1969 Dart Swinger 340 4 Speed

-
That is a nice colour combo for sure. Looking good.
Thanks! Not too worried about waiting for the seat covers, I'm a long way from that point right now. I do like the color of the stuff they've sent so far...

headliner, head rest covers.jpg

door panels. visors.jpg

Time for another photo dump to catch you up to where I'm at now. Car body is all blocked and final primed and masked off.
001.jpg

Shot what was left of the exterior body plus the deck lid un this go around. Honestly thought that matte metallic finish looked kinda bad ***.
002.jpg

004a.jpg

Then 4 coats of clear to make it shine!
005.jpg

006.jpg

After some curing time, they got on the wet sanding and moved on to buffing it all out. They went through 4 rounds of sanding, starting with 600 and finishing off at 2000 before buffing. Amazing the difference it makes in the finished product. I thought it looked pretty good after clear, but I've never had anything painted at this level before.
007a.jpg

008.jpg

021 (3).jpg

021 (2).jpg

Ten pics per post I guess, so continuing on...
022.jpg

Doors came out great...
023.jpg

024.jpg

fenders as well...

029.jpg

Hood before cut and buff...
026.jpg

and after...
028.jpg

now onto the body. Labor intensive this stuff is, hats off to people who know how to do this kind of work!
030a.jpg

030.jpg

that is great! my shoulders ache just thinking about all the work involved. Your car is gonna pop in the sun! It's future's so bright, you better wear shades!

After the body was done, it was a lot of unmasking and cleanup prior to panels going back on.
032.jpg

033.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

Had them spray deadener/silencer back on the inside of the quarters (pre-paint), tried to copy what factory engineers spec'd out...
038.jpg

038a.jpg

Took this pic with the flash on. This color changes a bit between different light. Shop lights vs. sunlight makes a huge difference in how it flops. Should make the body lines really pop on a sunny day!
042.jpg

Fenders and doors back on!
044.jpg

...and outside getting a some sunshine on it...
045.jpg

046.jpg

... now for the trip home:eek:

Well. last weekend has came and went and all went well getting the car home. Was a little sketched with the dolly under it but it was fine. Took back roads and took it easy.

047.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

050a.jpg

Had a good car watching my six.
053a.jpg

Rolling it in...
054a.jpg

and tucked away.
homeb.jpg

Yep you have 100% convinced me to do T5 with mine. That car looks amazing.

How long was your car at the for paint and bodywork?

Those bumpers look familiar… the shop disassembled the fenders and doors then reinstalled them? Not you?

2724B22A-4C3B-4E99-8BE4-C5AA909834BE.jpeg

It was there for about a year. That includes the trip to the dipper for a month or so. I suppose it varies on how much work they have and type of car. My friends '67 camaro was a two month shorter stay. That was the original color for that car so I headed that direction but now that it's done, super happy I stayed with T5. Obviously it isn't exactly factory T5, base coat/clear coat with pearl added, so I'd call it a more modern T5. I disassembled everything when I took it down there, all panels were off, hinges removed there wasn't a nut, bolt or screw left, but I was more than happy to have them put panels back on. Figured if it got chipped it's already at the paint shop!

It was there for about a year. That includes the trip to the dipper for a month or so. I suppose it varies on how much work they have and type of car. My friends '67 camaro was a two month shorter stay. That was the original color for that car so I headed that direction but now that it's done, super happy I stayed with T5. Obviously it isn't exactly factory T5, base coat/clear coat with pearl added, so I'd call it a more modern T5. I disassembled everything when I took it down there, all panels were off, hinges removed there wasn't a nut, bolt or screw left, but I was more than happy to have them put panels back on. Figured if it got chipped it's already at the paint shop!

Hopefully mine won’t be a 1yr process, most of my body work is already done and the undercoat is on. I asked about the panels because I keep chipping my engine bay paint installing the front fenders. It’s driving me crazy knowing there is a scratch there even though it will never be seen. Except maybe that one on the front support. Lol.

7B8F33DC-9F6C-4197-8240-83E9717FCAEF.jpeg

E1D5F35D-D385-4A53-ABCE-4C5152BC215F.jpeg

D9CCF789-F3B0-4664-A1B8-748F64C691EE.jpeg

A year is a long time for for body and paint but it depends a lot on the shop, their work load, how much is being done to the car and tons of other variables. Sounds like you are a few steps ahead of me as far as body work and the undercoat. These guys had the panels off and on so much between the metal work, blocking and painting to get the panel gaps right it didn't take them long to do the final assembly.

Very hard to find shops that do work like that on a Mopar. That car looks straight as glass. That is a lot of block sanding. What was the total price from their shop on the west coast?

I may get a divorce and move there just to have my Demon done. Then move back and beg forgiveness.

That is going to be one amazing Swinger. Thanks for sharing the build. Let me know when its ready for pick up. LOL

The paint is beautiful. Everything you add now...will make or brake the appearance, thus far. Good glass and trim are SO important.
Congrats on that beauty!

Well. last weekend has came and went and all went well getting the car home. Was a little sketched with the dolly under it but it was fine. Took back roads and took it easy.

View attachment 1716070836

View attachment 1716070838

View attachment 1716070839

View attachment 1716070837
Had a good car watching my six.
View attachment 1716070848
Rolling it in...
View attachment 1716070851
and tucked away.
View attachment 1716070850
that looks scarey sitting that hi up on the trailer. glad you and the car made it home safely.
seeing that makes me wonder: could you make a dolly that would convert into a trailer? slide tubing in that has larger tires/axles and the front has the trailer hitch?

Will post some more metal work progress soon and some of the appurtenances that I've been slowly working on trying to have things ready for assembly. First full car resto so I'll have plenty of questions! When
Will post some more metal work progress soon and some of the appurtenances that I've been slowly working on trying to have things ready for assembly. First full car resto so

When they dip it do they split the hood ???

Very nice build, love the T5 and saddle color combo. I have a 69 Coronet R/T, the same color combo. When my car was fairly new the original owner had it repainted a little darker, it does look better than the original T5. Absolutely stunning! Will be watching the rest. Carry on!

The paint is beautiful. Everything you add now...will make or brake the appearance, thus far. Good glass and trim are SO important.
Congrats on that beauty!
Totally agree! There were so many parts I thought I was going to clean up and re-use and now I have to rethink that. The glass thing really has me thinking. I have some good factory glass (no cracks, little to no chips, acid etch still there) but glass wears, just like everything else. My friend ordered all new glass with correct dates for his '70 challenger. I'll work on a few pieces then make the call.

-
Back