1970 DUSTER 440 4spd 8 3/4 posi

-
THE CAR
IS GOING TO THE SHOP
TO GET INSPECTED
TOMARROW MORNING!!!!!!
I took it for a drive this morning around the block. Pretty fun, I was going about 30km, then steped on it and it broke loose, and was just given her. i let off because it still isn't insured, and I don't want to piss in my own back yard. But I am soo excited to insure it tomarrow evening.

I WILL BE GOING TO A&W, and Killer customs car show this thursday with the car.

Phil​

Here are the pics of my exhaust and e brake cables

this is a pic of how the exhaust comes out the rear
exhaust001.jpg

here is it going up and over the diff, and leaf spring, and shock and close to the tank on the passanger side
exhaust004.jpg

and this is the ebrake cable braket I had to weld in. Not pretty, but it works.

exhaust007.jpg

IT PASSED!

I went to go insure it, and I can't. Some idiot at the boarder forgot to stamp the paper work, when I imported it. I will be phoning the border tomarrow, and figuring out when and how I can get the paper work stamped, then It will be insured.

Phil

This thing just goes, My buddie who inspected it, took it for a burn, and he was in 3rd at 50 miles/hour, and he stomped on it, and it whent sideways, I'm gunna have to figure out some better traction.

Very cool, sorry to hear about someone forgetting a stamp. Since it has a Washington plate I think you should let me have it, I'm just east of Seattle, in Kirkland. Its been fun watching the build.

Very cool, sorry to hear about someone forgetting a stamp. Since it has a Washington plate I think you should let me have it, I'm just east of Seattle, in Kirkland. Its been fun watching the build.

Ummmmm....No.

yeah it kinda sucks, I have been told by a couple insurance places that I have to have it from that border. I hope I don't have to bring the car to them. I prob will have to. Thats guna be alot in gas...if I am aloud to insure it for the day. I don't know if the insurance company will let me.

Good thing it was the canadian customs that messed up. I can yell a bit at them...they don't have a gun!

Phil

PS do you reconize the car? Some well known dodge guy down there had a hand in building it, I want to know his name, and what the story is with the car. Whoever built the engine knew what they were doing. I want to find out what HP it is about with the parts they used.

No I don't but until recently all I did was F body. I will make some inquiries though. Is there anything that I can ask that might stir up memories?

No I don't but until recently all I did was F body. I will make some inquiries though. Is there anything that I can ask that might stir up memories?

The guy I bought it from didn't do any work to it. He bought it from a freind that was building it. But he didn't know anything about who was helping his freind build it. The person that was the well known dodge guy down there, suposidly helped re-locate the rear leaf springs, and put in frame conectors. The diff was also modified out of something really big. it was narrowed 3 inches on each side, and it now looks like a stoke A body diff. some things that they might know is that the car WAS red ( i did buy it yellow allready though), and was a /6 3 spd manual. it had NO interior when I bought it, and the engine was allready assembled, but was missing push rods, and carb, and other bolt ons. Whoever was building the car, prob had to sell it quick for some reason. I bought it from a guy in Sumner Washington. I don't know where his buddie was from. It was built for the drag strip, and the well known dodge guy , I was told, was a drag racer guy too.

This is all hear say.

Phil

I will be at A&W and killer customs car shows thursday night with the duster. Come out if you can.

A&W in maple ridge, Killer customs in Pitt Meadows,

Phil

Hey looks good hope to see ya there. Better hope the rain holds off!!

Hey Don, It was nice to put a face to the name. Hope to see your car out there sometime. My fiance might take it to the show this week, I will be working.

Phil

Hey Don, I think I saw your car today, I saw it at Lordco.

On a side note, my car will be getting some mat black 440 duster stripes in a day or two.

Phil

Phil
Never commented on your car before But I gotta say I am impressed !
Seems like I remember reading the first post when you first started your project and now your taking it to shows WOW ! All I've really done with My car in about a year is clean-up the interior,rebuild the front suspension and brakes ,and straighten a few panels .
Man I wish I had your energy or time or both .
Way to go Man !

Phil
Never commented on your car before But I gotta say I am impressed !
Seems like I remember reading the first post when you first started your project and now your taking it to shows WOW ! All I've really done with My car in about a year is clean-up the interior,rebuild the front suspension and brakes ,and straighten a few panels .
Man I wish I had your energy or time or both .
Way to go Man !

Hey, Thank You.

I think alot of people have looked but not commented. Either that, Or I look at my own posts WAY too much! ;)

Honestly, I just turned alot of wrenches. If I had to do body work, I wouldn't have been done. But yeah, It even impressed me...I did have doubts. Its crazy to think that it whent from a drumb brake, Rolling shell, without INT, to what it is now, in 3 monthes.

Even still I will have to do more to it. But for now. Its as done as I want it, I just hope the tranny holds up. ( need to change the tail shaft bushing)

Phil

Like most of our projects it will probably never really be done just mostly done.In the mean time just enjoy it ! I wanna get all the mechanicals done on my car while I can still afford to drive it !

Well, i started this post With a goal to Finish my car and have it ready for my wedding day. I started with a rolling shell with no interior, or engine/tranny, and a rear end, that only had axles held in by a couple nuts. Three months later, and after alot of questions answered, I had finished it, and had it insured in June, one month befor the wedding. i just though I would use this oportunity to thank all of those that have helped me along the way. If I leave anyone out, Please don't take it personally.

dusterbd13 grumpuscreature mopar1962 Dusteriffic Thankyou for giving me all the info you all could know about Stearing linkage, and 440 clearance of the center link, and idler arms, and pitman arms. I guess half the fun is just trying to listen to everyone when sometimes, one might contradicts the other :)

Vancouver core. For the purchase of my Oil pan.

Robbie for the Bell housing

demon seed for you bits of info here and there, about the T bars, and the Flywheel, and the crank, and the balancer. you were there.

Brewers Perfprmance, For My 4 spd parts. Highly recomended

Rock auto parts for my Gas tank and sending unit

My Buddie at Lordco for LOTS and lots of parts

Summit racing for my Exhaust

The Mods, For running this site :)

and a couple freinds that came and turned some wrenches. Nick P, Nick O, and Luke

and don't forget all the people that left those little coments along the way. There is way to many people to mention, but honestly. When i was not fealing like working on the car, i would log onto the computer and see a new post by someone saying...

"Phil, Just found your thread today and read all the posts. NICE JOB ! Like someone else posted, you've done more in the last couple of months, than I've done on my Dart in a year and a half !!! Keep pressing on, don't let the little gremlins get to ya. You're VERY close now"

Or

"You are a lot closer to being done than many thought you would."

It really kept me going.

so Thank you all

Here are a couple pics of the big day. Still don't have the professional pics yet

weddingPictures055.jpg

weddingPictures078.jpg

Thank You

Man, every time I think it would be too much of a hassle to go big block with my own Duster (which I'd love to do), I'll read this post.

With the exception of a few bumps along the way, you made it look pretty easy and made me feel like a lazy bum because I haven't done it yet.

If I could kick my own ***, I would. Awesome thread, bro.

I'm thinkin' 440+6, Keisler 4spd auto, Dana
1003340hh8.jpg

Well, Now I am in paying off debt mode. But there are some things that I will wont to do to the car over the winter. I'm not going to put more money into it right away.

things that I want.

rear spoiler ( any recomendations?)
Front spoiler ( under front bumper where can I get it? )
Re build the 4 spd tranny. or buy a rebuild. ( any recomendations?)
Shark tooth grill. ( any Ideas of where to get it?)
re do my ralleys ( what is the paint called?)

I think that is pretty much it

Phil

Seeing as you managed to put that nice a car together for 6 grand or so, I'd say you are to be commended! It looks really nice. Sometime down the road, you might want to upgrade the exhaust to 3" mandrel bent tubes, which either means buying a kit from TTI Flowmaster, etc., or having it done at a good exhaust shop. An X pipe will bump the power up even more.
If you wind up with a over-heating problem, you could fab up a shroud and a rubber shield over the top to make sure the air goes through it. Check the trucks in salvage yards for the 7 blade clutch fan, if there's room. Usually found on late 360 trucks with the HD cooling option, think D350 work truck. I've found 2 in my travels, and have less than $30 US in both of them. You can find a lot of good stuff in heavy duty trucks....
If you have the .920 torsion bars, you should be in good shape, as these are a little bigger than stock equipment on 383 equipped A bodies. It sounds like you were able to avoid the problems my buddy had putting the 440 in his 69 Dart, which required some Z bar mods with the headers he used.
When the money improves, think about some Caltrac bars and maybe the springs. In the mean time, you can help out the stock springs by getting some bolt on spring clamps, andd clamping the portion of the springs ahead of the rear axle at every seperation. This helps control axle wind-up, and sort of makes the front of the spring act like the lower bar on a 4 link.
If you feel like further experimentation, take the clamps off the rear segment, it allows the rear of the spring to "fan" or seperate, and allows more chassis lift to plant the tires.
This varies from car to car, and if it doesn't help, just re clamp the rear of the leafs. You can either get a buddy to weld up an extension to for the pinion snubber if it isn't tall enough to reach the floor support area, or substitute a D series Dodge truck upper control arm snubber if the distance isn't too great, as they are taller than the stock rubber piece. Replacement snubbers for Lakewood traction bars work too. Usually these can be bought used at any swap meet cheap, just like greasy two barrel Chevy small block intakes!:toothy10: Keep the snubbers, throw the bars in the trunk for weight....
You are off to a real good start, both on the car and your marriage, here's wishing the best of luck to you on both!
Alan

Seeing as you managed to put that nice a car together for 6 grand or so, I'd say you are to be commended! It looks really nice. Sometime down the road, you might want to upgrade the exhaust to 3" mandrel bent tubes, which either means buying a kit from TTI Flowmaster, etc., or having it done at a good exhaust shop. An X pipe will bump the power up even more.
If you wind up with a over-heating problem, you could fab up a shroud and a rubber shield over the top to make sure the air goes through it. Check the trucks in salvage yards for the 7 blade clutch fan, if there's room. Usually found on late 360 trucks with the HD cooling option, think D350 work truck. I've found 2 in my travels, and have less than $30 US in both of them. You can find a lot of good stuff in heavy duty trucks....
If you have the .920 torsion bars, you should be in good shape, as these are a little bigger than stock equipment on 383 equipped A bodies. It sounds like you were able to avoid the problems my buddy had putting the 440 in his 69 Dart, which required some Z bar mods with the headers he used.
When the money improves, think about some Caltrac bars and maybe the springs. In the mean time, you can help out the stock springs by getting some bolt on spring clamps, andd clamping the portion of the springs ahead of the rear axle at every seperation. This helps control axle wind-up, and sort of makes the front of the spring act like the lower bar on a 4 link.
If you feel like further experimentation, take the clamps off the rear segment, it allows the rear of the spring to "fan" or seperate, and allows more chassis lift to plant the tires.
This varies from car to car, and if it doesn't help, just re clamp the rear of the leafs. You can either get a buddy to weld up an extension to for the pinion snubber if it isn't tall enough to reach the floor support area, or substitute a D series Dodge truck upper control arm snubber if the distance isn't too great, as they are taller than the stock rubber piece. Replacement snubbers for Lakewood traction bars work too. Usually these can be bought used at any swap meet cheap, just like greasy two barrel Chevy small block intakes!:toothy10: Keep the snubbers, throw the bars in the trunk for weight....
You are off to a real good start, both on the car and your marriage, here's wishing the best of luck to you on both!
Alan

I know that this forum is a long one, with several pages, so I thought I would bring you up to date...

1. The exhaust on it is 3" mandrel Bent tubes. I didn't want the X pipe because I like the sound of the exhaust without it. i like how it pulses more, and because I am not makeing a race car, I don't see it of being any use.

2. The brand new Aluminum rad I bought has kept the engine nice and cool. the temp gage hasn't gone over 185 once! I don't think I will need a shroud, and I don't like the look of them, so i would like to stay away from them. hope I can, no problems yet.

3. My T bars are brand new performance ones, I posted the part number on here, and was told they were Big block ones. and if your buddie has any probles with 4 spd stuff, I highly recomend Brewers performance.

4. I don't know what Caltrack bars are, sounds like something for the track. If so, I don't think I need them, But I would like to know what they are/do?

5. My springs have been re located inwards, and have brand new leaf springs on the back, I think they are SS springs, but I could be wrong, I think I have the part # some where. These where installed on the car just prior to me buying it.

I'm really not interested in makeing this a Race car. More like what a 1970 duster would have looked like if it came stock with a 440 4 spd. I don't like the look of roll cages, or a race car look, on a car that doesn't really see the track. Don't get me wrong, this car gets up and goes like a bat out of hell. It just seams fine to me the way it is.

But...

If I am looking into getting better launch, or suspension upgrades, it sure sounds like you know your stuff.

Phil

PS.

Alan

Thanks

I know that this forum is a long one, with several pages, so I thought I would bring you up to date...

1. The exhaust on it is 3" mandrel Bent tubes. I didn't want the X pipe because I like the sound of the exhaust without it. i like how it pulses more, and because I am not makeing a race car, I don't see it of being any use.

2. The brand new Aluminum rad I bought has kept the engine nice and cool. the temp gage hasn't gone over 185 once! I don't think I will need a shroud, and I don't like the look of them, so i would like to stay away from them. hope I can, no problems yet.

3. My T bars are brand new performance ones, I posted the part number on here, and was told they were Big block ones. and if your buddie has any probles with 4 spd stuff, I highly recomend Brewers performance.

4. I don't know what Caltrack bars are, sounds like something for the track. If so, I don't think I need them, But I would like to know what they are/do?

5. My springs have been re located inwards, and have brand new leaf springs on the back, I think they are SS springs, but I could be wrong, I think I have the part # some where. These where installed on the car just prior to me buying it.

I'm really not interested in makeing this a Race car. More like what a 1970 duster would have looked like if it came stock with a 440 4 spd. I don't like the look of roll cages, or a race car look, on a car that doesn't really see the track. Don't get me wrong, this car gets up and goes like a bat out of hell. It just seams fine to me the way it is.

But...

If I am looking into getting better launch, or suspension upgrades, it sure sounds like you know your stuff.

Phil

PS. check this out. an older brother to my car is on Ebay (almost an exact twin). If it really sells for that much, what would mine be worth?!?!?!?!? some people are on glue.
Smaller engine, not the best year..auto..? over $14,000
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Plymouth-Duster-...oryZ6410QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

well its been almost 4 years since i have done any work to this car. the headliner has split at the seams so I will be replacing it.

I have ordered it and will wait for it to come in, and then get started.

I also have a go wing that i might put onto this beast. allways liked the looks of them. anyone have the brackets that go on the underside of the trunk for the go wing?

i will post pics of the headliner install. i have a post started under interiors asking for advice. this will be my first headliner install.

I am also planning on getting my rims re done. hope to have everything ready for a car show on fathersday. my second child is due in a coule weeks. I took my daughter to the car show for the last two years, gota keep up the family tradition.

phil

P.S. anyone have a shark tooth grill that they are willing to sell??????:grin::grin:

-
Back