1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
The wood paneling under the seat is period correct. This thread is great!
I was wondering when someone would mention the paneling, LOL. We are assuming he did that so the carpet laid better, The floor is perfect under the carpeting...............except the extra cutting for the shifter.

I need to check for holes in the wall at my MIL's :rofl:

Last edited:
I saw the groove in one of the other pictures and thought what the heck is that? Holy crap on the welded balance bolt! That’s the kind of stuff that exits the pan at 6500 rpm. Good call NOT using that crank again.
Made the decision as easy one.:thumbsup:

IF he is up for it, a scarebird kit hardly adds anything to the track, if anything at all

BUT i totally get it if he doesn't want to do that on this car
Thanks, going to stick with the current setup for now. New shoes and all brake lines will be replaced.

you may want to re-consider the transmission / shifter swap. While changing the internals and eliminating the slick shift is a good idea for street /show car use, I would leave it as your FIL built it and keep what was very common in the late 60's and early70's with the HD 18 spine B/E body tail shaft 833 and shifter relocate.

internally, I did exactly that with the aluminum case 18 spline / race 833 4-speed in the California Flash Duster restoration. The slick shift goodies are still on the shelf. The standard internals are easily found.....not exactly made out of unobtainium.

The Flash was built in 1975 with the short tail shaft transmission, but numerous A bodies race cars and hot rods used the longer tailshaft / B body trans. IMHO, it's a period correct modification....and friggin cool.

you will have a blast with your ride!!!

20221109_133204.jpg

20200609_162937 (1).jpg

500 incher_142101.jpg

20190220_113715.jpg

20200306_142036.jpg

Last edited:
you may want to re-consider the transmission / shifter swap. While changing the internals and eliminating the slick shift is a good idea for street /show car use, I would leave it as your FIL built it and keep what was very common in the late 60's and early70's with the HD 18 spine B/E body tail shaft 833 and shifter relocate.

internally, I did exactly that with the aluminum case 833 The California Flash restoration. The slick shift goodies are still on the self. The standard internals are easily found.....not exactly made out of unobtainium.

The Flash was built in 1975 with the short tail shaft transmission, but numerous A bodies race cars and hot rods used the longer tailshaft / B body trans. IMHO, it's a period correct modification....and friggin cool.

you will have a blast with your ride!!!

View attachment 1716079715

View attachment 1716079720

View attachment 1716079721

View attachment 1716079722

View attachment 1716079723
Thanks good info. Wow, great restoration :thumbsup:

After pulling this car out of the garage just weeks ago, I had no idea what was ahead of me. I have learned a lot about this car and cars like it from the era and this is due to all of you. I am honored to own this car and after being here, I understand what a rare thing it is nowadays to still find a “barn find”

Prior to no information, my mindset was probably typical of anyone who has no idea what they have. My first thought was man this car is cool and I cannot wait to get it back on the road. I thought clean it up, paint it, new wheels and tires, engine work, etc. Then I find the forum and I am thrown in the deep end of the pool, very deep……………. Well, “You don’t know what you don’t know.”

I continue to struggle daily on the direction of this car and what to do and not do with it. I change my mind daily and it is an overload of information. I think I made an informed decision and then more information is given and I am back to the struggle. I want to be a good steward of the gift I have been given.

Preservation of the time capsule………………... I guess if it was a true preservation, I would haul it on the trailer to wherever and show it off as it was put away 50 years ago. In regards to restoration, I find original parts for a 340 Swinger 4 speed car, repaint it and make it look as it came off the showroom floor in 1969.

I may make some changes that some do not agree with. I do not think there is a right or wrong with this car…………. As many have stated this is one of a kind. A regular guy from NJ decided to build a race car and have fun with it. Now his daughter and SIL are going to get it back on the road and enjoy it as well. From pictures and conversations, this car has changed numerous times over the short time it was driven and raced on the track. In the end, I think my FIL will be proud of how his old car turns out and is put back on the road after so many years.

After pulling this car out of the garage just weeks ago, I had no idea what was ahead of me. I have learned a lot about this car and cars like it from the era and this is due to all of you. I am honored to own this car and after being here, I understand what a rare thing it is nowadays to still find a “barn find”

Prior to no information, my mindset was probably typical of anyone who has no idea what they have. My first thought was man this car is cool and I cannot wait to get it back on the road. I thought clean it up, paint it, new wheels and tires, engine work, etc. Then I find the forum and I am thrown in the deep end of the pool, very deep……………. Well, “You don’t know what you don’t know.”

I continue to struggle daily on the direction of this car and what to do and not do with it. I change my mind daily and it is an overload of information. I think I made an informed decision and then more information is given and I am back to the struggle. I want to be a good steward of the gift I have been given.

Preservation of the time capsule………………... I guess if it was a true preservation, I would haul it on the trailer to wherever and show it off as it was put away 50 years ago. In regards to restoration, I find original parts for a 340 Swinger 4 speed car, repaint it and make it look as it came off the showroom floor in 1969.

I may make some changes that some do not agree with. I do not think there is a right or wrong with this car…………. As many have stated this is one of a kind. A regular guy from NJ decided to build a race car and have fun with it. Now his daughter and SIL are going to get it back on the road and enjoy it as well. From pictures and conversations, this car has changed numerous times over the short time it was driven and raced on the track. In the end, I think my FIL will be proud of how his old car turns out and is put back on the road after so many years.
Well stated. Most love the car and what it is, as is. But you own the car now. Do as you wish with it and enjoy it. Take liberties were you need or choose. I went and go through that too. My story (in my signature) was finding my dad's old car. He bought new and raced it while owning it. It is a true Mr Norms GSS Demon 340 6pack car. I found it in a barn in 2018 after 34 years. I found it, put it back to as how I rode in it in 1982 when he sold it. And then took liberties to make it mine. Fortunately I am still cruising the car everywhere I can and with Dad in his Cuda. It has been amazing. Do what makes you happy. Personally I would keep the tunnel ram and hemi, change the 4spd to something easy to use but leave most as is. Baddass as your FIL built it

Well stated. Most love the car and what it is, as is. But you own the car now. Do as you wish with it and enjoy it. Take liberties were you need or choose. I went and go through that too. My story (in my signature) was finding my dad's old car. He bought new and raced it while owning it. It is a true Mr Norms GSS Demon 340 6pack car. I found it in a barn in 2018 after 34 years. I found it, put it back to as how I rode in it in 1982 when he sold it. And then took liberties to make it mine. Fortunately I am still cruising the car everywhere I can and with Dad in his Cuda. It has been amazing. Do what makes you happy. Personally I would keep the tunnel ram and hemi, change the 4spd to something easy to use but leave most as is. Baddass as your FIL built it
Thanks. It is hard to convey your point in writing and not sound like I do not appreciate all the information which has been provided.:thumbsup:

Thanks. It is hard to convey your point in writing and not sound like I do not appreciate all the information which has been provided.:thumbsup:
We are all just here to watch. Cant make everyone happy. I was just sharing I go through the same most days. Ultimately I am much happier with the car as is than having another restored car blending in with the one next to it. I had posted a thread, and will now have to find again, "when do you restore a racecar". Most said almost no matter what, a racecar should stay one. Many old race cars lose their story and just become another factory car. It helped me.

IMHO (once again)....detune the Hemi using its current internals except a new set of H beam rods. I would use the crank you have, possibly even the cam. Rings, bearings, small stuff replacement are a given since it will be apart. Rebuild the trans you have with OEM internals keeping it 18 spine and current shifter / shifter location. Small sheet metal repair if required in the tunnel area. Heck, I would leave the funky ladder bars....not seen every day.

Clean up and rebuild only what is needed of the cool ride you inherited..... and don't go crazy changing what your FIL built. Preserve the basic look, but make it safe, reliable as possible and functional. Be practical and forget about making a daily driver out of a purpose built race car. That would almost require a complete make-over, not to mention a deep wallet.

Most are excited about what the car is.

and always remember.....my posts are mostly for entertainment purposes. Your car, your $$$ ...your build. Thanks for sharing.

IMHO (once again)....detune the Hemi using its current internals except a new set of H beam rods. I would use the crank you have, possibly even the cam. Rings, bearings, small stuff replacement are a given since it will be apart. Rebuild the trans you have to stock internals keeping it 18 spine and current shifter / shifter location. Small sheet metal repair if required in the tunnel area. Heck, I would leave the funky ladder bars....not seen every day.

Clean up and rebuild only what is needed of the cool ride you inherited..... and don't go crazy changing what your FIL built. Preserve the basic look, but make it safe, reliable as possible and functional. Be practical and forget about making a daily driver out of a purpose built race car. That would almost require a complete make-over, not to mention a deep wallet.

and always remember.....my posts are mostly for entertainment purposes. Your car, your $$$ ...your build. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! No daily driver for sure.............Engine, trans, wheels, tires and something with the hood. Other than that, it will be how it was pushed out of the garage. I appreciate your input and information it helps and gets me thinking :thumbsup:

IMHO (once again)....detune the Hemi using its current internals except a new set of H beam rods. I would use the crank you have, possibly even the cam. Rings, bearings, small stuff replacement are a given since it will be apart. Rebuild the trans you have with OEM internals keeping it 18 spine and current shifter / shifter location. Small sheet metal repair if required in the tunnel area. Heck, I would leave the funky ladder bars....not seen every day.

Zero chance of using that crankshaft, it is JUNK. Using a crank that someone grooved the mains is a bit crazy, and zero chance of leaving the torsion bar crossmember cut out and twisting the floor also. The spirit of the car will remain, but it will be built to be drivable, and safe.

Thanks! No daily driver for sure.............Engine, trans, wheels, tires and something with the hood. Other than that, it will be how it was pushed out of the garage. I appreciate your input and information it helps and gets me thinking :thumbsup:
I've been kind of stuck on the wheel well mods myself because I bought a raced up A12 that was hacked there. No bondo in mine, but TBH it doesn't improve what was done.

Anyway ... if you're going to leave that like it is, then it would be confusing at best to turn it into a mild street car.

Nobody cares if your racecar is cut up, that makes it cool. Your sort of normal other wise collector car? Jerks will be pointing those out for the rest of time.

I have a slightly off topic response to this thread. I have been closely following it since the OP started it. OP - thank you for sharing this journey with the rest of us. Now comes the sort of off topic part. When I first opened the thread, I thought - hmm, this might be interesting.
As I have been reading, an interesting thing began happening to me. I am a 67 year old guy and I had pretty much lost interest in my Cuda. It has been put on jack stands and pretty much untouched since last summer.
Following this thread has gotten me re inspired to get mine back in the game. My upcoming weekend plans have changed in order to get mine back in shape. I am going to start making time for this again.
OP - thank you for inspiring me again. I will keep following along with you and the direction you decide to take with this prize car.

I've been kind of stuck on the wheel well mods myself because I bought a raced up A12 that was hacked there. No bondo in mine, but TBH it doesn't improve what was done.

Anyway ... if you're going to leave that like it is, then it would be confusing at best to turn it into a mild street car.

Nobody cares if your racecar is cut up, that makes it cool. Your sort of normal other wise collector car? Jerks will be pointing those out for the rest of time.
Not going to do anything on body work.............. :thumbsup:.

Not understanding your statement of , "if your going to leave that like it is, then it would be confusing at best to turn into a mild street car?"

Leave what like it is?

Also like I said I don't know much in relation to this stuff, but this big *** 426 hemi won't be a mild street car:steering:

Thanks

I have a slightly off topic response to this thread. I have been closely following it since the OP started it. OP - thank you for sharing this journey with the rest of us. Now comes the sort of off topic part. When I first opened the thread, I thought - hmm, this might be interesting.
As I have been reading, an interesting thing began happening to me. I am a 67 year old guy and I had pretty much lost interest in my Cuda. It has been put on jack stands and pretty much untouched since last summer.
Following this thread has gotten me re inspired to get mine back in the game. My upcoming weekend plans have changed in order to get mine back in shape. I am going to start making time for this again.
OP - thank you for inspiring me again. I will keep following along with you and the direction you decide to take with this prize car.
This is awesome, Thanks! Thank you for following along and reviving your build! Looking forward to seeing your car!!

Are you going to re-use the headers if they're in good shape? The reason I ask, is there is a top-notch coating place not too far from @replicaracer43 that does awesome work.

-
Back