1967 Barracuda Fastback- Project: "Not as Nice as Tony Fields'"

-
Further investigation into this car has revealed some cool options and information. This was a pretty well optioned car when new. It was ordered originally as a 273cid Commando car with a 904 trans and 8-3/4" rear with a 3.23:1 gear ratio open diff, power steering, power disk brakes, and air conditioning. It was originally gold with black interior. It now has a 1975 360 in it with what appear to be factory heads, an edelbrock manifold, and a carburetor that may end up being changed out anyway.

I was told when I bought the car that it had a 727 TF with an 8-3/4" rear and 3.55:1 gear set. It's actually still the 904 with the 8-3/4" 3.23:1 open diff. The 904 was slipping badly when I got it, so a new one with upgraded internals and converter is in the works as well. I'm starting to get really excited about this car, and I can't wait for cruising weather.

The restoration work planned for this car has just leapt to a higher level than originally planned. The entire drivetrain is being dropped out and the underbody is being etch primed and undercoated. The K frame and rear end housing is getting powdercoated as are any miscellaneous bracketry that need freshening. The motor is being dropped out, cleaned up, painted, and the heads are being sent out to a machine shop for a valve job. The motor will be put back together with fresh gaskets and the new upgraded 904 transmission will be installed then as well.

In the mean time, I cleaned up my used set of A body exhaust tips as best I could, and my front bucket seat covers came in from Legendary, finally. They were worth the wait and then some!

100_0991.jpg

100_0990.jpg

Nice work. Beautiful car! Engine looks terrific! I think that plug on your fuel sending unit needs to be hooked up to a breather line, not capped off like you have it...I might be wrong...??

Great find on the car... and can't wait to see more!

Thanks! Your car is shaping up to be a pretty badass machine, man.

Nice work. Beautiful car! Engine looks terrific! I think that plug on your fuel sending unit needs to be hooked up to a breather line, not capped off like you have it...I might be wrong...??

Thanks! Unfortunately, that engine pic was posted by another member of his own car, not mine. I wish mine was in that shape already! I'm not sure on the breather line, I'll look into it though!

Got another progress update on the car. The entire front end is blown apart right now. The rear end, driveshaft, transmission, and motor and K frame are out. Miscellaneous parts are being cleaned, stripped and either painted or powdercoated. The top end of the motor got taken off tonight, and the heads are coming off tomorrow.

More interesting finds as disassembly continued... miscellaneous cotter pins and hardware missing from the suspension in a very dangerous fashion. Loose and/or missing transmission bolts. The flex plate was cracked and someone welded it while still attached to the motor. The thermostat was in pieces in the intake manifold, etc. This car has seen its' fair share of hack mechanics in its' 44 year history.

Moisture was found in the valve covers and an unsettling amount of "sludge" was found in the bottom of the oil pan, along with metal shavings. Here's hoping a full rebuild can be avoided. On to tons of pics...

Calipers now look like new
P1000645.jpg

Cleanup on parts continues
P1000612.jpg

Motor being prepped to be dropped out
P1000597.jpg

Motor, trans and K frame out in one piece, as well as rear end
P1000620.jpg

P1000621.jpg

Rear end housing is going to powdercoat this week
P1000648.jpg

Center section is from a 1961...
P1000640.jpg

The wonderful flexplate repair :angry7:
P1000654.jpg

Pieces of thermostat
P1000651.jpg

Moisture/condensation in valve covers :angry7:
P1000655.jpg

Oil pan sludge :angry7:
P1000665.jpg

I would replace that flex plate with an sfi approved version if you plan on making any horsepower...especially since you heated it up welding it.......just an opinion but for a few bucks you can save some serious down time....just ask me.:-D

Nice build by the way..

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3749.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 619
You are doing a great job on a super Barracuda :cheers:
Envy envy envy :-D Keep up the great work and before you know it it will be a Tony Fields build for sure :cheers:
And yes!!! replace that flex plate, it will not hold up now that it has been tempered with heat 8).
You are making some good decisions on your build :cheers:
And doing a great job posting and keeping us updated 8)
Keep up the great work :cheers:

My 66 is in her nest for the wet and cold days of winter waiting for a warm dry day to do an up grade tune up :-D

Attachments

• Picture 113.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 604
  • Ralley's%20004.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 581
Thanks for the compliments guys! Memike just keep holding on, the warm cruising weather will be here soon!

To avoid any confusion. I DID NOT weld the flexplate like that as a repair. That's what was found when the trans was separated from the motor. A repair like that would never be made on a car that I own. Hack mechanics make repairs like that. It will be replaced. Just wanted to clear the air :D

Sorry if I blamed you....just looking out for your safety and hoping you can avoid frustrating down time:angry7:

I went through a pretty bad break in period with my fat fish and it cost me several months of down time weekend's at a time....seemed like any good days were marred by glitches......the weak chain syndrome.

Back to your build....nice by the way.:-D

Oh...by the way. I did get it all ironed out...except for the serious wheel spin:-D:-D

More pics and keep that sweet fish rolling.

Sorry if I blamed you....just looking out for your safety and hoping you can avoid frustrating down time:angry7:

I went through a pretty bad break in period with my fat fish and it cost me several months of down time weekend's at a time....seemed like any good days were marred by glitches......the weak chain syndrome.

Back to your build....nice by the way.:-D

Oh...by the way. I did get it all ironed out...except for the serious wheel spin:-D:-D

More pics and keep that sweet fish rolling.

Oh I had no intention of sounding defensive with my response. I knew exactly what you meant and that you were only looking out for my safety. :) I appreciate any input you have on any little thing. Someone with a car as nice as yours is an extremely valuable source of knowledge. Thanks again for the compliments and helpful suggestions!

You've got a nice looking 67!!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks man! More updates coming soon...

Mullinax.....can you send me your paypal info so I can set u up with some dental help....:-D

That avitar makes my teeth hurt.

No update on the motor as of right now. However, I did just receive the custom side stripe kit I ordered for the car. The stripe is black and the callout will read "360." I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks on the car.

Stay tuned for more.

Good news: the motor isn't going to need a complete rebuild. It will be painted and freshened up, the heads will be sent out to the machine shop and it will be put back together and dropped back in. It will be mated to the fresh 904. I can't wait to have the car back on the road, although I wouldn't be driving it now anyway. It seems to snow every other day here and everything is completely encrusted in road salt. :(

The undercarriage of the car is now pretty much done. It was cleaned, primed and painted/undercoated. As you can see the frame was done as well. I love the way it came out. You'll also notice from the pictures that all of the new lines are installed too. The gas tank was also stripped and will be painted and reinstalled with a new pad. Check out the pics!

P1000760.jpg

P1000753.jpg

P1000761.jpg

Thanks Tony! Here are a few pics of the K going back together, brakes, and gas tank finished and installed with a new pad. I'm going to see the car this Saturday and I hope to snap some more pics then. Stay tuned...

P1000833.jpg

P1000831.jpg

P1000832.jpg

P1000840.jpg

More progress. The fresh motor and freshly rebuilt 904 trans (kevlar clutches, high upshift, low first gear planetary, reman OE high stall converter, etc.) have come together. TTi headers are bolted on and trans lines are run. The 1.04" FirmFeel torsion bars, Bilstein shocks and struts, as well as the 340 springs, and 1.125" sway bar are in. Getting VERY excited now...

New 904 trans/SFI flex plate
100_1008.jpg

Painted, fresh, and together again on the K frame
P1000957.jpg

P1000955.jpg

Ahh I thought for sure the engine **** would get this thread some love. :(

Anyhow, I ordered a set of two 15x8" black powdercoated steelies from SpecialtyWheel and two BFGoodrich Radial T/A white letter tires in 255/60/15 for the rear of the car today. The dog dish hubcaps will be going back on the new wheels and wider rubber. :D

Stay tuned...

Nice build.
I was wondering if you are going to change or repair the dash pad. I also need to do some thing with mine.
Ridge

-
Back