1968 Barracuda Notchback 340 car

-

WillK

Reaction score
I purchased a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda notchback several years ago. When I purchased the car the paperwork said it was a formula s340 car and the seller also confirmed it was a formula s340 car. Unfortunately the vehicle was half apart and missing build sheets and had no front end so no fender tags. When I searched and decoded the vin it confirmed it was a 340 car. Unfortunately I never transferred or did anything with the paperwork I received when I bought it that said it was a formula s340 because the car didn't drive and was in pieces I was putting the vehicle back together and it wasn't drivable. We recently moved and the paperwork has been misplaced in the move and I haven't been able to locate it. The state I moved to is issuing me a title but how do I prove it is a formula s340 car?? I remember reading somewhere on this forum that in 1968 a 340 Barracuda could only be a formula s 340 car because in 1968 the only way to get a 340 was with the formula S340 package is that correct?? Because the car was apart and in pieces when I got it the only thing I have to go on is the vin number which confirmed it was a original 340 car. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and very helpful. Also would I need to have the formula s340 on the title because I believe they are issuing the title as a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda 2dr v8 car only.

It is true that all 340 cars were a Formula S car. That should be all you need to go on. As far as I know there is no distinction on the title for a Formula S either. It's too bad that the fender tag is missing. Not that the fender tag would have mentioned Formula S specifically but it would have listed the options that were unique to the S. Anyone can look at the car and see that the options for an S are there and if they can't identify them they can go look at the Fords and Chevys.

Remove the trunk weatherstrip.The VIN should be stamped on the lip that the weatherstrip is glued to.If I recall it will be on the driver side.

Why does it matter? Restore, register and enjoy it. Have a replacement fender tag made. Without any documentation, its a mute point, but only if you trying to sell it an make a premium on the price. If its a nicely redone car, it will fetch plenty anyway.

Remove the trunk weatherstrip.The VIN should be stamped on the lip that the weatherstrip is glued to.If I recall it will be on the driver side.

On a 1968 or earlier car that number is the Sequence Order (S.O. #) number. Not the VIN.

The SO # is on the Fender Tag and Buildsheet. The Build Sheet is the only thing that has the VIN and SO # on it.

It is true that all 340 cars were a Formula S car. That should be all you need to go on. As far as I know there is no distinction on the title for a Formula S either. It's too bad that the fender tag is missing. Not that the fender tag would have mentioned Formula S specifically but it would have listed the options that were unique to the S. Anyone can look at the car and see that the options for an S are there and if they can't identify them they can go look at the Fords and Chevys.

All 340 1968 Barracudas are Formula S.

In 1969, you could get a 340 in a regular Barracuda.

Isn't there a VIN on the dashboard??? It should have the proper digit for the 340 engine...

Great thanks for the help. I am considering selling it and I was in a debate about it with a guy I know that owns mopars And said the formula s340 would bring more money and even confirmed that the car was a 340 car by the vin however he said that didn't prove it was a formula S car just that it was a 340 Barracuda and the price for the car was lowered by that fact. Plus if I do sell it I don't want to mislead or misinform anyone looking to buy it.

Isn't there a VIN on the dashboard??? It should have the proper digit for the 340 engine...
Yes the vin on the dash confirmed that it was a 1968 original 340 engine car. A friend of mine who owns and works on lots of mopars said that just because it was a 340 engine vin didn't mean it was the formula S it just proves that it's a 1968 Barracuda with a 340 engine. I believe in 1969 that would be possibly true but in the 1968 Barracuda it could only be a formula S with that engine

The vin tag on the dash would prove it's a '68 340 car. DO NOT let them title it some half-assed way, big mistake.
Yes the vin on the dash confirmed that it's a 340 engine car. Hopefully it's titled correct when I get the new title. The vin definitely confirmed and proved it's a 340 engine code.

On a 1968 or earlier car that number is the Sequence Order (S.O. #) number. Not the VIN.

The SO # is on the Fender Tag and Buildsheet. The Build Sheet is the only thing that has the VIN and SO # on it.
I have the correct vin number that's definitely not the issue and no doubt there just don't have fender tags or build sheets to confirm it's the formula S car.

I have the correct vin number that's definitely not the issue and no doubt there just don't have fender tags or build sheets to confirm it's the formula S car.

340's only came in Formula S. So if it has a VIN for a 340, then it's a Formula S...

I've never seen a title to an old car say formula s, GTS, R/T etc.

The fender tag nor the build sheet are legal items used for any registration purposes

I've never seen a title to an old car say formula s, GTS, R/T etc.

The fender tag nor the build sheet are legal items used for any registration purposes
Okay perfect thanks for that information the guy had me concerned and worried that I messed up the title or registration and that I couldn't prove or confirm that it was a formula S 340 car. Thanks for helping me out.

340's only came in Formula S. So if it has a VIN for a 340, then it's a Formula S...
Okay perfect thanks for the information and helping me out. The guy had me thinking I was crazy or messed something up with the paperwork.

-
Back