1970 Plymouth Duster 340

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is nice but not what I expected in the quality of the build. Also it does have alot of wrong parts as issues that should be stated. and also the wrong placement of emblems and sall parts. Nice car just not as described.

Bright exhaust tips were not offered on 1970 Duster 340s...exhaust pipe end turndowns were what the 1970 340 Dusters car came from the factory with.

The rear wing is incorrect - what is installed on that car is not a factory 1970 Go Wing.

There are many other things about that car that would noy be factory correct and most have already been pointed out.

IMHO There are MANY factory correct and/or slightly modified factory 340 Abodies that are better than this car, and for LESS money, at this time ...

I'm late to to this one; but I still have my bought new 70 Duster. Not stock anymore.
clutch pedal low
left parking brake cable too long, they dented the muffler (napa has correct)
never seen those tail light covers
mine has 2 horns
ballast resister looks funky
mine has valiant and v8 emblems on front.

concours?????? nice try

are you talking about the covers over the light in the truck?????if so my 70 duster came with them...nice car but man thats a lot of cash...:banghead:

Yes sir I am talking about the back side of tail light covers.... wow I just looked sold for 28 g's nice car

Someone paid $28 BIG ONES and it sold! I find it funny that he stated if it didn't sell for the buy it now price of $30k he would let the auction continue.
I guess he took the money and ran!

Nice car, but I have never seen over-spray on a trunk jack on any Mopar that I have owned.

not just that..but mine has undercoating in the trunk on the sides of the inside quarters...this car looked like they painted over the undercoating...hmm so they undercoated the cars..then painted...correct me if im wrong saying BS on this one...but he did sell it...

a good deal is one where the buyer and seller are both happy....

reminds me of.......... years ago, in the motorcycle business, there was a sayin'.....
"there is an a$$ for every seat"

not just that..but mine has undercoating in the trunk on the sides of the inside quarters...this car looked like they painted over the undercoating...hmm so they undercoated the cars..then painted...correct me if im wrong saying BS on this one...but he did sell it...

That's exactly what they did............

100_2916-1.jpg

Wow you guys are mean ! Just kidding really, but the funny thing is I saw this car on Ebay too and also had some reservations about it. Just my 2-cents on some stuff, mostly just yapping here, and all these comments answered a lot of questions I've had and I learned some new stuff that will help with my '70 Duster 340 "concourse" restoration. (I use the term loosely)

I guess now I know that my car did not come with the chrome exhaust tips. Cool that'll save me a little cash.
The painted undercoating in the trunk is "correct", at least it's exactly what my car had as well (my car was a mess but was completely original and unmolested).
I concur on the Valiant emblem along with the Duster 340 tape, however mine also has the cool "V8" nameplate on the fenders.
I also always wondered about the taillight cover things. Mine did not have then but I've seen many 70's listed that do.
Mine is a Hamtranck N95 car and it also has the vent tube thing in the trunk. Thanks for letting me know about the 2-hose breather...didn't know that (mine was missing all of the top-end motor stuff when I got it).
I didn't know about the orange-painted bypass hose. learned another good thing.
What's wrong with the trim-rings? My guess is they should be "flatter" and satin? Is that what I should look for for mine ?
Also I think I'm correct in noticing what I think is a wildly incorrect undercoating beneath the car. My understanding is that it should be primer with yellow overspray. This appears to be all black undercoat.

And now for my editorial...Like someone else said, if the buyer and the seller are both happy then good for them both. Seeing the ad for this car made me even prouder that I decided to tackle my project myself instead of buying a turn-key car. No offense to the professional restorers or their customers at all but IMO there's no better feeling than doing something yourself. Plus, in most cases with my project I was displeased with the service and results that I got with stuff that I absolutely HAD to sub-out. It seems this guy paid a pro restorer 65k or something to do this car. We in the FABO community feel that the seller misrepresented some stuff about the car. Maybe it was the restorer who led the seller astray by assuring him that the car was done "correctly" and that's why the ad was listed that way. Maybe the buyer didn't do his research and got a car he thought was identical to when it rolled off the assembly line. Maybe he just loves the car and could care less if it's correct or not. We don't know.
I do know that I will never do a "correct" restoration again. I don't regret it at all but I now know just how time-consuming it all is to do the research (which 9/10 of the time proves inconclusive anyhow) then to have to try to reproduce all of the markings and stuff that you learned about in the research, only to be nit-picked and challenged about things that probably cannot be proven anyhow.
As for me, I'm gonna do the best I can to do my Duster "correctly" but only to the extent that makes me happy, since in the end it's MY CAR. For example I love that I still have the thumbwheel AM radio in the dash but If someone wants to bash me for putting a pair of 6x9's beneath a "factory" package shelf and mounting an unseen power amp under the seat so that I can crank some tunes from my ipod then "oh well". I really don't care. Another thing we need to remember is that we at FABO are a unique community. "Normal" people don't know about things like the above-mentioned undercoating scheme. Almost everyone who decides to peer underneath my car at a local show will think "what the heck is this guy thinking with the overspray everywhere". We know that maybe it's supposed to be that way but most folks don't.
I don't really have a point to make here, I just wanted to sound-off and hopefully stimulate some more conversation from other readers. I for one could not be happier that this car sold high since I know mine is gonna be even nicer. Mine was never intended to be a financial investment however, rather an investment in future satisfaction, notoriety, and FUN for me.
Thanks for listening. You can learn more about my project at http://www.MitchAmatrudo.com/duster.htm

See what I mean ??? (LOL) Heck, I didn't even know how to spell Hamtramck.
Actually that'd be cool if the tips are supposed to be there cuz I like them. In fact that was another thing I was gonna prolly add even if not correct.
So 70 Hamtramck's with N95 had 'em ?? Thanks !

This Duster has been on Ebay before and was bid up to close to the same amount. Maybe it sold, maybe it didn't at $28. Its nice and restored well, but not to a concourse level. I wouldn't be surprised to see it back on ebay again soon.

You are right. They did have an Valiant emblem. Here are pics of my unrestored 1970 Duster H code.

Attachments

• 1970 Plymouth 340 Duster 001 (Small).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 400
  • 1970 Plymouth 340 Duster 002 (Small).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 419
The Duster emblem would not be correct for 70-72 cars....that emblem first showed up in 73.........70 had a (decal) which was "Duster 340" along with the valiant emblem.....of course the valiant name was dropped with the introduction of the 71 models.....D

See what I mean ??? (LOL) Heck, I didn't even know how to spell Hamtramck.
Actually that'd be cool if the tips are supposed to be there cuz I like them. In fact that was another thing I was gonna prolly add even if not correct.
So 70 Hamtramck's with N95 had 'em ?? Thanks !

Look for sales code "N42" ; if it's there , then the tips were on there originally . If you just see an "N41" , then no tips .

N95 + N42 = wasn't sold new in Los Angeles or Orange counties due to noise-reduction laws ; nothing to do with emissions , period .

Look for sales code "N42" ; if it's there , then the tips were on there originally . If you just see an "N41" , then no tips .

N95 + N42 = wasn't sold new in Los Angeles or Orange counties due to noise-reduction laws ; nothing to do with emissions , period .

ALL factory model year 1970 Plymouth Duster 340s DID NOT COME FROM THE FACTORY, nor where they OFFERED as a factory option with bright or chrome factory exhaust tips.

All factory 1970 Plymouth Duster 340s had dual turndown exhaust at the rear bumper - my older brother was a salesman in 1970 at Bob Banning Chrysler Plymouth Dodge - the actual sales brochures with the entire Duster sales guide used by all dealerships is available online

I purchased a brand new 1970 Duster 340 in B7 in spring 1970, special factory order car, that I sold in 1973 to pay my college expenses. I waited 12 weeks for Plymouth to build and ship the car -as a special factory order. No exhaust tips available.

It was common however, for many Duster 340 owners, to go to the Plymouth parts counter in 1971 or later years and to add the bright tips. I had the same idea but I had to sell my car to make my college tuition.

So Starting in 1971 the Duster 340s offfered the bright exhaust tips from the factory and many 1970 cars added these around that time for cosmetic reasons.

Check out the www.hamtramck-historical.com website (go to the HOME page and start there) for the actual authentic sales brochures on 1970 Duster 340s. The actual factory and dealerships sales guides from Chrysler are there.

See this link: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/SalesmansPocketGuides/1970/Pg 037.jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1970PlymouthDealershipDataBook-05.shtml

1970 Plymouth Duster 340 shown and noted with CONCEALED exhaust tips:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipDataBook/1970/70_Valiant_Duster0016.jpg

VS29H1B - This has been my contention for years ; yet , so many people insist that their 1970 Duster 340 had bright exhaust tips from the factory .
I figured that by mentioning the "N41" vs "N42" sales codes , that that would *simply* put the whole debacle to a rest .

In all of my years of poking around the local self-service wrecking yards , not once did I see a 1970 Duster 340 with the tips ; and , come to think of it , I never saw a single 1971 model with them either (but living in Southern California's Los Angeles area , I'm *not* surprised at the lack of N42-equipped 340 Dusters / Demons).

Same thing goes for the coveted 'E' Bodies . I don't know how many times I've seen tips added to a 'Cuda or Challenger that didn't have them originally (personally , I prefer the turn-down exit as it's more stealth !). Matter of fact , it was an absolute treat to see a 1970 'Cuda 440 Six Barrel , triple black , N95 , restored *properly*
(read: turn-down exhaust ! ). As an added bonus , it had its original deluxe wheel covers :prayer:.

If someone wants to add the tips , then go ahead and knock yourself out . Just don't call your car "100% factory restored" or "original".

Thanks for posting links to Hamtramck Historical's site . Barry Washington has an incredible site ; love the TSB's , factory-to-dealer info , etc. , etc.
First class business :glasses7:

My 71 Duster 340 was built at the LA plant and was sold new in San Diego. It came with tips and is was coded for it on the fender tag.

It appears the 70 340 Duster being discussed on here is coded for them on the tag (hard to read though). Which makes you wonder if the tag is legit, or is the code legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back