1968 Plymouth Barracuda

-

Cliffjumper

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen, boy's and girl's. I have been a member of FABO for a little over a year now and have decided start my own Member Restoration Thread. There are a lot of Awesome Mopar's on this website, a lot of good ideas, helpful tricks and cool people. Looking over the Restoration page and reading how you guys are restoring, making power, modifying your Mopars has convinced me that its time for me to start a BIG project.
I have been learey about any kind of BIG projects with my Barracuda. Let it be room for it in my Garage or in my wallet. I have been there before with my past Classic; a 1969 Chevelle Malibu. I was 15 and it was my first car. It needed a new radiator support and a new 307/PG. It was a great car untill I tore it all down.. Balancing school, girlfriend, work and a social life took a tole on the Malibu. Quickly that radiator support and engine swap turned into a HUGE project that I (being 16 now) could'nt afford.. So some lucky fella from the next town over bought the Malibu with a new radiator support, 307 and Powerglide and the rest of the car being a "basket case" for a 1/4 of what it was worth. Sad story, but if that is what it takes to show me how to be responcable and learn how not to let my car projects get too far over my head...a lesson learned.
School is over, girlfriend went to College and work was picking up with all the OT I could get (while it lasted). Being a muscle car guy I always had a thing for Mopars and was on the internet 5 times a week watching everything sell. Good deals slipped by, but I was patient and was in the "saving money" boat. Researched muscle cars/imports/homes/property for about 2-3 years picking up info about everything trying to make a desicion on what to invest my "savings" in. Came to the conclusion I was going to invest in an A-Body Mopar. Gathering all the info I learned into what I was looking for I made a list. (1) 67-71 A-Body Mopar. (2) Big Block 383,440 (3) Full interior (or mostly. with a few things missing OK) (4) Good or OK body without any trim or glass missing. (5) Running with a transmission (Doesn't matter to me).
After spending alot of time on the internet searching through classifieds I found 3 within 200 miles of me. The first one was a 70' Duster (big Duster fan) with a hot 360 auto. That was a really nice car but the interior was cut up, had too much stereo and I wanted a B/RB. The second was a 1969 Dart. Everything I wanted but the price was steep. The third was a 1968 Barracuda Fastback. This car had everything I wanted running with a nego. price. This car was the furthest away but was definatly worth the trip.
IMG00071.jpg

PictureorVideo240.jpg

Purchased the Barracuda in early April of 2008 and took delivery later that month. With a new, larger garage I had a shop to be proud of again. The Cuda had been modified and restored about 15 years ago so I started with a few small projects not going crazy.
PictureorVideo003.jpg

The ignition was worn out and old so I spent some time upgrading it. MP mag pickup distributor, MSD Mopar Capactive Discharge Ign. mod, MSD Blaster, Helicore wires, Pro boot gaurds, Accel shorty plugs, and a Foward Light/Engine Harness from YearOne (pricey) plus a few odds and ends. Just by doing this upgrade it really brought the 440 to life.
I spent the rest of the summer cruising around tuning the carb, changing oil and burning rubber. Took the trip out to the All-Chrysler Party and Car Show in Carlisle, Pa. for the Cuda's 40th Birthyear (Had a blast). By the time Winter rolled around I wanted something to keep me busy during the storage months. Threw a 440 scooped hood on and restored the entire grill. Did an entire restoration of the rear end.. as in the 8 3/4. Upgraded from a highway 3.23 to something with more snot.. a 3.91 suregrip (cone style SG 489 case). Threw some MP axle bearings on the SBP axles and got her back on her feet. I like the back roads much more than the highway, reason being I live in New Jersey (answers that).
PictureorVideo246.jpg

So this is where I stand today as modifications go (realizing how much I have to say here). Did some cruising this year but, I'm starting to hear some noises out back when I gouge in it. It's time for a serious project.
IMG00101.jpg

The noise out back is from original springs, shackles and bushings making it bounce around and slap the exhaust pipes here and there. So refering to what I have mentioned above, its time to start an new project with good planning and not going out of control.
This is my plan to have done by the Spring of 2010. Lets start with the engine. Its a 68 dated 440 block that has a good 6K miles on it after its rebuild. 906 heads have had some work done but the valve cover bolt holes have some stripage. The heads also have exhaust studs I want to replace with header bolts. There are Schumaker shorty headers bolted on without chrome or ceramic coating which I want to get done. The engine needs a good cleaning, tear-down with all new gaskets and a new oil pan for which is dented up but good. Want to 007 up the engine and make it look stock, out of factory. Going with a new carb set up to compensate for the hot spark so I've decided on a Holley Street HP 750 carb and a K&N 360 air cleaner (cool man cool) tho I havent made my mind up if I want vac. secondaries or mech. This will sit on top a painted MP intake manifold I plan to have port matched to the heads or new cast heads. Hopping it up from a stock fuel pump to a mechanical Holley. Ditching the flex fan and I'm going with an electic fan that doesnt draw too many amps mounted to a new Mancini radiator (OEM style Aluminum). Nice, I really needed to write all of this down so I can reference as well as entertainment.
Going to update the front suspension a little with a tubular K-Frame from CAP Automotive, while using a stock quick ratio steering box, upper and lower tubular control arms, stock 9" drum spindles and a SSBC Non-Power Disc Brake Conversion to 4.5" bolt pattern. Shocks and springs will most likely be reused (I hope). New torsion bar set from MP with all the hardware replaced. Out back I plan on using Espo HD 6 leaf springs and stock shackles. Thanks to GTXperience I have some LBP axles I can swap out. Thanks again Ben! For wheels I have desided on Cragar's Keystone Klassics 15X6 up front and 15X7 out back with BFG or MT tires.
The transmission has been leaky and not shifting properly... so depending on my mood I might replace or rebuild it.. new non-leaky lines and a trans-cooler. I have been using the stock shifter so far but, plan on upgrading to a Hurst Quarter Stick with a line lock.
I spent some on tools from Dutch Brothers including the Herculies stand and Crazy Eight Lift to assist with all of this. The body and interior is to be done later in its life. I want to get everything on the car and have it operational before I tear it down for a more thorough restoration.
I started this thread so I can share with ya how much fun this is going to be with pictures and words that may interest you. I also wanted to keep tabs on what I have done to my Barracuda since I had it. Your complimets, comentary and sarcasm is most weclome on this thread! That was a good chunck of the story of my life up there LOL. Have fun, keep it safe and Enjoy!

By the way would anyone be interested in that pistol grip auto shift handle? LOL I replaced that first thing!

Good choice on getting rid of that pistol grip shifter, looks out of place. Love the idea of making the engine look like a stock one that has been there since day 1. Car looks sharp now, I'd stick with the cragar ss wheels over the keystone's but that's just my .02 Nice car!

Looks like a good start to the project. What do you want for the shifter ?

I am glad the LBP axles are going to help you out. I was going to check to see if you received them but now I know. Good luck with the entire project.

Thanks fellas. Made the list today on paper and the price total for everything threw me from my seat. It was to be expected. Nobody said this was an "easy on your wallet" hobby, but I'm dedicated.
Did some creeping today under the Barracuda snooping around looking for anything that might be detrimental to this build. Peeked around the subframe connecters. One thing that caught my eye shortly after its delivery is the frame on the unibody. It was carried on an open rack hauler secured with chains. Just behind the front wheels and just infront of the rears there are some factory holes about 3/4 to 1" in diameter. They seem to have been stretched and one or two is torn, ripped open like a can. Not sure if this was done when the subframe connecters were installed or when (lets call him Harry) secured the car down on the open rack. I can post a few picks if you guys have no idea what I'm talking about. Can that be welded or should I get the repair kit from SAFE T CAP? I really dont want to it to fold or buckle.

Here's a photo under the Barracuda. This was taken on the drivers side infront of the rear tire. Up top is the sub-frame connecter bracket and to the right is where the leaf spring mount is mounted. I left this alone until I can get the car up in the air to repair it. Just want to get a little advice from you A Body racers. Should I bend that back down flush and box it in or cover it with a SAFE T CAP?
Going to start on the rear brakes, suspension, wheels and tires in the rear the next few weeks. I plan on keeping a drum brake rear which should be just fine when I have the brakes proportioned. Read in another Thread here on FABO about moving the rear spring mount to the rear about 1" that I can fit a 27"-28" tire back there all centered. Debating on what to get since I want a stagered look and this is going to be a street/strip car. With the new springs and big *** tires its gunna sit a little high back there and the exhaust that was installed years ago is gunna rub on the drive shaft. Without breaking the bank I have access to welding eqipment and I am gunna cut and run 2 straight pipes parrallel to the driveshaft. Sounds easy.
Under the white to the left on the photo is the original undercoat that was installed at the factory. That just might have saved this cars life from floor rot. I'm sure when I go get this area blasted its gunna look like swiss cheese.
IMG00143.jpg

That may have been torn on a frame machne.

Thanks for the advice about the wheels. With hours of thought and web surfing I've decided to stick with the Cragar S/S wheels. Reason being that I can obtain 15X6 and 15X7's from Newstalgia in small bolt pattern. Keeping the drum brakes all around is something that I can live with... the car stops and I wont be hauling quick et's anytime soon. Tho I remember there being a company that makes a front drum to disc conversion in 4" bolt pattern. I can bolt that on later down the road.
The day I get these wheels and tires I'll post picks of before and after. While the rear of the Barracuda is up I'll be rebuilding the drum brakes and welding up the torn holes in the unibody.
As for the LBP axles, I can still use them because they were originaly SBP.
Dont want to hock anything on this thread but it seems I already have.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=58522

Woke up this morning to a UPS truck try to make it down my slope of a driveway. "Got some new tires for ya" WOW I ordered these on Monday with standard shipping. (2) 15"X6" Cragar S/S fitted with 215/60/15 and (2) 15"X7" Cragar S/S standard offset with 255/60/15. Looking at the tire size in the rear I was a little sceptical if these will fit withoout and travel problems. They bolted right up with about a 1/4 gap between the inner tire edge and leaf spring (stock location). I plan on doing an adjustment to the torsion bars later this week or weekend. Any ideas?
IMG00145.jpg

You really have to see this in person to get the effect but I'm not going to complain the car pictures well. LOL look at those flat *** leaf springs!

Happy Fathers Day All! Posting today because yeaterday I had a problem with my alternator. After about 5 minutes of warm up the brushes on the back of the alternator would make such a high pitch whisle. Now mind you this is a referbished alternator from Napa, an identical match to the one I took off in January. Lost the recipt and took it to Napa anyways. They rang it up on the computer and decided to trade me for a new one calling it a defective order. I hope there are some of you that read my thread updates here... Will this happen again? What kind of alternator (output) are you running on your Mopar? I am using stock wiring harness with an MSD 6 ignition. Thanks for any advice!

Reinstalled the new alternator Monday and that solved nothing. This might be a good tip for you (common sence really). While running the engine that high pitch noise wasnt coming from the alternator yet below it. I use a 3 ft. cut of old AC hose, put one end to my ear and poked around the engine (running) to identify where that noise was coming from. It was coming from around the fuel pump and crank pulley, so I quickly shut it off because that could be the pump or a seal/bearing in the engine.
Took off the alt. and fuel pump and cleaned them up. The fuel pump was dry as a fart so I turned to the oil. I had put some heavy weight oil in there because I had got'n a good deal on gallons of it. Changed the oil to 5W-30 conventional, squirted the pump down and installed it. I put a pint too much in so it could work its way around the engine and let it run for about 2 minutes, drained the extra and brought it up to temp. Went over everything no leaks, no noise, nice.
Found some what of a collectors item a few weeks ago I plan on installing when I peel the dash apart. I'm going to run a manual valve body in my 727 so I'm gunna need a tach. I'm using Stewart Warner gauges, oil press./water temp./vac. and didnt want to veer too far away from that "old school" yet "modern" look. Found a Stewart Warner TrackForce 5" elec. tachometer. I'll be using an MSD Tach Adapter to rout it to the ignition box and mount it on the dash in plain view. Heres a pic.
IMG00155.jpg

cooll car. where in nj are you? oh yeah id stay away from cap products. just do some research. what kind of shackles you running now? they look like those awful universal jobs with a million holes in them?

cooll car. where in nj are you? oh yeah id stay away from cap products. just do some research. what kind of shackles you running now? they look like those awful universal jobs with a million holes in them?

Thank you. Im in Stewartsville. Yeah those shackles came on the car when I bought her, they are those goofy shackles with a million holes in em... they would have been replaced a while ago but it'll sag way too much. I'm waiting to swap them when I swap for MP or ESPO springs. I obtained a pair of stock shackles from here, did some trading. Getting to the K-frame.. I might end up spilling for one from Mancini Racing. Whats wrong with CAP? I know MagForce and RMS make one hell of a kit.

you should try the stock shackles, those long ones let the springs flatten out and lose the arc. id run air shocks before those things. just post up looking for feedback on cap , or do a search on fabo for cap products. there are plenty of posts to steer you clear. i have the espo springs in both of my cars, and i put them in 2 other cars for people, im a fan of them.

Whats up FABO? The Barracuda has been in my garage at my parents for some time now. I moved out to Woodbridge, NJ and I am in the process of obtaining another garage. Should have the car in its new home in a few weeks. I have not been on this site in a while now. I miss this site. I will be back soon! Anyone in Woodbridge Edison on here? I'll see ya around. By the way a note to you A-body Mopar fans that live in that area check out Rug's and Riffy's its a bar close to me on Rahway ave (514) down town Woodbridge that has a car show every sat. night in the parking lot behind Quick Check. 20% off meal when you participate!! I'm going to try and get the Cuda there next weekend! It would be great to meet you FABO members there!

mopar-rips.jpg

Haven't been on this site in quite a while. My restoration plans and the Barracuda are parked for the remainder of the year. The timing chain needs replacing and the condition of it is getting worse since I have been driving it around town as my daily driver. Had a few close calls already wheeling this bad boy around in traffic. For now gathering parts and saving money for a complete restoration and mods. Hope to be on soon with lots of pics.

Glad to see you pop back in. Hope the resto keeps comming along. Thanks for the shifter, it is in the Sebring and looks pretty good once I cut down the stalk.

newshifter.jpg

Glad to see you pop back in. Hope the resto keeps comming along. Thanks for the shifter, it is in the Sebring and looks pretty good once I cut down the stalk.

newshifter.jpg

Wow that looks really good! Nice MOD and Good Luck with it.

If you are considering air shocks for more rear end height, consider instead having your existing springs re-arched or add an extra leaf. If that seems like too much work, consider instead a set of load leveler shocks with the coil spring around them, they cost about the same as air shocks, but you don't have to worry about the lines or air bladders leaking down and slicing your rear tires to ribbons.
Worth about an inch or two in height. I had both on my Dusters in years past
and got tired of the air shocks leaking down. Ride quality with the air shocks wasn't that great either, the coil-over shocks rode much nicer. The best way to raise it, if you absolutely have to, is the springs, but that depends on whether you have a good spring shop nearby.
Looks like a great car, I hope I can find one that nice someday.
Alan627b

Hey thanks for the tip Alan. I have considered all options for the rear end suspension. The springs that are on there now are really weak. There is a guy in Perth Amboy, NJ (real close) that adds a leaf and re arcs leafs. I have to consider the vehicles weight when selecting a spring weight. I had air lift shocks on my Chevelle and didnt like them. Currently the cars hanging out in a dry garage (my last garage flooded two weeks after i took the car out) and waiting on a timing chain. Havent had the time to work on it since I dont have lights or electric in this garage yet. :bootysha:
The plan is to get the car up. K-Frame, 440 and trans are coming out for new gasket sets. The K-Frame i am going to go over and reweld if needed. As soon as I get my *** in gear I'll have some more for you guys to read and look at. Everything that I mentioned prior to this (the list) will most likely go on the car. Trying to keep to the original plan.
Thanks your awesome.

-
Back