1967 charger 383 2 barrel performance mods

-

Go Mango

Never enough beer...
Reaction score
Im looking at a 383 2 barrel thats in a 67 charger.
Seller states that it has a mild cam installed by the previous owner. Its already
got a 4 barrel carb on it. I know about the compression difference in the 67 383s. Question is, is this engine worth trying to squeeze more power out of at a reasonable price?

Hard to say with limited info ??? Are you thinking about buying just the engine or the whole car and what kinda money we talking. Plus what shape are either in ? ie. Any rust, mileage on engine, has it been rebuilt ?

You are welcome...
Ck this link, and my mild mannered 383 at post#12

Where are you and where do you want to end up? What head castings do you have?
The heads are supposedly stock, which would be close chambered 516 or 916 castings if I'm correct. The stock 2 barrel engine was rated at 270hp, 4 barrel at 325hp. It does have dual exhaust now, with factory manifolds. 383-2 was rated 9.2:1 compression, 383-4 was 10.0:1.
Fender tag says its a 383-2. Owner states it was rebuilt .030 over around 1000 miles ago.
No info on the current 4 barrel or intake thats on it.
And yes, I'm gonna buy the whole car. Its in excellent shape from the ton of pictures he's sent me. Haven't seen it in real life yet. He's 4 hours away.

Not looking to build a race car. Damn thing still has factory air that blows cold. I just want something thats not the monster my Dart is.

Pretty much any engine has untap power waiting (head flow) for a few basic mods to wake it up. aka carb/intake exhaust tune and cam. Cam choice mainly limited by heads, cr, stall and gears.

Last edited:
The heads are supposedly stock, which would be close chambered 516 or 916 castings if I'm correct. The stock 2 barrel engine was rated at 270hp, 4 barrel at 325hp. It does have dual exhaust now, with factory manifolds. 383-2 was rated 9.2:1 compression, 383-4 was 10.0:1.
Fender tag says its a 383-2. Owner states it was rebuilt .030 over around 1000 miles ago.
No info on the current 4 barrel or intake thats on it.
And yes, I'm gonna buy the whole car. Its in excellent shape from the ton of pictures he's sent me. Haven't seen it in real life yet. He's 4 hours away.
Well congrats on the purchase and wishing you all the best luck with it.

Thanks guys!
Im dreaming of power steering and automatic transmissions with cold A/C right now! But I'm dreading a 4 hour drive and maybe be disappointed. The guy is insisting on a phone conversation before I come, just so we can talk about it and avoid any disappointments.
Seems like a straight up dude. He's answered every question and provided pictures of everything I've asked for.

Compression is not a problem. Usually 516 heads in 67, but you never know till you check. Should have forged crank and good rods. Cam, intake, a good Carb, quick curve distributor. I'd add a high pressure spring and a windage tray if you are going to wind it up. Get as much info as you can from the previous owner including machine work and parts installed in the engine. Don't go too wild or you'll botch a sweet driving car.

383-2 was rated 9.2:1 compression, 383-4 was 10.0:1
Assuming it was a factory 383-2bbl motor..... If it was rebuilt with forged flat top pistons, since you said it is now .030 over, then the compression is already bumped up from stock. The lower compression was all in the crappy dished pistons. You are gonna find that the cam selection is more important than the static compression anyway, IMO.

The HP 383 had 425 pound feet of torque. STOCK. You figure it out.

Rebuilt, + 0.030", & a 4bbl to replace the original 2bbl.

I would try to find about more about what parts were used in the rebuild. Hotter cam?

Depending what has been done already, there might not be much else to be done without destroying drivability. It is a heavy car with a 383, not a 440.

it would be nice to know what pistons were used, if owner knows ( flat-top or stock dished)

What's that supposed to mean, Rob?
Im not buying the HP 383.
Decoded the fender tag, factory 383-2.
Thats why I'm asking on here.
That means that's what they're capable of with a very mild build.

That means that's what they're capable of with a very mild build.
That's the answer I was looking for! Thanks!
I've sold the dart (pending payment) to the original owner's grandson.
Looks like I'll have to move to the B Body forum.

That's the answer I was looking for! Thanks!
I've sold the dart (pending payment) to the original owner's grandson.
Looks like I'll have to move to the B Body forum.
I would stay right here. MUCH more traffic and info.

No doubt! Im staying here for sure!
Thats why I asked about the 383-2 on this site and not the B body site.

-
Back