1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed

-
Sorry about your dog. I love my little dog he go's every where with me I would be lost with out him. I hope it get better for you man!!

Thanks guys! It was really hard losing her.. She was a mini schnauzer and had a lot of complications (I blame the breeder and will be contacting the CKC registry in hopes they lose there license and can't breed anymore puppies) she started getting sick at 1 and went thru two surgarys for bladder stones and kidney stones (a lot of $$) she died of renal kidney failure.. We tried everything we could. The house is definitely a lot quieter without her around.

I did manage to work on my car these past couple days and got the roof done. I fixed the rain gutter rust damage and it went a lot easier than I expected. I also roughed in the lead seam areas with all metal and finished getting the seam sealer out of the rain gutters.. That was a nightmare and required the torch and an o ring pick. I am going to use fusor two part self leveling seam sealer in the rain gutters since I heard good reviews about it. I also cleaned the front and rear window channels out and stripped the remaining original hemi orange paint.

This weekend I plan on cleaning the garage, pushing the car out to blow it off and then do the little rust repair at the rear crossmember and then get ready to mount it on the rotisserie. I bought some metal to make some mounts for the rotisserie, so hopefully I can get that done this weekend too.

Here's the last rust repair finished before it goes up on the rotisserie! Tomorrow and this week I'll make the mounts for it to attach to the rotisserie and this weekend it'll be up on it. I still have to remove the rear axle/leaf springs but I'll wait till its attached to the rotisserie before I remove it so I can use it as a jacking point for the rear. For the front I'm going to build off the dollies and make the attaching points off of them since this rotisserie doesn't lower..

I pulled the rear end out today and that was not fun! Atleast that was the last of the rusty bolts to deal with.. I also made up some rear wheel dollies. Tomorrow I'll make the rotisserie mounts.

I got the wheel dollies done and started on the rotisserie mounts. Tomorrow I'll build the rear rotisserie mounts and the next day I'll do the front ones. I'm excited to get it up on the rotisserie!

Started on the rear rotisserie mounts.

I have to weld up the trailer hitch holes in the spare tire area and do some hammer and dolly work in that area as well.. I also have to repair the rear valance mount but that'll get done once it's up on the rotisserie since I don't like working upside down. There isn't to much work to do on the bottom side so it should be quick! Then it'll come off the rotisserie for bodywork and paint.

It's amazing how rusty this car was and the trunk pan and rear rails are good! I guess it's from the rear window and trunk not leaking.

Great job! This going to be an above the bar car when your done. I can really apreciate the time and talent it takes to do a car like yours. AWSOME!!!!:prayer:

Great job! This going to be an above the bar car when your done. I can really apreciate the time and talent it takes to do a car like yours. AWSOME!!!!:prayer:

Thanks!! It's been quite an undertaking, but it's getting closer to the bodywork stage finally!

I got it up in the rotisserie today! Now the fun begins with some rust repair in the front spring perches, some spot blasting, epoxy and U-pol Bed liner.

That is awesome work!

Damn I love this resto

Thanks guys!

It has snowballed into another bigger project than anticipated... I am going to do complete rear rails. I already have them from Lee Robinson (the guy I got the Clip from) I knew the front shackle mounts were a little rusty, but after removing them I found some more rust in the rails, so I am just gonna go ahead and replace them.

This is also my change of plans.. I was gonna undercoat the car but now I'm going to do it like this for a factory look.

Grey resto Rick sealer, orange overspray and resto Rick undercoating in the wheel wells.

I have thought about patching the rear rails, but I got complete mint ones, so what's a few hundred more spotwelds at this point? Plus I was worried about cleaning the inside rear rails out and this eliminates the problem since I'll get the California ones dipped and epoxied.

To bad about the back rails Randy, but I think your right at this stage you've got good ones just go ahead and change them out, you're make really good progress anyway. I'm leaning heavily to going the overspray route on the bottom as well, it just looks right to me. Must have just missed you at the Swap Meet in Stoney but you got to meet Kevin (scatpacker), they don't come any better!
Danny

Attachments

• 7BEB8C10-0BD3-41F0-B204-510C101CAA36_zpsboecucij.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 597
To bad about the back rails Randy, but I think your right at this stage you've got good ones just go ahead and change them out, you're make really good progress anyway. I'm leaning heavily to going the overspray route on the bottom as well, it just looks right to me. Must have just missed you at the Swap Meet in Stoney but you got to meet Kevin (scatpacker), they don't come any better!
Danny

Yeah it kinda sucks doing complete rails, but it will save time in the long run since I can get everything spotless now inside the rails. My plan is to put the car vertical and replace the rail at the bottom (I will add some support from the rotisserie to the rocker. If I do it this way nothing can move, especially only doing one rail at a time.

I spent the entire day with a torch and scraper removing all the undercoat off the California rails, so tomorrow I'll drop them off to get dipped/blasted and this week I'll work on removing the rail and sandblasting the trunk pan/rear seat pan area behind the rail.

Yeah I just missed you and Rod. Kevin was nice to talk to and has a lot of info about these cars!

I was all set on undercoating my car as well, but I like the factory look over completely painted or indercoated now that I've seen that pic.

Here is the extent of the rust damage at the spring perches.. The rails seem solid everywhere else, but this will be good insurance for anything haunting me down the road.

Ready for the blaster!

My girlfriend also had me an awesome cake made for my birthday!

Well in that case--HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (or happy belated)

Thanks!

Well I cut I window in the frame rail to see what I'm dealing with and now I'm glad I'm swapping the rails out! My Blair spotwelds cutters are all dull, so I have to pickup another set tomorrow so I can continue on. I think I've gone thru about 20 cutters on this build so far and they aren't cheap!! There is around 70 spot welds holding the rail on so it shouldn't take to long to remove.. I am not going to drill thru the rear seat pan and trunk pan so it retains the original spotweld markings.. When it comes time to weld the rails on I'll weld them on from the bottom side and offset the welds from the original spotweld markings on the pan.. It's a lot of work but makes an invisible repair.

I dropped my rails off at the dipper today so I should have them by Friday. Well I'm at it I'm also going to replace the rear crossmember with an AMD piece.. I patched it in a spot, but it's pretty pitted and I want to clean the trunk pan in behind it so what's another 50 spot welds at this point!

I also started a thread regarding the underside of the car.. Which colour sealer was applied underneath, since mine appears to be black.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=315539

I didn't accomplish much tonight because I fought with removing the dual exhaust bracket.. It took some heat and a bunch of PB blaster to get the nuts off without busting the studs. I will sandblast the brackets as well as the rear torque box tomorrow and continue on with removing the rear rail. I like how the rear rails have a locating bolt on them, which will put it back in the exact position. I will add additional locating tabs near the rear of the rail to help with assembly. I am also in the process of making a jig off the rotisserie cross beam to help hold the rail tight, I'll be using my truck jack again for this jig.

Dang Randy, Those are clean. Just like new.

Yeah I couldn't have got any better ones! I got them from Lee Robinson (when I got my front clip from him) I got them just in case I found more surprises and Sure enough I found some.. This was one rusty Swinger!

I got them dipped and blasted at RMC industries here in Edmonton. They've done all my panels and they do excellent work, very nice guys too!

Epoxied inside and out.. Should never have rust problems again on this car. I have to get a new dead man for my pressure pot blaster so I can sandblast the back half again, since there are a bunch of missed spots I have to do and I behind the old rails.

Added a brace to the B pillar from the rotisserie cross beam for extra insurance.

99% of the old rail is off with no extra surprises!

It was quite the battle finding spot welds around the front shackle box.. Rust scale was hiding them.

Last chunk left.

Here is the scale in the rails.. Good thing I did them! This is below the trunk pan.

Tomorrow I'll finish removing the last chunk of the rail and then I'll grind the spot welds down and tack a couple holes up where I tore the plug welds accidentally. Then I'll sandblast and prep the new rail so I can weld it in!

Got to meet Randy yesterday and check out his amazing project. Fine young man who's going to have something to be extremely proud of when he gets her all finished. Thanks again for lending me your template, I'm going to try and get some pictures of the underside prime color and post on your other thread. Remember your welcome to drop out and check out mine anytime you like, Danny.

Thanks Danny! It was nice meeting you and I'll definitely come check out your car, maybe this weekend if your around. Do you think you'd be able to get a close colour match from the remaining primer under your car?

First test fit.. Fits perfect, which is the bonus for using original metal. This week I'll setup for sandblasting and get it blasted.

Do you think you'd be able to get a close colour match from the remaining primer under your car?

I should be around next weekend Randy, I think you have my cell no. now so feel free to call or text me. I took another look at the primer underneath Randy and the area at the back that was grey turns out to be over spray primer from when they did the spot repair at the back. I need to clean some areas that where disturbed the least like above the gas tank but I'm now leaning toward a very dark grey or maybe black primer, what I'm seeing is pretty dark. Needs some more investigation with some bright light under there. Danny

-
Back