1968 SS Dart in progress

-
How did you attach the rear spring shackles to the car? It looks like they are welded to the bottom of the frame rail.

How did you attach the rear spring shackles to the car? It looks like they are welded to the bottom of the frame rail.

with the correct diameter tubing for the bushing (dont remember right now) we weld two pieces of angle iron to either side for re reinforcement...

Attachments

• 101_4072.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 101_4073.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,178
This is the way Hurst built the factory cars back in the day and I am attempting to keep it as true to the original build quality as possible. :).

Thanks Muskoka Dart and everyone for the comments. I am anxious to continue the build after taking time away for the holidays. More pictures to come and thanks to 805moparkid for the assist :cheers:

This is the way Hurst built the factory cars back in the day and I am attempting to keep it as true to the original build quality as possible. :).

exactly!

Thanks Muskoka Dart and everyone for the comments. I am anxious to continue the build after taking time away for the holidays. More pictures to come and thanks to 805moparkid for the assist :cheers:

haha swish!

Wow ! This is a great thread. I am currently in process of doing one of these SS clones. Lotsa a great info here. Thanks for all the pictures and advice. Keep em coming. Fair warning I will be bombarding you guys with a lot of questions.

Cool, glad to help if able and I look forward to seeing some pics of your project as well.

Finally, progress on the dart! I've been fighting off illnesses including bronchitis the past three weeks. That's what I get for working in the health care industry.
Such wonderful weather we've been experiencing too! Makes one get cabin fever real quick. Anyway, I have installed the fuel tank, body plugs, various gaskets, etc. Waiting to go in are a complete set of new door and trunk locks. All I need are new door handles and gaskets and door rod clips! Attached are some pictures of the brake cables, fuel components, and installed product.
Pay no attention to the rear roll cage down bar. I will be removing those and replacing with correct straight length (no bend). I don't know what I was thinking but they will not pass tech with that nasty bend at the rear. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Attachments

• gas tank install 007.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 948
  • gas tank install 006.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 938
  • gas tank install 005.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 922
  • gas tank install 004.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 930
  • gas tank install 002.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 940
  • 1242012 fuel pictures and genie intellicode 006.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 958
  • 1242012 fuel pictures and genie intellicode 007.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 952
  • 1242012 fuel pictures and genie intellicode 003.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 947
  • 1242012 fuel pictures and genie intellicode 004.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 963
  • 1242012 fuel pictures and genie intellicode 005.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 943
Thanks eccentric. PM sent by the way. Made some progress this weekend and pictures will be soon to follow. Sand blasted all dash components and painted with correct PPG laquer texture paint, modifed original manual column shift, etc.. Soon to purchase headliner components from legendary auto interiors, front windshield, and front and rear gaskets. Pictures coming as soon as I go get the parts after done drying this week from Dad's spray booth at SS&AFX.

Well, I have the parts back from my Dad's shop and they look great! Attached are some pictures of blasted and modified parts and finished product. The last picture is just for effect :burnout:. My dash will sport the factory correct radio, a/c, and heater delete options and a host of new bezels and plastics. Damned stuff is expensive too ](*,)

Attachments

• dash and brake lines 028.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 835
  • dash and brake lines 027.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 854
  • dash and brake lines 026.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 819
  • dash and brake lines 025.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 851
  • dash and brake lines 024.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 845
  • dash and brake lines 023.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 840
  • dash and brake lines 022.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 842
  • dash and brake lines 021.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 822
  • Correct interior.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 830
i made that cool gate decor in the background!!! lol

looks like it all came out great Chris!

Thanks Ed, I am glad to be making more progress on the car. The gate looks very Agaveish :)

Thanks Muskoka dart. I am now working on sorting out installation of door locks, trunk lock, latches, rods, clips, yadayadayada :). I'll post pics with more progress soon. Glad you're enjoying it.

Gonna be needing SS seat brackets for these cars guys? I thought they would be a good product, but have had very little interest so far. Cheaper than anyone else I have heard of, and exactly the same as the originals. Let me know if youre interested. Oh, and keep the pics coming...excellent build! :)

Gonna be needing SS seat brackets for these cars guys? I thought they would be a good product, but have had very little interest so far. Cheaper than anyone else I have heard of, and exactly the same as the originals. Let me know if youre interested. Oh, and keep the pics coming...excellent build! :)

How much for a set?

being Chris's Dad, Greg Fernald (Owner of SS and AFX) he gets a discount on the brackets... same here...

-
Back