ww2

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
edit.gif
Edit

Quick Reply

What we have here is a 1968 Dart that has been restored to a Hurst Super Stock Hemi Dart Drag car in the “as delivered look” that came straight from Hurst Industries in April 1968. I started with a rust free, straight Calif. body and stripped it down to the bare unibody. The car was media blasted and then modified to match an original Hemi Dart.
The original quarter panel wheel well openings and outer wheel houses were cut and reworked using a template I made off an original Hemi Dart. The right inner fender has also been modified just like Hurst, first by cutting the inner fender, then heating and pounding in the inner fender and shock tower inward for the needed valve cover clearance. The seam was then brazed shut. I installed a correct Hemi A-Body K-frame with a set of steel motor mounts and poly lock insulators. I went the extra mile and removed all the factory seam sealer, sound deadening and undercoating to give it the body in white look. The car has all the correct delete plates that were copied from an original Hemi Dart. The door glass has the correct seat belt straps for raising and lowering the windows. The rear windows are fixed in the up position. There is also a very nice mirror delete plate along with a blower motor delete plate. The interior has new Legendary door panels with the correct 270 emblems, and rear panels with no window crank holes. New carpet, headliner and package shelf without speaker holes. A nice set of A 100 seats mounted to a pair Kramers reproduction seat brackets. The master cylinder has been moved over with the correct offset plate and has the correct flexable brake lines so the master can be removed quickly for making valve adjustments. The brake rod was lengthened and milled for the proper brake pedal height. The car has been set up like the original 4 speed cars with a Hurst shifter and the correct reverse lock out. A date code 1968 B-Body 9 ¾” Dana 60 rear end with the correct 4.88 gears. The fiberglass hood and fenders are from Glasstek Racing. I added the jail bars to the scoop. The hood and fenders were then painted with PPG black base coat and cleared with a flex and flat clear coat to give them a flat finished gel coat look. The body has been painted inside and out with a water proof PPG sealer. The engine compartment, door jams and trunk have been painted with the correct PPG gloss black. The car is like new from front to back and runs and drives perfect. The engine is a date code (10/66) correct original 426 Hemi with a real Magnesium intake. The block has never been blown up or sleeved. Its bored .30 over and has new 10.5 compression pistons so it will run good on pump gas. The cam is a standard reproduction 1968 solid lifter stick shift cam. The heads are nice unported originals with all new valves, springs and retainers. The headers are from Headman and are 2 1/8 pipes into a 4" collecter. The exhaust is like the original cars which had straight pipes going into a set of glass pack style mufflers and a set of turn downs just before the rear axle. The engine is built like it was from Hurst aporximately 525 HP. The tires are new period correct Hurst reproduction super cushions on the front and a set of Mickey Thompson pie crust cheater slicks on the rear. The electrical components are all new and in working order. The radiator is a correct looking fresh triple core and the car runs at 180 degrees. All the lights, turn signals and the horn work. I even went through the trouble of reproducing the windshield "HOT" sheet, shipping warning label and sales bank tags. I have owned many real Super Stock Darts and Cudas and a couple real A990 cars. I build these cars and offer them in many stages from rollers or turn key stockers like this one, or full blow Drag cars. $85,000.00 Contact Dan States. I will be happy to tell you what you want to know. For more information on these cars you can just google Hemi Dart or go to www.ssandafx.com website. He is a competitor of mine and also does a very nice job.

dans dart1.jpg

dans dart2.jpg

dans dart3.jpg

dans dart4.jpg

Wow I remember 10 years ago REAL ones selling for 80-100k.Now they are 250-300k.Nice car you have there.
Jim

Very nicely done. Add a paint job and someone will have a sweet ride that will draw a crowd at any meet. (Even without the paint).

That is one hell of a car! I am building 68 Dart as well.Where is best supplier for hoods/fenders? Do you know correct way to alter rear wheel openings and how is outer quarter panel attatched to inner wheel house? thanks

That is one hell of a car! I am building 68 Dart as well.Where is best supplier for hoods/fenders? Do you know correct way to alter rear wheel openings and how is outer quarter panel attatched to inner wheel house? thanks

GlassTek makes the best peices, fenders, hood w/ or w/o scoop molded on. We sell the template for the rear wheel arches and you have to form the original wheel well and make a 90* peice to make the new lip.

As far as the OP i had never heard of anyone else building these other than Greg and I.

Attachments

• DSCN1371.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3,583
Well it must be winter because the old threads are popping up. This one is over five years old!

As far as the OP i had never heard of anyone else building these other than Greg and I.

Am I understanding this right? You and one other guy are the only people who have ever built 68 Hemi Dart clones?!?

Well it must be winter because the old threads are popping up. This one is over five years old!

Am I understanding this right? You and one other guy are the only people who have ever built 68 Hemi Dart clones?!?

As a business yes, SS And AFX (where i work) and apparently the OP, Mosher started dabbling in them in the last year or so.

i know of at least 5 cars personally one offed by people, a couple on this forum.

Not as a buisness but theres been people cloning these since the day after the first ones were built.

What a cool company to work for.

i'll tell you something it really is. Knowing the history of how they came to be and how they got there, all the while your doing it with YOUR hands is just cool.

Not as a buisness but theres been people cloning these since the day after the first ones were built.

Exactly. Just like the 2% and AFX cars, alot were converter as not many factory cars were built

Awesome car. What is the little shifter with the red knob? I always wondered.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back