1968 Barracuda Notch - Plano, TX

-
No progress on the car in the past few months. A bunch of issues that have nothing to do with the car. Hopefully by the end of the year I can get back to working on the car.

I did get a new truck last month. Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 3.0L turbo diesel and 3.92 axle. Tow rating with this combo is 7,840 lbs and a 1,540 lb payload. Typical car trailer, like U-Haul, is about 2,200 lbs. If you assume the car and a few extras is less than 4,000 lbs then I should have no issue. It is a whole lot nicer taking a car to a track event on a trailer than relying on the car to carry tools, spares, and such and be able to make it home.

With the 3.0L "Eco-diesel" and HD 8 speed automatic I am getting right at 20mpg driving around town. Highway mileage is supposed to be 28. I have not taken it on any trips yet.

Attachments

• DSC07230.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 993
Nice....

Just upgraded my 2000 CTD 3500 5.9 /6 speed manual with a new 2015 6.7 CTD 3500. The wife loves this one cause it has an AISIN 6 speed auto. Gonna let her pull the Barracuda to the next show in the 24' trailer as it is to far to drive it!

Get back on the Barracuda soon! That truck should pull it fine!

Progress... they are working on the car again! Holidays and ice work at the shop are done.

Cowl is about done. Rotors came in yesterday.

Question. Your front rotors used with the Dr Diff kit. Are those Wilwoods? Would you mind sharing the part numbers with me?

Question. Your front rotors used with the Dr Diff kit. Are those Wilwoods? Would you mind sharing the part numbers with me?

They are Baer. I bought them from Cass (Dr Diff), I do not know the part number. He sold me matching rear rotors also, I think the rears are off the shelf Mustang Cobra application.

Send me those rear finish panels...they're just right for redo. I'll make 'em look KILLA!!!

Da BIG BLOCK gonna do ALL THE TALK.

Just put my 440 Dart into the 10s WITHOUT CALTRACS. Fun stuf.

KEEP BUILDING...
:twisted:

Send me those rear finish panels...they're just right for redo. I'll make 'em look KILLA!!!
The rear finish panels were redone many years back by All Trim. I bought them from him directly, they were his last few pieces in inventory after he stopped taking outside work. They have been stored until recently and any defects you see in the picture are either (1) illusions due to bad pictures, (2) garage dust, or (3) reflections. You need to see them in person, they are "3 footers", probably better condition than a week old car off the dealer lot. I still have to adjust the trunk closing and the tail lights... not easy to get to look perfect on these cars.

Da BIG BLOCK gonna do ALL THE TALK.

Just put my 440 Dart into the 10s WITHOUT CALTRACS. Fun stuf.

KEEP BUILDING...

I have not been able to work on the car for a while. Should be back at it soon, I can't wait to be driving it again. The previous revision of this engine was a 550hp 440 w/ mildly ported iron heads, a BG 840cfm carb, and an Eddy RPM intake. The new Aluminum heads raise the compression a full point and increase air flow potential by 20%. The "new" intake has huge ports, 1900cfm throttle body, and port EFI.

It should be a bit of fun, especially with the "new" manual transmission. The stick may hurt a little in the drag race department, but this is meant to be a street driven car, not a dedicated race machine and I have always liked my stick cars. This car was my first big block with an automatic. Time to go back to manual shifting for me. My first two big block cars were a 383 4 spd and a 440 4 spd. I miss the shifting gears part.

Attachments

• DSC06878.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 819
  • weiand angle shot1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 846
  • DSC06011.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 829
They are Baer. I bought them from Cass (Dr Diff), I do not know the part number. He sold me matching rear rotors also, I think the rears are off the shelf Mustang Cobra application.

Interesting. You must have gotten an older kit. I got redrilled Mercedes rotors and (God Forbid) Cass goes out of business, I'd rather not order a set of Mercedes rotors and send them to a machine shop to get them re-drilled. If you ever get the chance to find the part numbers on them from bear, can you pm them them to me please?

Besides that, your build is going awesomely!

Interesting. You must have gotten an older kit. I got redrilled Mercedes rotors and (God Forbid) Cass goes out of business, I'd rather not order a set of Mercedes rotors and send them to a machine shop to get them re-drilled. If you ever get the chance to find the part numbers on them from bear, can you pm them them to me please?

hey partsmonsta, tell us about your car, drivetrain and all .

Thanks Muu. My kit us likely the same as what you bought. I did not want the re-drilled Mercedes rotors and had Cass "upgraded" me to Baer rotors front and rear. The image below is a 11.65" x 0.705" Baer EradiSpeed + 94-04 "Mustang" rear rotor leaning against the custom 13" x 1.25" Baer EradiSpeed + front rotor.

Attachments

• DSC06495.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 783
Thanks Muu. My kit us likely the same as what you bought. I did not want the re-drilled Mercedes rotors and had Cass "upgraded" me to Baer rotors front and rear. The image below is a 11.65" x 0.705" Baer EradiSpeed + 94-04 "Mustang" rear rotor leaning against the custom 13" x 1.25" Baer EradiSpeed + front rotor.

Can you do me a favor and measure what the height and inside diameter of both of those hats? That explains why I couldn't find the rotors or hats on Baer's website.

Got any out in the sun pictures of that thing yet? Beautiful Car. Seems like we have similar tastes in the looks/direction to take our cars, and I'm getting a lot of ideas from yours. I'm just going with a little different motor setup.

Hmmm… I wonder if I can have it running by June 11th. Some folks are getting together June 11th to drive from Louisiana to Kansas. I have about 250 hours of vacation time saved up at work. About 120 hours off, a day at a time between now and then + about 2 weeks off starting about June 9th.

https://goo.gl/maps/a9ZZx29gJ7G2

Stranger things have happened.

OK… looking up E85 fuel stations. 201 miles is the longest stretch between fill ups and that is downhill. I have a 32 gallon tank, EFI, and a 6 speed with 2 overdrives. Driving from Round Rock to Plano I got 12 mpg with gas, carb, and an automatic. I think I’ll be good! I’m expecting to get better mileage. I plan to setup the EFI to be “flex fuel” so I could use Super Unleaded in a pinch.

Cool Thread, Love the Notch! So very sorry about your dog, we just lost our "lil' girl" it is definitely a hard thing to deal with...wishing you the best!

Alex

Spent an hour or so yesterday tweaking the passenger side windows. I was starting to feel a bit inept, each adjustment affecting position a bit in ways I did not expect. Took a while before I was happy with the outcome, still may tweak the up stops on the rear to let the window come up a hair more. Tested the fit with a dollar bill in several places along the top of both windows and the seal between, pretty tight.

Attachments

• DSC08096.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 535
Took a dremel to open the hole a bit, then a flat file to make the hole almost a square. Start button fits snugly. Pictures are without dash pad. Still need to sand down and paint the dash frame. With the lower dash pad in place the button will be a subtle change. I have a few more modifications to the dash to do... parts are a little dusty stored in the garage, definitely some clean up to do when it comes to final install.

Attachments

• DSC08086.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC08091.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 519
Love the start button. Plan to do one on mine too. So far, I bought an OEM one that's the same as my Scat Pack. Will know later if I can make it work. Which one did you go with? Looks like maybe Viper or Viper truck?

Keep picking away at it as you have the time, money and desire. These can be long term projects and there can often be dry periods on progress. I haven't worked on mine in TWO YEARS, because of a big move I made. Paint will go on this spring or summer! Getting to that part will be a major hurdle and assembly will be a piece of cake compared to all the fabrication, body work, etc. etc. to this point.

Love the start button. Plan to do one on mine too. So far, I bought an OEM one that's the same as my Scat Pack. Will know later if I can make it work. Which one did you go with? Looks like maybe Viper or Viper truck?

I measured all I could find, the best fit was from a Honda S2000. Most of them are larger. The button was an option on the keyless entry / ignition system I purchased.

Test fit with a spare dash pad just to see how it fits. My dash pad is black and attached to the other dash frame at the moment. Kind of tucked away under there, it should not stand out too much.

Attachments

• DSC08114.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 517
-
Back