1970 Duster project in Sweden

-
I'm glad you posted up a thread about your incremental graduations-the car is awesome man. I recall seeing one of your idling videos on YouTube about a year ago and my immediate first thought was why a 273 in a '70 Duster? But I brushed it off only a moment later and figured it was all about availability...I didn't know you lived in Sweden, but that makes complete sense. Ever since being on this site and seeing all the non-Americans who build up American iron, I've been fascinated by the lengths some of you guys will go to have a cool old musclecar, especially when it comes to cost of parts acquisition. I guess it just goes to show grown men are the same everywhere...we never grow out of our toys.

In any case, happy tuning! That carb should be nigh on perfect for a warmed over 273 in your application when you get it all dialed in. Please keep the pics and videos coming!

I'm glad you posted up a thread about your incremental graduations-the car is awesome man. I recall seeing one of your idling videos on YouTube about a year ago and my immediate first thought was why a 273 in a '70 Duster? But I brushed it off only a moment later and figured it was all about availability...I didn't know you lived in Sweden, but that makes complete sense. Ever since being on this site and seeing all the non-Americans who build up American iron, I've been fascinated by the lengths some of you guys will go to have a cool old musclecar, especially when it comes to cost of parts acquisition. I guess it just goes to show grown men are the same everywhere...we never grow out of our toys.

In any case, happy tuning! That carb should be nigh on perfect for a warmed over 273 in your application when you get it all dialed in. Please keep the pics and videos coming!

It's all about availability of course. I'm the first to admit I would be thrilled to get my hands on a 340. I don't afford it at this point though. I like the camaraderie around the whole hobby, one of the reasons you go on working on these cars is you share the interest with friends. There's always a helping hand when you need one and I'm always willing to help someone else out when I can. Thanks for the kind words!

Great thread!!!
Thanks!

Got some small things done today. Changed out the vacum spring to the softer yellow one in the Holley. Also installed new return springs. Could not drive it though, the weather is to bad over here.

View attachment IMG_4401.jpg

View attachment IMG_4415.jpg

Im arranging my plug wires, it seems no matter how I do it something is crossing something or ending up to close to the headers on the drivers side. Also seems my plugwire holder is a tad to big for my wires cause they tend to slide in it. Any tips, I think I saw some one doing it with zip ties. How do you do that?

View attachment IMG_4417.jpg

It's been nice weather here for a few days so I had a chance to go for a real test drive with the new Holley. I must say I'm really pleased with it. Still only really done a rough tuning and changed to a softer spring for the secondaries. But the response is really crisp and it is already a nice improvement from the Edelbrock 1405 I had on before. Im looking forward driving this thing more this summer :cheers:

Got some small things done today. Changed out the vacum spring to the softer yellow one in the Holley. Also installed new return springs. Could not drive it though, the weather is to bad over here.

View attachment 1714700719

View attachment 1714700720

Im arranging my plug wires, it seems no matter how I do it something is crossing something or ending up to close to the headers on the drivers side. Also seems my plugwire holder is a tad to big for my wires cause they tend to slide in it. Any tips, I think I saw some one doing it with zip ties. How do you do that?

View attachment 1714700721
maxresdefault.jpg

Done this ,for years. So much better,than dealing with overpriced aftermarket doodads.

Thanks for the compliments! Been out driving all day today. A bit cold out, but the sky was blue and the sun shined. Took it out on small roads, man after a winter it is such a nice feeling getting to drive it again.

I noticed I do have a slight hesitation on the holley. If I hammer it it will take of fine, so it's not there initially, it kinda feels like the hesitation is just around when the secondaries are about to open. Only for a very, very short period and it's not bad, but it's there and I wanna tune it away. Any suggestions. The only thing I have done so far is to switch to the softer yellow spring and richened it a little bit on the idle mixture screws to get it to idle nice around 800 rpm in neutral.

Was it originally ordered from overseas? I see the KPH speedo.

Was it originally ordered from overseas? I see the KPH speedo.

No, it was bought by a Swede in the US who worked there, and then he brought it with him back to Sweden. So either he or someone of the previous owners had it changed.

Any suggestions: I noticed I do have a slight hesitation on the holley. If I hammer it it will take of fine, so it's not there initially, it kinda feels like the hesitation is just around when the secondaries are about to open. Only for a very, very short period and it's not bad, but it's there and I wanna tune it away. Any suggestions. The only thing I have done so far is to switch to the softer yellow spring and richened it a little bit on the idle mixture screws to get it to idle nice around 800 rpm in neutral.

try backing the idle screws out a little (1/8th of a turn) might be too lean on the idle circuit and causing a bog while transferring to the main circuit.

try backing the idle screws out a little (1/8th of a turn) might be too lean on the idle circuit and causing a bog while transferring to the main circuit.

Yepp, this solved it! Thanks. Only a quarter of a turn.

Dont worry Snake, Im sure you will be pleased, but they will need a little tune for every setup I suppose.

Onto another thing. I have a slight vibration in the steering wheel when I break to stop. I was gonna instal new break shoes on the rear so I pulled the drums up front at the same time. The shoes dont look that bad up front, the primary shoes are a bit more worn. Should I swap them? Do you think the vibration comes from the breaks or something else? I passed inspection last time, only had to swap the idler arm that the header had killed. So there is no play in the steering linkage that I know of.

Pictures:
View attachment IMG_4453.jpg
View attachment IMG_4451.jpg

I also used the zip tie trick to organize my plug wires. Neat trick.

View attachment IMG_4442.jpg

Bump. Could use some advice on the subject below here.

Onto another thing. I have a slight vibration in the steering wheel when I break to stop. I was gonna instal new break shoes on the rear so I pulled the drums up front at the same time. The shoes dont look that bad up front, the primary shoes are a bit more worn. Should I swap them? Do you think the vibration comes from the breaks or something else? I passed inspection last time, only had to swap the idler arm that the header had killed. So there is no play in the steering linkage that I know of.

Pictures:
View attachment 1714706912
View attachment 1714706913

-
Back