1969 Daily Driver

-
I also took apart the donor cars front brakes getting ready to put on my car.

dart19.jpg

I see that the pic of the parts for the HEI conversion was not posted so here it is again. this is the cap, rotor, coil, module, and the coil wire that works.

parts..jpg

So the dart is ready for this trip. We are going to drive from El Cajon to Irwindale to Tucson in one day. Then be there all day Saturday at the drag strip then drive home Sunday. My 8 year daughter is going with me. This is going to hard core driving and everything else. We will see how she stands up to it.

Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags Tucson Dragway

I like your e-fan retrofit. Can you tell us what fan you used? Also, how well does the stock alternator handle the extra load? But if you already upgraded that, I missed it.

Good luck on the road trip!

I like your e-fan retrofit. Can you tell us what fan you used? Also, how well does the stock alternator handle the extra load? But if you already upgraded that, I missed it.

Good luck on the road trip!

Thank you, Yes I upgraded the Alternator to a newer style 2 field but is still a 60amp. Here is a pic of the set up. Now on to the loading part. The first thing I did was get rid on the Amp meter in dash or bypassed it. After I did that is when I did the Alternator upgrade to the two field. When the fan comes on it will be noticed in the idle but not by much, less than 15rpm. The Radiator part number is 433497 and the fan is just a 16" Hayden fan that I had laying around. I had to make it a pusher because it was to thick the other way and hit the water pump. The switch is a summit #890115 cheapey. Hey it works well.

Summit Racing® Electric Fan Thermostat Kits SUM-890115

dart3 (1).jpg

Tomorrow is the day. We are leaving El Cajon at 3am and meeting the whole crew at Irwindale in LA. We leave there to drive to Tuscon at 8am. I will post along the way with what is going on.

Best of luck,I'm sure you won't have any problems.
By the way, when the fan comes on in our PT Crusier the engine almost stalls at idle.It never does quit but it is noticeable.
We drove our stock Slant 67 Dart (not rebuilt just tuned up)on 3 Power Tours cross country for a total of 15,000 miles full of smiles !!!

IMG_0181.jpg

Yeah I just wish I had a little more time with this car just to know it more but, it is what it is. Trial by fire I always say.

So the drive to Tucson was uneventful. So much so that I have really not much to say about it other than I wish I could go faster than 65mph for 6 hours. Other than that I got 22MPH and nothing went wrong. I had to adjust the valves when I got to Tucson and adjust them when I got back. It only burned 2 quarts of oil for 820 miles. I also forgot to post that the electric fan I had laying around was not up to the task of cooling the engine I had to put a thermal fan clutch on there. That is the part number I found that works well and still have over an inch and a half of clearance.

dart25.jpg

dart24.jpg

So the drive to Tucson was uneventful. So much so that I have really not much to say about it other than I wish I could go faster than 65mph for 6 hours. Other than that I got 22MPH and nothing went wrong. I had to adjust the valves when I got to Tucson and adjust them when I got back. It only burned 2 quarts of oil for 820 miles. I also forgot to post that the electric fan I had laying around was not up to the task of cooling the engine I had to put a thermal fan clutch on there. That is the part number I found that works well and still have over an inch and a half of clearance.
Bummer we didn't get a chance to meet. I saw you driving through the parking lot once though. I was only getting 18mpg but I was definitely going more than 65 the whole time ;) I have a 22 inch 2 row aluminum radiator with a Mishimoto slim fan and a homemade shroud. It just barely fits but did a fantastic job.
IMG_20180127_172950.jpg

Bummer we didn't get a chance to meet. I saw you driving through the parking lot once though. I was only getting 18mpg but I was definitely going more than 65 the whole time ;) I have a 22 inch 2 row aluminum radiator with a Mishimoto slim fan and a homemade shroud. It just barely fits but did a fantastic job. View attachment 1715135027

Yeah we stayed late friday night but then saturday we left around 2pm when the rain started. We drove home Sunday and stopped everywhere.

Its good to have friends with leftover **** laying around. I picked this off a running car for 150 bucks. He is going to gen 3 hemi so I scored. I know the plan was to get the wide band on the single barrel just to see what is going on with that but this will not happen sadly. I am going to switch this out this weekend. Then I will be putting on that wide band and go from there.

dart26.jpg

Last edited:
Please chime in if anyone knows the name of those really good intake gaskets for these please. Thanks.

I have looked and looked for a real answer. Any one know a safe over bore for a slant 6? This block I have needs to 0.060" to clean up. Sonic check looks good but without ANY real world experience with this engine I have no idea. Any real world input would be nice and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

.060 is not a problem.I know guys that have gone over .100 You did the right thing with the sonic check first.

This engine had some miles on it. Then it sat for a long time before someone decided to start using it again. They did not do any pre-lube and it just scored the crap out of it. But thanks for the info.

Ok Cam talk time. So as we know I am new to these leaning towers of ok power. I have always wondered why the stock valve setting are what they are 0.010"/0.020" and now I have my answer and a very good reason why you NEVER pick a cam based on advertised duration. So I pulled out a a few 100% stock cams 1968 and 2 1969 cams and they have the exact same specs so we are good on that. Duration at 0.050" 175/184 on a 110 lsa with a lobe lift of 0.217"/0.231" but here is where the funny business comes in. The ramp rates now let look at the intake first, duration at 0.005" 229, 0.010" 217, 0.020" 201, 0.050" 175, 0.100" 141, and 0.200"72. I design cam profiles for a living and these are more in line with modern Hydraulic flat tappet profiles hence the reason for the 0.010" lash. Now the exhaust is 100% like a solid flat tappet should be for that time. Duration 0.005" 326, 0.010" 271, 0.020" 223, 0.050" 184, 0.100" 148, and 0.200" 71. Now this is why the the lash on the exhaust is set at 0.020" because that is when the ramp rate really starts to move fast. The cam that I am doing for my new slant six is going to be a duration at 0.050" 204/208 on a 110lsa with a 0.299" lobe lift. These masters are true solid profiles so the lash will be 0.020" intake and 0.022" exhaust when done. So for me the age old mystery of this lash has been solved.

Last edited:
I grew-up with my Dads 1964 Plymouth Savoy w/ Slant6, push button auto. Old Dad swore by that car, the virtues of Chryslers 6 cylinder never stopped. So it figures when I returned from overseas in 1972 looking for a job, and a car to get there with,I found a career and a car, in the form of a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a Slant6 from the local Dodge dealership. A trade-in with 40k miles on it for $1,100. That Dodge became my daily driver from 1973 to 2005 and enmassed another 562k miles on the clock. Took the Dodge off the road in 2008, I retired in 2015 and slowly returning her to her hayday.

I grew-up with my Dads 1964 Plymouth Savoy w/ Slant6, push button auto. Old Dad swore by that car, the virtues of Chryslers 6 cylinder never stopped. So it figures when I returned from overseas in 1972 looking for a job, and a car to get there with,I found a career and a car, in the form of a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a Slant6 from the local Dodge dealership. A trade-in with 40k miles on it for $1,100. That Dodge became my daily driver from 1973 to 2005 and enmassed another 562k miles on the clock. Took the Dodge off the road in 2008, I retired in 2015 and slowly returning her to her hayday.

Good to hear and thanks for the story. This car will be here for as long as I am on this side of the dirt.

Would you design a cam for me ? I have plans of a 63 Belvedere with a Slant. If I find a good running engine it will be stock bore with head work, 4bbl intake, Headers and 4.10 gears. Weight around 3200-3300.Automatic with a 4500 converter.

Would you design a cam for me ? I have plans of a 63 Belvedere with a Slant. If I find a good running engine it will be stock bore with head work, 4bbl intake, Headers and 4.10 gears. Weight around 3200-3300.Automatic with a 4500 converter.

Yes I will 100% send it to Shane@crower.com I will also be posting the cam profile and how it works in my rebuild.

Will Do ! And keep posting your work,I enjoy reading about all the improvements you are doing.

Dart19666..... I’ve been enjoying reading your progress reports on your Slant6 Dart.you have a lot of good ideas for putting together what you want for a daily driver. As I said of my daily driver ‘70 Challenger with Slant6, I really enjoyed driving it on a daily basis. Basically a ‘70 Challenger which I improved reliability with that 6 under the hood. Starting with a Super Six 2bbl carb set-up, Mopar elect. ign. w/ orange box and Accel high output coil for spark reliability. Hooker 3 into 1 pavement dragger tubes, real dual 2 1/4” s/s exhaust w/ “H” pipe, 2 glasspak mufflers back to brite tips. Open element K&N air filter, 904 Auto. Trans. 8 3/4 742 case w/ 3.23 gear set. Big drum brakes all around.

D45E3BC3-3700-4004-9CC6-5B9FF87C9E0D.png

CCC1D1DE-2CF8-4550-8DF4-5CED38718CDD.png

Wow that rusty donor sure dont look too rusty to me. When you get ready to strip it out, theres a lot of metal i bet people will be looking gor out of it.

I have owned a few mopars with a buzzin half dozen. Very tough engine indeed. I like your thread. Subscribed

-
Back