1967 Barracuda on Long Island, NY

-

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I joined this forum a while back when I was looking into getting a 1971 Duster with a 440 (hence the username). Unfortunately, the sale fell through and my search for a MOPAR continued. Well, today I just picked up a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda with a freshly rebuilt 360, 727 torqueflite, and an 8-3/4" rear. The car is painted a 2007 Nissan color code R12 "Liquid Copper." The car needs some front end work, i.e. tie rods, ball joints, bushings, rotors and pads and the brake system bled. It is also in desperate need of a new wheel and tire combo! It has some fugly hubcaps on it now. I'm in the process right now of trying to source some emblems for the car, as they all seem to be missing. The interior is not up to my standards yet either, it needs to be reupholstered and have the carpet replaced. I'm looking forward to this project! Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think!

Chris

PS: The headlights and dash lights get alternatingly brighter and dimmer as you drive the car. Does this sound like an alternator issue to you?

100_0880.jpg

100_0879.jpg

100_0878.jpg

100_0881.jpg

Welcome back aboard.

The lights getting brighter and dimmer with engine speed sounds normal.

where at on long island? Nice 67 by the way my old man has a 67 knotch

Welcome back aboard.

The lights getting brighter and dimmer with engine speed sounds normal.

Thanks man! Well, the lights pulsate brighter and dimmer regardles of engine RPM. If the car was sitting and idling the brightness would still be changing. It feels like the alternator to me, but the car has no problem holding a charge. Strange...

where at on long island? Nice 67 by the way my old man has a 67 knotch

Thanks a lot! I'm out in Huntington, but once this thing is fully safe for cruising I'll be all over with it. :-D

Welcome aboard! Yup, them's some fugly caps. Just invest in some dogdishes and it'll look terrific. Great looking project you've got. Good to have another 2nd gen Barracuda owner onboard!

Welcome aboard, like the 2 abv me said, those hubcaps are BAD!! Quick fix for the time being, drive with just the rims. If the rims are a little crappy, wire wheel and spray bomb them black. Black steelies with chrome lug nuts looks awesome!! I may have some emblems for the fenders for you. I will reply to your other thread. Great color!!

lose the cheap walmart plastic wheel covers (the plane steel rims would look better) and that is one nice car, the head light problem sounds like a voltage regulator to me

Welcome aboard! Yup, them's some fugly caps. Just invest in some dogdishes and it'll look terrific. Great looking project you've got. Good to have another 2nd gen Barracuda owner onboard!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Where do you get dogdish hubcaps?

Welcome aboard, like the 2 abv me said, those hubcaps are BAD!! Quick fix for the time being, drive with just the rims. If the rims are a little crappy, wire wheel and spray bomb them black. Black steelies with chrome lug nuts looks awesome!! I may have some emblems for the fenders for you. I will reply to your other thread. Great color!!

If you have the emblems that would be amazing! Please shoot me a PM or reply if you can. Thanks a lot!

welcome abord love the color.

Thanks man!

lose the cheap walmart plastic wheel covers (the plane steel rims would look better) and that is one nice car, the head light problem sounds like a voltage regulator to me

Yeah I know it gotta be in the alternator or voltage regulator. I'll replace the voltage regulator and see if it helps.

Search the classified ads on this site, as there are a lot of great folks on here with lots of good parts to sell. That is where I found mine.

Welcome to the FABO , nice car I was just searching craigslist and saw your car are you the new owner or the seller ? Very nice start have your bumpers been painted silver or are they fiberglass? Enjoy

Welcome, that car is bad-a** ! Your 1st project on it is easy...remove the aforementioned cheap wheelcovers! I believe I see it has a/c....sweet!

Welcome to the FABO , nice car I was just searching craigslist and saw your car are you the new owner or the seller ? Very nice start have your bumpers been painted silver or are they fiberglass? Enjoy

I'm the new owner! Thanks for the compliments man! The bumpers appear to have been painted silver.

Welcome, that car is bad-a** ! Your 1st project on it is easy...remove the aforementioned cheap wheelcovers! I believe I see it has a/c....sweet!

Thanks dude! Wheel covers are going directly into the nearest garbage pail as soon as I get home from work today! The car has factory A/C but the compressor and lines are removed. I have them and they'll be going back into the car over the winter.

NICE.......... you done good! Don't just remove those hideous caps, BURN THEM so they may never be used again. I'll be following your progress.

Try a quality regulator, though what you describe is odd, it is something I also see as normal with a low RPM idle.

Cool barracuda, nice color.

Yeah, the wheels will be a massive improvement.

If you can find a set of used P-L-Y-M-O-U-T-H letters you can have them rechromed.

I had mine done and they turned out really nice, cost $35 to have them done, not bad.

PS: The headlights and dash lights get alternatingly brighter and dimmer as you drive the car. Does this sound like an alternator issue to you?

poor ground or voltage regulator or combo of both

Thanks for all the kind words guys, but man am I bummed out. I looked under the car today to see a very bad leak from the tailshaft of the transmission, where the driveshaft enters the trans. It's leaking transmission fluid fast. There's also a leak coming from the gas tank. I was happy to have picked up a set of nice tires and dog dish hubcaps in great shape, but now I'm down and out. Oh well, hopefully I can get this fixed soon. Money sure is tight now though. :(

Hey chris, not sure but you might be able to fix the tranny leak with it in the car. Probably about $10 for the seal. For the gas tank, get a price for a new one installed, I dont think they are that much.

-
Back