1969 Valiant Slicing

-
I think maybe you went the wrong direction. Instead of eliminating the b pillar, I think maybe you should have left it intact, and brought the c pillar forward into into the b. This would have left the front seat area intact, and removed the backseat, and left the back quarter window in place. You would have also been able to reuse the front doors without (possibly) modification

the proportions may look better if you threw a 2-3" roof chop into the mix.
i have some experience of shortening, i did a 1979 ford cortina (uk car). i took about 2 feet out the middle. the amount was decided by the seats, there's 2 crossmembers in the car floor at the front of the rear and front seats. i cut in front of both so the rear footwell and front seta mounting area was gone. it now had a bench 'front' seat that had to be notched in the centre to get 2nd and 4th gears on the floor shift. the rockers were rusty so i bought 1 repair panel that did both sides with a bit left over, lol. it was to be a summer car so the roof came off leaving the 'a' posts and screen and the doors were welded shut. welding the doors meant no sub structure was needed which simplified the job a bunch. and yes i agree with comments above it would look better with no roof.
good luck, i'll be watching from the uk.
neil.
ps my cortina took 3 evenings after work from firing up my petrol disc cutter to unmasking it painted, lol.

Last edited:
Wow! A lot more challenging than my simple wagon conversion from a wagon to a 2 door sedan delivery (or panel wagon)

A094BCBD-530F-43E8-9CAC-C345319FDDBC.jpeg

Well, let me be the first to say that I don't like it.
Not at all.
I can certainly appreciate the skills it takes to fabricate a car like this, but it would be extremely hard to get the proportions right.
Getting the doors to look right will be a nightmare...

Here’s a 74 Valiant that was shortened even more than what you shortened yours. This one just has lexan for the door glass.

A5FF2587-151D-46E9-8E41-E041E764C996.jpeg

F3C388FF-3CB0-41A0-BFFF-073D1BDA48E7.jpeg

D0100408-B76A-4399-8EF0-309AA24E3D7C.jpeg

Well, let me be the first to say that I don't like it.
Not at all.
I can certainly appreciate the skills it takes to fabricate a car like this, but it would be extremely hard to get the proportions right.
Getting the doors to look right will be a nightmare...
I don't like every custom car I see either.

interesting project you gonna shorten the truck to put into proportion?, i want to cut up a 1st gen cuda to mustang proportion.
I might shorten the rear. Will make that decision after I get the doors done.

Follow your vision,chop that cuda and don't worry about the haters.

forgot to say, for this kind of mod' i usually print a side pic' and cut and tape it to see if it'll look ok. much easier to cut up some photos than a car to get it how you like it, lol.

forgot to say, for this kind of mod' i usually print a side pic' and cut and tape it to see if it'll look ok. much easier to cut up some photos than a car to get it how you like it, lol.
I agree. Here are a few of my photo studies.

Dan 12 cut.jpg

Dan 24 cut full rooof end bob.jpg

Dan 24 cut.jpg

RC 2.jpg

RC 3.jpg

SHORTENED CHOPPED AND EXTENDED ROOF AND SHORTENED REAR.jpg

SHORTENED CHOPPED ROOF.jpg

dan-24-cut-jpg.jpg

I like this one the best, I'd move the tires rearwards though.

Here’s another idea. I can’t photo shop so this is the best I could do. Lol

B6A14AA7-F6BA-4921-89F0-A6D0B1356653.jpeg

I see Big Motor and wheelie bars in the future for this car. Can’t wait to see it.

Here’s another idea. I can’t photo shop so this is the best I could do. Lol

View attachment 1716068841
Nice idea. To do any shortening of the rear, I have to get rid of the leaf springs. QA1 makes a
triangulated 4 link to solve that problem. Twelve to fourteen inches can be taken off the rear before it starts taking area from the gas tank. It would be nice to use the stock gas tank.

Last edited:
Nice idea. To do any shorting of the rear, I have to get rid of the leaf springs. QA1 makes a
triangulated 4 link to solve that problem. Twelve to fourteen inches can be taken off the rear before it starts taking area from the gas tank. It would be nice to use the stock gas tank.
Oh that’s right. I hadn’t even thought of the leaf springs. I did think about the gas tank though, in that hatchback style I posted, I guess the gas tank would have to be in the hatch area.

-
Back