car is gorgeous, man. Keep us posted with pics of when it's finished.

Its a 67 alright. The doors are from a 68. Not that it matters. It's cleaning up very nicely. Happy moparing

Thank you! Do you mean the door panels are from a 68?

Im jealous. Ill trade you my challenger and all its parts. :)

What was wrong with the hubcaps?
Oh, nice fricken car. Keep up the great work.

Haha, tempting! Dude if you're local we need to cruise with the Mopars. Is there any kind of Mopar club on LI?

Good score, best of luck with it!

what an improvement that one wheel makes!!!

Thank you both!

They were terrible!! :D Thanks for the words of encouragement!

nice work man!!!

Thanks again!

Haha, very tempting! Dude if you're local we have to cruise in the Mopars. Is there some kind of LI Mopar club or something?

Good score, best of luck with it!

what an improvement that one wheel makes!!!

nice work man!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody! More updates soon...

Hey buddy.......nuthin' wrong with the '67 you got. Love the color!

Thank you for the comments on mine.....they are great to hear.

I like what you did with the wheels.....the dog dish caps are a must.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Subscribed!

Tony

Boy, it sure looks great with the dog dishes! You could use the China-Mart caps for skeet shooting! Keep up the great work, It's coming along nicely!

Hey buddy.......nuthin' wrong with the '67 you got. Love the color!

Thank you for the comments on mine.....they are great to hear.

I like what you did with the wheels.....the dog dish caps are a must.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Subscribed!

Tony

Thanks for the compliments, Tony! This car will undergo a serious transformation, I promise you that much. While the car is waiting to get into the shop I'll be doing some more miscellaneous interior work and trying to clean everything up some more. I feel like I have a solid foundation to start from. I'm in desperate need of a clean '67 decklid, as mine is full of rust under the paint, and some miscellaneous trim. I'll be laying down new carpet, adding all of the missing emblems, and fabricating a new "security panel" rear folding door to separate the cabin from the trunk space. All as funds and time allow. At 25 years old I have plenty of time. As for the funds, well, that's another story... 8)

Boy, it sure looks great with the dog dishes! You could use the China-Mart caps for skeet shooting! Keep up the great work, It's coming along nicely!

Thanks so much man. I frisbeed the wally world hubcaps into a brick wall, then swept the pieces into a garbage pail. :D The dog dishes have a kind of low key, sleeper/cop car feel to them. I'm diggin' them for sure.

What kind of dog dishes are those? i've got a 67' too and im lovin the look.

I'm sorry man but I'm not sure what vehicle they're from. I picked them up used for a great price from a member on here who's local to me. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows better than I do.

-
Back