1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed

-
Ouch! Well, at least it's gonna be all fixed up now.

Yeah! That MP pinion snubber will never be going back on my car!

Wow Randy, when this is done can you say the words "never for sale!"

Yeah this car is going to be a keeper, that's for sure!

Randy I building a pile. Granted its quite puny compared to yours, THANK GOD! LOL!

IMG_2173_zps6flbei0y.jpg

Danny

Haha I'm sure you'll get a pile by the time you're done! My pile is starting to take a lot of room on my garage, so I'm gonna have to clean it out..

I started welding in the rear crossmember but haven't got a chance to finish it up this weekend since I helped my Dad with his car. Tomorrow I'll finish up welding it in.

On the way to help my dad I got stuck in another hail storm and my truck got pelted again!!

Never made it in time to fit completely under the overpass. This time I'm just gonna leave it and get a titleist golf ball sticker for my truck.

All welded up!

I just need to straighten this bracket up, sandblast it and drill/re tap the holes and weld it on.. Then I'm officially done with welding!!

I also borrowed my dads stud spotter to pull some dents on the bottom of the car.. This will speed things up!

I am officially done welding on this car! :cheers: four spools of wire, almost two tanks of gas and who knows how many hours, but it's ready for the bodywork stage now!! Over the next couple weeks I'll do the bodywork on the bottom side and get it painted.. I'll also paint the bottom side of the roof and then it can come off the rotisserie finally. I will do a final panel fitment and then I have to take a break from it for about three months to do the flooring in the house. Over the winter and spring time I'll do bodywork and hopefully by April/may it'll be painted!!

That's a huge milestone Randy, congrats! I was looking at the inside of my roof thinking that I should sound deaden it when that point comes but the stick on pads might come off, I know Eastwood says not to use their product on roofs, so a spray on sound deadener would be the best route then throw some paint at her.

Dude, you are just dog nuts. This is badassary if I ever saw it.

I'd like to hear about how the stud puller works - been thinking about one for a while but I am an novice with body work and don't want to make thing any worse!

Great thread here!

That's a huge milestone Randy, congrats! I was looking at the inside of my roof thinking that I should sound deaden it when that point comes but the stick on pads might come off, I know Eastwood says not to use their product on roofs, so a spray on sound deadener would be the best route then throw some paint at her.

Thanks Danny! I haven't done to much research on sound deadening, I'll look into that spray on sound deadener. I know lots of people use dynamat for the roof and everywhere else. I was thinking of just getting the original style padding that's glued to the roof.

Dude, you are just dog nuts. This is badassary if I ever saw it.

Thanks!!

I'd like to hear about how the stud puller works - been thinking about one for a while but I am an novice with body work and don't want to make thing any worse!

Great thread here!

They really work good! On our old metal it works especially good since you don't risk the chance of tearing holes when pulling on the dent. My dad never uses the slide hammer (either do I) since they end up doing more damage than good. It's best to use a block of wood and side cutters to pull the dents with the studs.

Thanks!

Great job Randy!

Thanks Rod!!

I finally managed to get a full set of NOS wheel covers. I couldn't have got these without the help of Lee Robinson! Thanks Lee. He helped me get three of them, since I had troubles dealing with the business who had them. (Long story) then I tracked down the fourth one and just got it a few days ago. I know I haven't had the best response with putting these on my car, but they're what it came and they'll look awesome IMO!

Those are purdy Randy, Joel helped scout out some new OEM brushed trim rings for me to buy and it nearly cost me my right arm, lol, so I'm sure those were even more. Great find!

Those are purdy Randy, Joel helped scout out some new OEM brushed trim rings for me to buy and it nearly cost me my right arm, lol, so I'm sure those were even more. Great find!

Thanks Danny! You're the one of few who likes them.. I think it'll be cool with the Firestone whitewall wide oval tires to go along with them, that's what my build sheet calls for.

Yeah I bet those were pricey! Your car came with rallyes originally?

This advertisement is pretty much the twin to my car except the vinyl roof.

These will be the tires I buy when it comes time.

Thanks Danny! You're the one of few who likes them.. I think it'll be cool with the Firestone whitewall wide oval tires to go along with them, that's what my build sheet calls for.

This advertisement is pretty much the twin to my car except the vinyl roof.

These will be the tires I buy when it comes time.

Looks familiar

Attachments

• Dart 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 504
  • Dart 2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 468
Nice score on the wheel covers, those will look perfect. I'm currently trying to restore a set for a 68 Charger. NOS would have been the easy way to go. where did you find yours?

Attachments

• 68 charger wheel cover.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 442
Dude, you finally got those wheel covers?? I pinged that guy at least half a dozen times over the course of two months or so and never even received so much as a junk mail reply. At least you got them-awesome!

And calling this a milestone is a bit of an understatement in my opinion--can't wait for the next chapter!

Nice score on the wheel covers, those will look perfect. I'm currently trying to restore a set for a 68 Charger. NOS would have been the easy way to go. where did you find yours?

Thanks! I think they'll look cool on my car. I'll send you a PM for the guy who I got them from.. I don't want to promote his business on my thread since he was a D!ck to me. I checked his site and he has one of those wheel covers.

Dude, you finally got those wheel covers?? I pinged that guy at least half a dozen times over the course of two months or so and never even received so much as a junk mail reply. At least you got them-awesome!

And calling this a milestone is a bit of an understatement in my opinion--can't wait for the next chapter!

Yeah it was a long wait on getting them.. I think he knew you were trying to help me since it was a few weeks after he told me off and I'm sure those wheel covers weren't in high demand so he must of knew.. What an *** he was! Thanks again for trying!

Yeah I'm really excited to start doing the bodywork and paint underneath! I was really getting tired of welding and grinding.. I thought it would never end.

I like the combo, should look great. My car did come with the Rallyes, its hard to see in this old picture from 1973 but when zoomed in on a big screen you can see them with the 72 centre cap.

IMG_0713_zps0s0dff1a.jpg

Those caps are sweet, I have a few NOS ones and 5 NOS center "dodge division" centers that I recently got. One NOS wheel cover doesn't have the center decal cause in 70-71 the challenger used these as well but said "Challenger" in the center.....but recently discovered my 70 340 Swinger came with dog dish caps AND brushed trim rings on white side wall (WSW) tires...very cool and I also have a NOS set of 70 dog dish caps as well....so I'm sure I have to go the correct way......:glasses7:

I like the combo, should look great. My car did come with the Rallyes, its hard to see in this old picture from 1973 but when zoomed in on a big screen you can see them with the 72 centre cap.

IMG_0713_zps0s0dff1a.jpg

That's a cool picture of your car! Is your car small bolt pattern? I like the 70's clothing..

Looks familiar

Very nice car!

Those wheel covers will look awesume. Do you have a set of 14x 5.5" wheels?

I think so! I have three so far with no curb rash.. You've got an extra one you'd part with?

Those caps are sweet, I have a few NOS ones and 5 NOS center "dodge division" centers that I recently got. One NOS wheel cover doesn't have the center decal cause in 70-71 the challenger used these as well but said "Challenger" in the center.....but recently discovered my 70 340 Swinger came with dog dish caps AND brushed trim rings on white side wall (WSW) tires...very cool and I also have a NOS set of 70 dog dish caps as well....so I'm sure I have to go the correct way......:glasses7:

So you've got the stash of wheel covers! No wonder i had a hard time finding these, haha. Would you be willing to part with any covers or decals? One of my wheel covers has a little crease in the decal and Its bugs me..

That's really neat your car came with that combo.. I bet it's one of the only Darts to have the trim rings with dog dish caps.

I sold a really nice set of four a few years ago, too bad. I will ask another dart guy in town as well he might have a pair. Did you ever find a reverse light for the dash? I am planning to go up in my attic tomorrow to find all my sunroof parts, so I can look for one of those too.

So you've got the stash of wheel covers! No wonder i had a hard time finding these, haha. Would you be willing to part with any covers or decals? One of my wheel covers has a little crease in the decal and Its bugs me..

That's really neat your car came with that combo.. I bet it's one of the only Darts to have the trim rings with dog dish caps.

I will have to look at what I have stashed away, I might have a decal to let go but you might have a hard time removing your old one, maybe better to leave it and put that one on the rear LOL

My car is red with the side trim package so its also a stripe delete, another oddity is that it had factory bucket seats and a column shift....only clue its a 340 car are the scoops LOL
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1390

I sold a really nice set of four a few years ago, too bad. I will ask another dart guy in town as well he might have a pair. Did you ever find a reverse light for the dash? I am planning to go up in my attic tomorrow to find all my sunroof parts, so I can look for one of those too.

Damn.. They're hard to come by! Let me know if your friend has any, I guess I need a fifth one for the spare so two would be great! If you find a reverse light I'd definitely buy it! If you come across a 340 air cleaner while you're up there I'd take that off our hands too.. And a rad/shroud, exhaust manifolds, reverse lockout linkage.. Yeah I still need a bunch of parts! Haha.

I will have to look at what I have stashed away, I might have a decal to let go but you might have a hard time removing your old one, maybe better to leave it and put that one on the rear LOL

My car is red with the side trim package so its also a stripe delete, another oddity is that it had factory bucket seats and a column shift....only clue its a 340 car are the scoops LOL
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1390

Ok sounds good! Send me a PM on what you'd want for a decal.. I'd definitely like to get another one. I think with a heat gun it would come off?

Those are defiantly different options. Was it a special order car? My cars only options besides being a 340 car are a four speed, Hemi Orange paint, carpet, sure grip and wheel covers.

Haha, too bad, I have one set of manifolds, one air cleaner, and no reverse lockout linkage. All destined for my 1970 duster. If I ever get my milling machine working I have dreams of making dies to punch out the air inlets on the 70-71 340 air cleaners. Then I could make them out of standard 4bbl air cleaners. But so far just a dream....

-
Back