1968 340S Coupe 4spd

-
The upside is that any metal needed should be easily obtained, since practically any A-body can contribute. Also, the 68 only specific parts (expensive) appear to be there and usable. Also a 4spd 68 Formula S is in the top of the most desirable A-bodies. Red - even better.

Downside, of course, is the extensive metalwork required.

If you're comfortable and/or ambitious, you can end up with a beautiful car. If it was an e-body, hell, everyone would be all over it. As long as you dont expect to restore it and flip it for profit, I'd tackle it.

Many have done much more, and ended up with much less..

Grant

The upside is that any metal needed should be easily obtained, since practically any A-body can contribute. Also, the 68 only specific parts (expensive) appear to be there and usable. Also a 4spd 68 Formula S is in the top of the most desirable A-bodies. Red - even better.

Downside, of course, is the extensive metalwork required.

If you're comfortable and/or ambitious, you can end up with a beautiful car. If it was an e-body, hell, everyone would be all over it. As long as you dont expect to restore it and flip it for profit, I'd tackle it.

Many have done much more, and ended up with much less..

Grant

IMHO.... I would find a good body and move everything over. You will be replacing damn near the entire body anyway.

Yeah, I will have to wait and assess the body before I make any hard core decisions. I certainly want to bring it back- how many one owner 62Kmile cars are there anymore, let alone 340S 4speeds? If I can make it work, this is a total dream come true.

Looking at it yesterday the drivers side floor is shot, but the inside fender wells in the engine compartment were solid as were the strikers for the doors. The trunk was surprisingly decent.

right side trunk.JPG

left side trunk.JPG

Mine is a 62,000 mile 340, Formula S, 4 speed too.... Sure shows how sitting in a garage for 35 years vs outside can change things.

Mine is a 62,000 mile 340, Formula S, 4 speed too.... Sure shows how sitting in a garage for 35 years vs outside can change things.

thanks for rubbing it in :tongue5:

What is the "must have" resource for working on these? Most people use a shop manual or other book?

thanks for rubbing it in :tongue5:

What is the "must have" resource for working on these? Most people use a shop manual or other book?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com

That inland shifter matches your production date (early 68 ). Do the heads have an X by the plug holes?

At some point in 68 The X was added. For example my heads are the originals (correct casting numbers and date codes) but do nat have the X cast nest to the plug holes.

I think my build date is 13 days before yours.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com

That inland shifter matches your production date (early 68 ). Do the heads have an X by the plug holes?

At some point in 68 The X was added. For example my heads are the originals (correct casting numbers and date codes) but do nat have the X cast nest to the plug holes.

I think my build date is 13 days before yours.

Actually a list of all the casting numbers and locations is one of the things I am looking for. I know everyone says "use the search" but there is a lot of variation. Hopefully this weekend I can get it in the air and see what is up. No issues jacking on the K-member, right?

If I have x-heads then I really will be the man. Seriously, I dream about this stuff.

car came with two trannies (party!) and aat least two shifter assemblies. I found a hurst grip (the T-type) in a mouse's nest in the glovebox. Fun!

Your intake should be a 2531915 (this will be in the top behind the carb)

Your heads should be 2531894 (they may or may not have an x by the plug hole) If they do not have the X take off a valve cover and the casting # will be there.

It has the 340 exhaust manifolds.

The carb would be a Carter AVS with 4424s on the front lower left.

The block should be a 2780930 on the drivers side along with 340 cast into it.

My build date is 10-02-67 and my block is vin stamped on the top driver side bell housing flange. This will tell you if it is the original engine.

These are pics of casting numbers (some you can't read) and locations taken just now off my engine. Included is a clear pic of my early 68 "No X" x heads.

Sorry Im in the process of getting things test fit. Im pulling the engine for fresh bearings, paint and a smaller roller cam.

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

Very cool thanks for the pics. I thought the engine number was down low by the oil pan, but there are probably more than one. I did notice the manifolds are correct and the carb looks right but with some extra emissions stuff.

Very cool thanks for the pics. I thought the engine number was down low by the oil pan, but there are probably more than one. I did notice the manifolds are correct and the carb looks right but with some extra emissions stuff. Man, I wish I wasn't stuck at work.

It will be fun checking for #s. The block casting number is above the pan on the drivers side but the vin was stamped on the bell housing flange.

Great news! It is confirmed numbers matching on the engine! I was able to clean and read the last digits of the VIN so at least it is what I thought it was: a complete one owner Formula S 340 manual. I also like that it has the bench seat with manual brakes and steering- all go and no show!

The intake checked out as well. I have to do some work to ID the tranny, though.

vin upload.jpg

glad to hear man thats awesome, definitely cant wait to see some progress

I would love to hear updates on the progress as well!! Its so complete, I'd restore it regardless of the rust. Everything on these cars is replaceable if you have the time and ambition, the cars aren't replaceable.

Great news! It is confirmed numbers matching on the engine! I was able to clean and read the last digits of the VIN so at least it is what I thought it was: a complete one owner Formula S 340 manual. I also like that it has the bench seat with manual brakes and steering- all go and no show!

The intake checked out as well. I have to do some work to ID the tranny, though.

That's good news. So I hope its clear that this is more than a parts car. No doubt, It will be expensive and time consuming to repair, and maybe it wont be worth as much restored as you have into it but that's rarely the case unless its something extremely desirable like a factory Hemi or Six Pack. There are many members here who did far more extensive restorations on cars that were not rare at all just for the challenge and fun of it.

As far as rarity, this is an especially rare car. 351 340/4 speed coupes built in 1968, thats all... (see the link). That's more rare than Hemi Roadrunners of the same year. I wonder how many are still in existance? 100? Less? Even if its true that it won't have the value of a Hemi Roadrunner, its very interesting from a historical perspective.

http://www.plymouthbarracuda.net/information/1968-barracuda-production.shtml

By the way, the trans ID plate is easy to see. If I remember correctly, its on the front, bottom of the passenger side of the trans. Also, there might still be an ID tag on a center section bolt of the rear.

Keep us posted...

If I had it, there would be no way in hell I would use it as a parts car. It may not be worth it to some Joe to restore, but to me, whatever it took to restore, is what it would be worth to me. Besides the '71 Demon 340, a 67-69 Barracuda Formula S notch would be my dream A-Body. I didn't read the entire thread, but I hope this is a resto...

IMHO :D

j

I got a real up close and personal look at the devastation today. The good news is that I found the broadcast sheet. I was removing the front seat and noticed a little piece of paper with tell tale series of holes. It would have been easy to miss because the entire floor was covered with the notebook and fuzz pieces of a mouse nest. I went CSI on the thing and was able to put it together. I haven't spent a lot of time deciphering it, but it seems to reinforce everything on the fender tag.

pieces of me1.JPG

pieces of me2.JPG

I finally got this puppy home where I can steal time here and there and start moving forward. :-D I cleaned off the engine and I am very happy with how complete it is. I started on the interior and think the seats looks decent (don't smell so good though). Anyway here is a pic of my sitting-since-1978-survivor-engine. Haven't got serious about trying to turn it yet.

I will be looking for help on the frame repair- I need at least the right rear frame rail, right rocker, and torsion bar mount...and of course floors.

Totally pointless endeavor: I polished some of the original paint and it came back very nice. All of it is coming off eventually, but it helps in the "marketing" department.

survivor 340.JPG

survivorseats.JPG

survivor 340 2.JPG

I finally got this puppy home where I can steal time here and there and start moving forward. :-D I cleaned off the engine and I am very happy with how complete it is. I started on the interior and think the seats looks decent (don't smell so good though). Anyway here is a pic of my sitting-since-1978-survivor-engine. Haven't got serious about trying to turn it yet.

I will be looking for help on the frame repair- I need at least the right rear frame rail, right rocker, and torsion bar mount...and of course floors.

Totally pointless endeavor: I polished some of the original paint and it came back very nice. All of it is coming off eventually, but it helps in the "marketing" department.

Boy, don't I know about that!.......any little bit helps. I may have a rust-free notch parts car available in the near future that you may be interested in.......if you're willing to transport it to your location.

Small bit of progress but nice find:
Took the rear seat out last night and found the second broadcast sheet- much more complete than the first. I also found a vintage head gasket set. Unfortunately that is the last of the cool 1970s stuff I will find. Best thing so far was the 1977 Hustler under the front bench! that will have to be restored, too...

One of the pics is a page of a notebook from 1977 showing the mileage tracking. Probably the only way to confirm the 62K on the clock is real. Another shot shows some of the markings inside the rear seat fabric. I thought it was cool.

broadcast2.JPG

DSC04209.JPG

DSC04211.JPG

mileage.JPG

You found a broadcast sheet in the bottom springs of the front and the rear seat? I have a bench seat, and I don't recall ever hearing that they put them there. Usually just the rear and in a front bucket seat.
Have you checked behind the glovebox yet?

A good fabrication guy can put that thing on a rotisserie and go to town making that thing solid underneath with some extra reinforcements like some nice subframe connectors, torque boxes and panel replacement.

That's would I would do.

I would also mini tubb that thing if I was going to be in there, but that's just me.

You found a broadcast sheet in the bottom springs of the front and the rear seat? I have a bench seat, and I don't recall ever hearing that they put them there. Usually just the rear and in a front bucket seat.
Have you checked behind the glovebox yet?

So I was expecting one under the rear bench and one behind the glovebox. First, nothing behind the glovebox (besides the nest). Then nothing under the rear bench. As I was removing the front bench i found one sheet up there. Then the other day as I removed the rear bench back- I found this nice one pictured above.

As I mentioned, I expected what you heard, too, but this one is what it is.

-
Back