@1967 GT+S in Whittier Ca

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
I lived in Whittier , Ca , from 1970 until Sept 2002 . I was blessed to have been raised in a city which was absolutely rich in car culture ; Whittier Boulevard was a stone's throw from my house .

I've seen some sweet rides over the years ; Street Freaks to stockers , VW's to Lowriders , and even combinations thereof (a Muscle Car with a Lowrider paint scheme was reasonably-common , believe it or not ) .

One car that made its appearance in circa 1985 that has been on my mind almost daily since : 1967 Dart GT+S convertible !
Its was "Bright Butter Nut Yellow Extract" (or whatever that colour was called) with a black top and interior ; an Inland shifter protruded through its console .
I knew back then that this had to be rare !
By 1986 or so , I started researching v.i.n.'s , where they were placed , and how to decode them .
When I finally got close enough to this GT+S to check its v.i.n. , I was disappointed to recognise that it wasn't on the dash !

A couple of years passed ...

... then the 1987 Whittier Earthquake hit !
I was genuinely worried about the well-being of this elusive car ( in addition to being stressed about the damage and losses from the quake , plus not being able to sleep for almost a year afterward ! ) as I hadn't seen it around .
Finally it was around again by Spring 1988 . I was relieved !

By 1994 , I finally saw it being driven around . I followed it for about 5 miles , until its owner-operator stopped at El Pollo Loco (ironically , a building that replaced the infamous Bob's Big Boy which was the hub of the cruising scene) .
I was finally able to check the car's v.i.n. and meet its owner ! :cheers:
I saw LP27H72*in its doorjamb and was excited !
Apparently he bought it from its original owner in 1985 for $4,000 ; a gang of money for any 'A' Body during that time (excepting a '68 Hemi Dart or Barracuda) !

Super long story short : I'm wondering if anyone of my fellow FABO members lives in-around Whittier , and if they've seen this elusive Dart around ?
Its owner is one of the Hendeges [sp?] Plumbing family .

* = The "LP" trim is *supposed to* be correct for 1967 Dart GT+S , as it was "just" a 383-powered GT model . I could be --and most-likely am-- wrong about this , however ... :D

That is cool to hear about another one, I know where there are 6 so far, two red, one turquoise, one green, one gold and one copper, the one you are talking about would be #7. I have had the pleasure of driving the turquoise car and brought it from Illinois to the Spring Fling in Van Nuys a few years back. Do you have any pictures of the car? There were only 457 67 GTS's built, 229 4-speed and 228 auto, no breakdown between convertible and hardtop though. You can go to the GTS Registry http://www.gtsregistry.com/ to see what is registered.

I grew up in Montebello and was a regular on Whittier Blvd and Bob's Big Boy on Friday and Saturday nights starting in the later '60s. After getting married, I lived on Beverly Blvd. (remember all the big pine trees) from 1970-72, then moved to Orange County where I still live.
There's still an active "cruise night" at the Ruby's restaurant at the old Whitwood mall on Whittier Blvd. on Friday nights.
Gotta say I haven't seen the Dart you describe at Ruby's any time I've been there but will keep my eyes open for it.

BTW, in case you didn't know, the timing tower (from the drag strip at the old Ontario Speedway) in your avatar pic is now a security tower for the parking lot just inside Gate 17 for the drag strip at the Fairplex in Pomona. Look for it if you ever get up to either the WinterNationals or Finals.

Thank you for your replies , RhinoDart and O.C.Dart.

O.C. Dart : I didn't realise that Ruby's even existed at Whittwood any-more ! I though that it was sacrificed during the tear-down-and-rebuild of the mall a few years ago .

RhinoDart: I have trolled the GTS Registry site , and have not seen the Dart I'm talking about . I've attempted to contact its owner , to no avail ; maybe FaceBook will be my next plan of attack ...
For years there were rumours that only 11 1967 GT+S Dart convertibles were built . Stands to reason that the count would be that low .

I don't have any pics of this "White Whale" , unfortunately . I can tell you , however , that it's originally "______________ Yellow" (similar to Y2 "'Bright' Yellow") , with black top and interior .

Thank you for your replies , RhinoDart and O.C.Dart.

O.C. Dart : I didn't realise that Ruby's even existed at Whittwood any-more ! I though that it was sacrificed during the tear-down-and-rebuild of the mall a few years ago .

RhinoDart: I have trolled the GTS Registry site , and have not seen the Dart I'm talking about . I've attempted to contact its owner , to no avail ; maybe FaceBook will be my next plan of attack ...
For years there were rumours that only 11 1967 GT+S Dart convertibles were built . Stands to reason that the count would be that low .

I don't have any pics of this "White Whale" , unfortunately . I can tell you , however , that it's originally "______________ Yellow" (similar to Y2 "'Bright' Yellow") , with black top and interior .

There was a Yellow 67 GTS bigblock at SpringFling several years ago. Had cali plates

There was a Yellow 67 GTS bigblock at SpringFling several years ago. Had cali plates
Hmm ... I wonder if the guy that I knew finally restored it , or if he sold it off .
Last time I saw the car , it had its original-issue black/gold Ca plates on it .

-
Back