1969 Dart Street/Strip (Re)Build

-
I had to put my drive on the shelf for a while. Now I’m just getting frustrated that the car isn’t close to being done, my buddy bailed out on helping me, so it’s more that I’m forced into getting it done now than anything and I know I’ve got to put in the hours.
Well at least u had someone helping for a while , my son ran the engine hoist for me back when I first put the 505 in. Other than that , it`s been me, myself, and I. Well, I lied, my wife pumped the pedal, back when I bled the new brake system. Hang in there, ur car is way too much to stall out on !!

Not much progress posts but I’m very very close. Got to fire it up for the first time in many many months. The engine fired right off no problems. Transmission works forward and backward, no leaks, all electrical is working, just need to button up a few things and we’re road ready!

She’s finally on the ground. Dusted it off and took it for a test drive today and most went well. For some reason I don’t have first gear in auto mode. It will only start out in 2nd. I can pull it in to 1st and it works that way. 4th gear I only managed to get to engage once. I didn’t get it on the highway so I imagine that’s why. So I’ll check a couple things and see if it’s something simple.

979_A70_EF-1_C61-4_F0_D-8452-_DDEFCC97_E16_B.jpg

8_FDE5345-21_C3-4408-9_CA8-10784_D218_C75.jpg

FB385_A8_B-_A7_E2-4_F12-_A144-053_FC6138_D87.jpg

Damn, that looks awesome! What do the short link bars going from the differential cover to the outboard side of the axle tubes do? Never seen those before. Do they help with deflection or something?

Damn, that looks awesome! What do the short link bars going from the differential cover to the outboard side of the axle tubes do? Never seen those before. Do they help with deflection or something?

Yes that is the back bracing. That’s the way you have to brace the Dana to keep the tubing from flexing forward. The previous owner bent the rear (yes he bent a Dana housing with the power he has) so it was straightened and I braced it so it wouldn’t move again.

Any seat time yet? Curious how it hooks. My car is having trouble with traction.

Not yet. First drive was Saturday and I only have about 6 miles on it. Need to let the trans break in and figure out why I don’t have 1st gear in drive (auto). Plus I don’t have insurance.

After some more driving, I figured out that the transmission does drop into first but only at very very low speeds or at a stop. I believe this is attributed to the high stall converter confusing the transmission into thinking it needs to shift quicker. Transmission guy believes there’s an adjustment for that. This car needs 4.30’s or 4.56 gears with the 30” tires for sure. With 3.91’s and 30” tires, it’s a little too much road gear for the cam in this engine. Plus it will kill me at the track. But for just cruising, it would be a great combo!

B9B86124-B817-4A9D-A01B-68CD36904F90.jpg

87AA7DA9-ACBB-486C-857F-C8C902CFE0D2.jpg

Here’s a little teaser for you guys. With the help of my buddy Troy who was featured in Car Craft with his 3rd gen turbo Hemi that runs low 8’s, he sent some information and a picture to a local photographer that shoots for several different car magazines. Well I gave more info and pictures to the photographer and he sent it out and to the magazine editors and one of them picked up the Dart for a feature! We shoot the photographs next week so the car is at the painter’s getting a polish done on it. I’m a little beside myself but wow what a great honor to have my car in this magazine!!!

Congratulations! Indeed an honor. I'll be looking for the issue in my mailbox. Signing copies for us?

So here’s the top of the tech sheet. Now you know which magazine it will be in. At least that’s what I’m being told! Suppose I’ll believe it when the mag hits my hand. This is crazy! We shoot Saturday so wish me luck!

6_A9_E0_EC0-_D011-4_AE1-9864-7_EE3950_C581_D.jpg

365F57F4-2328-48FB-865B-66CEA3588293.jpg

68FFA000-F37E-4CF0-8CC5-E2B70C7F2C2B.jpg

742FE7DD-C253-4E72-8AFE-98614ACABD30.jpg

BB8E9FF6-EDA4-4CB1-8931-DB0C09169E8A.jpg

F673BCA4-3B45-4B03-8D5B-83599A86CBD1.jpg

Here’s my newer and even shorter exhaust. Maybe it’s just me but I swear it’s quieter.

449_A9420-8860-42_D0-_BF58-3_DE2_E5_B67651.jpg

Here’s a little teaser for you guys. With the help of my buddy Troy who was featured in Car Craft with his 3rd gen turbo Hemi that runs low 8’s, he sent some information and a picture to a local photographer that shoots for several different car magazines. Well I gave more info and pictures to the photographer and he sent it out and to the magazine editors and one of them picked up the Dart for a feature! We shoot the photographs next week so the car is at the painter’s getting a polish done on it. I’m a little beside myself but wow what a great honor to have my car in this magazine!!!

I love this car.
Let us know when it's in Mopar Muscle, I let my subscription lapse.

Thanx

-
Back