1970 Duster project in Sweden

-
Got new break shoes for all four wheels, installed it today and tada! The vibration is gone!

Just a small update. I got a new turn signal switch and harness, the old one was really worn out. A nice little project to do on a saturday night. The hazzard button was to wide to fit so I made one from this skull I had that the previous owner had as knobs for the door locks :)

I'm waiting for a some parts to arrive, I got a new distributor and a Pertronix II ignitor with it. Also new plugs and Taylor wires. I also ordered a spring kit for my Holley Street Avenger.

Attachments

• IMG_4597.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_4600.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 473
nice ride.....if ya ever consider puttin' a Hemi in that clean lil' Duster....lets just say, I know a guy.

Mopar to ya'
Denny

nice ride.....if ya ever consider puttin' a Hemi in that clean lil' Duster....lets just say, I know a guy.

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Thanks Denny! I'm dreaming of putting a 340 in it. The prices is Sweden is what's stoping me at this point. The most recent for sale add I saw of a 340 was 4500usd, and it needed everything. Thats how bad it is. I dont think I could ever afford a Hemi, and they so unusual over here too. Love your work, I spent quite some time reading through your build threads :)

Now that's clever-I dig the skull

Thanks, I kind of like it to :)

Was it originally ordered from overseas? I see the KPH speedo.

No, it was bought by a Swede in the US who worked there, and then he brought it with him back to Sweden. So either he or someone of the previous owners had it changed.

I obtained a KPH speedometer for a 65 Valiant/Barracuda from someone in Sweden or Finland and had it rebuiilt. It is going in my 65 Barracuda which is eventually going to my oldest son who lives in the Netherlands.

I obtained a KPH speedometer for a 65 Valiant/Barracuda from someone in Sweden or Finland and had it rebuiilt. It is going in my 65 Barracuda which is eventually going to my oldest son who lives in the Netherlands.

Thats nice that you we're able to obtain one. The Valiant was used by the Police here in Sweden in the 60's I believe it was. So they are fairly common here, well nothing is really common, but compared.

I suppose he could have converted MPH into KPH but I thought it would be easier if the speed was what he is used to

Today I got my new PerTronix Ignitor II Distributor and a spring kit from Holley for the carb.

Distributor, new plugs & new Taylor plugwires.
View attachment 1.jpg

It's a bigger then previous one, at first I was wondering if it was room for it, but it was no problem.
View attachment 2.jpg
View attachment ignitor2_billet_example.jpg

I had the Pertonix Ignitor in my old one
View attachment 4.jpg

I indexed the plugs while I was at it.
View attachment 5.jpg

And here it is installed!
View attachment 6.jpg

When I took my old distributor of I had the rotor pointing towards cyl 1. When I installed the new one it would not point to cyl 1. I know it dont matter, as long as I have the rotor pointing at tower 1 etc. But I went ahead and moved that kogg under the the dist, I dont know the name of it in english. I just wanted it nice and neat haha. So everything aligned up nice and neat after that. I installed and arranged the plug wires and started it up. Had some missfire so I went over the plug wires and sure enough I had 2 wires mixed up. Started it up again and it went smooth. I did not have a timing gun tonight so I set it roughly by ear just so I could take it for a short testdrive. It seems really peppy and has great response. Looking forward to fine tune everything and try out different springs etc.

I also changed oil and filter while I was at it.

While I was working on the car my graphic agency worked on a new t shirt design for an upcoming tour with my band. You like it?
View attachment IMG_4620.jpg

Sweet-my brother bought one of the Pertronix units from a member on here a couple months ago...hasn't installed it yet, but he's probably going to adjust the curve on it before dropping it in. It's going in a 340 with about 10.4:1 calculated CR, so he'll keep the total timing a little more conservative...probably about 32* @ 3200 unless it wants more and doesn't ping.

Started taking down the tranny today to swap converter. I bought a 10" Turbo Action (17805SMED). Taking down the tranny at the place where I have my car stored is not that much fun. It's not a lot of space to work at all so that makes everything a lot harder than it has to be. But I've done it before, it just takes more time.

Attachments

• 10485437_10152520310243554_312051899_n.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 387
Very nice looking duster. Keep the pics coming.

You´r welcome bro to best place ever FABO

at the moment i stay 8 days at Västeras and at tuesday next week i will stay at stockholm !

Uli

Very nice looking duster. Keep the pics coming.

You´r welcome bro to best place ever FABO

at the moment i stay 8 days at Västeras and at tuesday next week i will stay at stockholm !

Uli

Thanks Uli. I cant make it to Power meet this year. I hope you will have a good time in Västerås!

Took the tranny down today. Now I'm just waiting for the new converter to arrive :glasses7:

Attachments

• IMG_4703.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 310
LOL. I don't know you you folks "over there" get anything done, what with taxes, shipping and long waits for shipping. Looking great.

LOL. I don't know you you folks "over there" get anything done, what with taxes, shipping and long waits for shipping. Looking great.

Thanks! Parts arrive pretty fast actually. But shipping and taxes, yes, it gets expensive. American cars is big in Sweden so we do have good parts stores over here as well. I always try to buy from local stores in first hand, to support but many times I have to buy from Summit etc.

The transmission is in place again with the new converter. It is no cakewalk doing this type of thing on your own in a really tight space. My arms ache. Oh well. Now I just have to get all the linkages and stuff set up again. I was just to tired to continue today. I have noticed that when I get to tired I start doing things wrong so I rather step away and continue after a break or another day.

Everything is put back together and I took it to the beach today. It seems that this Turbo Action converter works very well for my combo. I'm pleased so far. I got good help from the Turbo Action guys choosing it. Im helping a friend with his Hemi today and I'll see if I cant get some more tuning done to my Duster at the same time. :burnout:

Yesterday a friend helped me to weld a bung for a wideband air fuel ratio gauge (Innovative LM-1). Then we took of my Holley to get a view of the transitions slots, and yes, I was to much into them. So we corrected that and started tuning the idle mixture until we had a satisfactory reading. The transition from idle is now crisp and nice. We took it out with the gauge hooked up, this is the results:
Idle: Perfect
Full throttle: Perfect
Cruising: maybe a little on the rich side
It does however get rich every time I give it gas, so It gets to much fuel from the accelerator pump shot.

Im thinking of going down in size from my 31 nozzle to a 28 (Holley recommends 3 sizes when you make a change), and also going down to 63 on my now 65 primary Jets. Does this sound like a good plan?

Attachments

• LM1_Kit_3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 260
It's been ages since I worked on the car now. I think I lost the spirit there for a while, I guess it happens. Anyway, spring is approaching and the spirit is back :) I sold my Street Avenger carb and got me this Street Demon 625. I've just started it up so far. Looking forward taking it for a testdrive and tuning.

Attachments

• IMG_5196.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 237
I finally had the time to take it for a testdrive. So just out of the box the Street Demon has better throttle respons then my old Edelbrock and Holley Street Avenger. I do have a stumble at wot so I'm gonna be doing some tuning asap. Overall it's very nice to streetdrive with the Demon. Took a couple of pictures :)

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_5270_1024.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 200
  • thumb_IMG_5313_1024.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 197
  • thumb_IMG_5331_1024.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 212
-
Back