Status
Not open for further replies.

shesins

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hi everyone!

I'm doing some surprise research for my partner. I haven't been able to find his dream car in ideal condition online. I pride myself on being able to find something on the internet if it exists in english. So, suffice to say, except for paywall auction sites, I have been very thorough in searching for this car.
We'd be very interested should one of you fine people have it in a garage somewhere (we'd fly down ASAP to see it and test it out should it check all the required boxes).

Its a tall order so I understand that this might not exist anywhere in the world. Or may just take time until it is found.

The car:

1967 Dodge Dart

The specifications that are fairly non-negotiable:
GT
Automatic
2 door
Hard Top
383 Engine
Matching Numbers/no modifications/original parts

Wishlist specifications:
Original paint in Dodge Green
Original tires
Body in excellent condition

Thanks everyone!

Unmolested survivor 67 dart GT factory built 383 big block car ?!? I honestly wish you the best of luck. Thats a tall order for a 52 year old needle in a haystack kind of car. That was already pretty rare in 1967. Factory built big block darts, most of em ended up getting used up and abused on the drag strip when they were new, or even as second hand used cars. Then stripped and junked. If you find what your looking for, you will pay dearly for it. Plus I certainly wouldent trust any original 52 year old tires on anything. Now reproductions from Coker tire would be a fine substitute.

My recommendation is find a clean cremepuff slant 6 or small block V8 67 dart GT, then build that into a 383 big block car. BTW 67 cars were not numbers matching. The engine and transmission date codes would be prior to vehicle assembly date. Actual vehicle vin number stamping on blocks and transmissions did not start until 1969.

Again best of luck to you.
Matt

I know, the needle is actually a microscopic unicorn, youre blind, allergic to hay, and have one hand to search with. I figured I would put my desire out into the world, and see what the world comes back at me with.
And, well, I didn't want to put this in the post but yes, we are expecting to pay dearly for it should this car exist and is willing to be separated from its current owner.

Interesting to know numbers were not matching on the 67. I don't think the Mr. knows that, unless I misunderstood.

Thanks for your advice and well wishes!

The vin partial or last 8 digits started to be stamped in the body in 2 different locations in 1969, along with the last 8 digits on the transmission pan rail on automatics. And on a cast in machined pad on the side of manual transmissions, along with the last 8 digits stamped on a machined pad on the side of the engine block. I know where the body vin digits were stamped in 1969 models. These were put in place in locations making it easy for police to find them.

These last 8 digits on these components matching the vehicles VIN and body vin partial number make it "numbers matching". This was originally done starting in 1969 for theft recovery purposes.

There is also the possibility of finding a 67 that has an engine block with a casting date that's later than the cars build date. Something like this with a later casting date on the block than the cars build date would indicate it has a "warranty block". Like I said these cars were made to be abused, and that's what was done to most of them. Since they were covered under the corporate 5 year/50 thousand mile warranty back then, miss a shift, and blow it up, back to the dealer it goes for a new engine lol. If the warranty block is cast in 1969 or later it will have the machined vin pad but it will not normally be stamped with anything.

Last edited:
I am sure there are not many of us that still own a 67 GTS that we bought new. I made changes to mine to suit myself and didn't really worry about originality because I planned on keeping it.

Close but not quite.
Might still be able to hook you up with this one if it interest you.

20160524_140229.jpg

20160524_140304.jpg

20160524_140412.jpg

457 1967 Dart GTS 383 cars were made, 229 4-speeds and 228 automatics. I have a convertible in GG1 green, but have never seen a hardtop in that color. Mr. Norm built one out of a 273 4-bbl car and drove it to Detroit to plead with the exec's to build 383 Darts for him, I would LOVE to find that car! I have owned 6 1967 Dart GTS's, they are VERY hard to find! Good luck! Here are a couple rare picture of the one Mr. Norm built...

Mr Norms 67 Dart 383.jpg

mr norms 67 383 Dart GT.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you have any 67 GTS you find verified by a KNOWLEDGEABLE person on the subject. as others have said you will be paying a premium for one in survivor condition. There are MANY "Tribute" cars out there and they will sell to you as if it was OEM 67 GTS.

Go to the GTS registry ( http://gtsregistry.com/) and read read read... The Vin should start with LP23H72###### non convertible and LP27H72###### convertible

Good luck in your search. I can tell you as a 67 Dart GT Convertible owner that 67 GT parts are hard to find. convertible parts ( a few more than 3700 were made) are almost impossible to find.

Original tires

when you say tires are you meaning wheels and/or hubcaps?

Last edited:
Will sell you the Mistress but it won’t be cheap ! She ain’t green though.. sb 408 LP23

15D74C93-6D09-435A-8F99-F3AB89D56BFE.jpeg

2AA434ED-9D4B-4524-B1C3-7653BD395417.jpeg

5E9DE7E8-0F9D-4A1C-905D-ED052562CA1D.jpeg

No one's come right out and said it point blank, but what you are looking for is not a GT. It's a GTS. They were the only Darts that came with the 383.

:steering:
I give how much to pry her outa your hands ?
You will need a shipping quote from Australia to Vancouver . I couldn’t let the Mistress go I enjoy driving it too much. When I’m in the seat I tune out to everything around me and love listening to the sound she throws out.

No one's come right out and said it point blank, but what you are looking for is not a GT. It's a GTS. They were the only Darts that came with the 383.

Actually they are GT+S and all the badging on them still say GT on the trunk finish panel, grille, and door panels. The only difference is the GTS and 383 4-Barrel emblems on the front fenders. Many people get confused because of the GT emblems all over the car!

Actually they are GT+S and all the badging on them still say GT on the trunk finish panel, grille, and door panels. The only difference is the GTS and 383 4-Barrel emblems on the front fenders. Many people get confused because of the GT emblems all over the car!

Well, "whatever" you still could not get the 383 without the "S". lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back