1968 340S Coupe 4spd

-
I used to know some-one local whom had a 1968 Barracuda Formula-'S' hardtop with a 383 Commando . Its vin was BH23H8B , and was largely original ; only changes were by its original owner :

- Functional Doug's Side Pipes ( the illegal ones with the slides underneath which slid-rearward in order to create "open exhaust" )

- Indy aluminum wheels ( "kidney-cut" wheels ) in 14x5 front , 14x8 rear

- Manual Valve Body

- 2Bbl induction added during the second gas shortage (late 70's) ; original induction was included in the trunk

It's wearing its original Q5 Turquoise paint , original black bucket seat / console interior ; was never cut for fenderwell headers ; has factory-installed non-power disc brakes ; its original factory-installed AM/FM radio (a rare piece!) ; and , one of my faves , its original-issue black/yellow Ca plates and the original selling dealer's plate frames !

So , yes , a Formula-'S' Barracuda was possible . Yours is only the 2nd one I can recall seeing in all of my 41 years .

Been a long time and thats ok. I bought a second 340s 4-speed body and now Im going with that configuration- almost the same as the red car except for buckets and maroon color with white stripes. Awesome.

I could use some help from the group on how best to proceed on sheet metal. The trunk floor has some holes, the quarters around the trunk lid and tail lights are rusted through. The lower quarters and rear valence are cruddy. I think the piece between the trunk floor and the hump is the shock mount and that is bad, too. The front of the car is in great shape- drivers floor is bad and passengers has a few holes.

I have perfect doors, trunk lid, and hood. I have a set of 69 forest green 340s front fenders (complete with emblems), which Ill probably convert or trade for 68s.

The shop I have doing the work gave me the impression that replacing everything would be more effective than fabricating replacement sections. Cheaper and less bondo.

I see AMD has the lower pillars, rear shock mount, rear valence, rear deck filler panel, inner/outer rockers, and floors.

Im open to opinions- seems like the back half of a desert car would be best- patching the existing panels wouldn't last as long as clean OEM replacements.

Attachments

• IMG_9779 - Version 2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9806.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9800.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9791.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_9801.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9792.jpg