1969 Dodge Dart Swinger clean up

-
All lined up waiting for a check up!
Two of them 1990 Super Coupes. White one's an auto and my Silver one in behind it is a 5 gear. Gave it to my Son way back in 2000 or so to drive to University. Someone clocked the front end with a snow plow, so I bought the White one for parts. Then the kid forgot to keep the oil up and I think he spun a rod bearing, or a rocker started knocking and we parked it.
tbirdsapril202014 001.JPG

I don't know what the deal is with that Gulf Station in Perkinsfield.

It never opened and has been sitting closed for about 2 years now.

By the time I did a couple curb side pick ups this morning, changed the UV bulbs and filters in the furnace, fixed a leaking water valve and had a late lunch there was no point starting airplane work... so I did a 240 mile checkup on the Dart this afternoon instead.

I do love this lift..
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 017.JPG

I thought the transmission was leaking based on a couple a dots on the cardboard I had down, but it's clean.
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 026.JPG

Engine is weeping and my fear was front pan/crank seal.
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 032.JPG

Nice and clean up front, so it's just a bolt weeping by the looks of things. Snugged them all up, we'll see what's what on the next check up.
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 036.JPG

Drivers side nice and clean, no rocker cover leaks.
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 042.JPG

Only thing I found even slightly loose. Got a 1/2 turn out of a shock stud nut.
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 056.JPG

Also fixed a weeping heater hose connection on the Bee, so they're both ready for the next wellness tour !
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 057.JPG

Ordered Thursday, received today. Driven right to my shop door by the cute amazon delivery gal. FREE delivery and only 60 bucks each. Can't beat it! Now to find the time to take the noise cans off and install these, so we can drive the thing without going deaf.
1969dartswingermufflers 001.JPG
1969dartswingermufflers 006.JPG
1969dartswingermufflers 007.JPG
1969dartswingermufflers 009.JPG

What is in it now?
Some no name copy of a Flowmaster. While it's cool rumbling up to a stop light like a top fuel dragster it gets old REALLY quickly! Dart and Bee idling side by side and I can't even hear the Bee running and it has a pretty good cam rumble to it.

I've had the same muffler in a 2 1/4 pipe diameter in my Dart for over 20 years.

I really like them.

The lifetime warranty comes in handy when you have an ignition coil cut out while stomping on it and it blows the inside baffles loose....

Last edited:
Some restoration parts are moving again, only took 5.5 months but I got her catwisker window fuzzies today from Nigel at National Moparts. Even got some free lumber, probably worth more in todays markets than the $169Cdn for the 8pc seal kit, but a great way to make sure they get shipped without being bent.
1969dartcleanupwindowsweeps 001.JPG
1969dartcleanupwindowsweeps 003.JPG
1969dartcleanupwindowsweeps 005.JPG

Can those be installed with the door glass in place
Yes, although sometimes you need to remove the glass stop to get the window down a bit lower. Did that on my Bee to insure I didn't chip paint, but I did them without even taking the inner door panels off my SuperBird.. so hope I can pull that off with the Dart as well. Haven't even looked to see if the rear window inners are clipped or stapled like Plymouth B bodies are. Hoping they're clipped.

Fresh out of the mail box from Pennsylvania. Thanks @highwaystar ! A pair and a spare of vent window holders. Absolutely perfect and the top two at least look to be freshly chromed or NOS stock, not a mark on the pivot posts. Chrome job alone around here would be about $250 a PIECE. I've have a "want to buy" out for over a year with no response, but last week highwaystar put these up for sale and I snagged them not even sure if the were correct for the car.
1969dartswingerfinecleanup2022 001.jpg

The pair on the car are heavily pitted.
1969dartswingerfinecleanup2022 004.jpg

Now the fun parts is going to be tearing the door and glass apart to swap them out.
1969dartswingerfinecleanup2022 009.jpg

NOW.... where were we.... OH yah f'n shifter shaft / throttle shaft seals. Headers are an absolute PITA....
1969darttransmissionseals 001.jpg

I'm not going to lie Wayne I'm envious of your hoist . :lol:
As long as it's just my hoist you want to play with!! :D Even with it my back isn't letting me enjoy the day. Nerves are pinching off and been picking myself up off the floor the last two days but I'm going back out there shortly to see if I can get them changed without pulling the transmission or the headers!

As long as it's just my hoist you want to play with!! :D Even with it my back isn't letting me enjoy the day. Nerves are pinching off and been picking myself up off the floor the last two days but I'm going back out there shortly to see if I can get them changed without pulling the transmission or the headers!
Lmao . Well it will keep you out of trouble .

Time to tackle the transmission leaking out the shifter shaft / throttle shaft seals. Wish I'd done them when it was all sitting on the floor, but there was no sign they leaked before tear down. Gonna let my stubborn Irish side have a go at doing this without pulling the headers out of the way, or dropping the transmission.
1969darttransmissionseals 003.jpg

Many think they have a leaking pan gasket, you have to look closely to see that red fluid sitting under the shift lever, held there by surface tension.
1969darttransmissionseals 008.jpg

What a place to try and work. I can get one hand in and not that well.
1969darttransmissionseals 011.jpg

Throttle shaft lever bolt loosened off via 12" of of extension from the rear.
1969darttransmissionseals 015.jpg

Shift lever bolt accessed from the front.
1969darttransmissionseals 017.jpg

Levers popped off and you know you're in the right place!
1969darttransmissionseals 019.jpg

Time to play dental hygienist !
1969darttransmissionseals 030.jpg

Amazing how hard it is to find the throttle shaft seals (the small one). Tried everywhere, got two off Ebay last year. The bigger shift shaft seal is available everywhere.
1969darttransmissionseals 032.jpg

Snap clip and washer removed from throttle shaft and new seals ready to go in.
1969darttransmissionseals 036.jpg

Out come the dental picks. Stab and try to hook the throttle shaft seal out without breaking off the pick.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 002.JPG

Old seal out..
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 006.JPG

Break out the dental drill. Like I said I'm not pulling this transmission to get this done.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 010.JPG

Carefully drilled two holes as close to 180 degrees as I can. Not easy up in there. Gotta feel around to make sure I'm drilling the seal
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 012.JPG

Two deck screws threaded in. #2 Roberston bit and a 1/4" wrench.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 016.JPG

And just like that.. it pops out.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 018.JPG

Old seal out.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 020.JPG

Now to get the new seals in. Shifter seal set in place over the large shaft, ready to get it into place somehow.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 023.JPG

Can just get a carpenters clamp between the pan and the headers.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 024.JPG

Socket on top of seal and then a stack of washers on top so the clamp clears the cooler line. Tighten up the clamp and the seal is pressed in.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 025.JPG

Throttle shaft seal going into place. Seal, then washer.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 026.JPG

Last edited:
Deep 3/8 socket to push the seal into place.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 027.JPG

Then the washer and circle clip back into the shaft grove and reinstall the levers.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 028.JPG

These noise makers have to go. Kinda neat pulling up to the lights like a top fuel dragster, but it grows old in a hurry.
1969darttransmissionseals 013.jpg

Picked these up last Fall, $60 each to the door off Amazon.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 033.JPG

Dynomax Super Turbo 17733. 2.5" in and out.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 035.JPG

Love to shoot the exhaust guy... great place to try and grind welds.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 037.JPG

One side apart.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 040.JPG

Passenger side fighting me but I got the tailpipe loose so supported the pipes so not to stress the header flanges.
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 043.JPG

Enough for the day..
1969darttransmissionsealsexhaust 044.JPG

Last edited:
Yikes.......Pretty easy to drop the valve body. I'd be afraid of nicking the one of the sealing surfaces working like a contortionist. You are a better man than I:)

Yikes.......Pretty easy to drop the valve body. I'd be afraid of nicking the one of the sealing surfaces working like a contortionist. You are a better man than I:)
Not pulling a non leaking pan or playing with a valve body to change a couple of seals. That drill and I have a long understanding relationship!! :D Headers certainly made it a PITA though... hate the things.

-
Back