1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed

-
So much awesome Randy! I feel your pain on the body work-I'm doing some of that fun stuff myself. I need to go buy some HS and poly primers...probably a couple gallons. I bought an Airgunsa AZ3 with a 3.0 tip for the poly primer, haven't used it yet, but I wanted to get the biggest needle I could as I don't want the stuff to kick in the gun-that would really ruin my day.

So much awesome Randy! I feel your pain on the body work-I'm doing some of that fun stuff myself. I need to go buy some HS and poly primers...probably a couple gallons. I bought an Airgunsa AZ3 with a 3.0 tip for the poly primer, haven't used it yet, but I wanted to get the biggest needle I could as I don't want the stuff to kick in the gun-that would really ruin my day.

Thank you! I’m amazed at how many hours this stage of the build can eat up.. it all pays off when the paint hits it’s though! You have a build thread on what your currently working on? I have a 2.3 tip gun and it takes everything it’s got to push that polyester through the gun and works my compressor pretty hard because it’s wide open.. the 3.0 tip should work amazing. My glasurit HS primer on the other hand goes on with a 1.4 tip.. it’s really thin but builds well and flashes super fast between coats. The can is also twice the weight of the polyester which is weird because of how thin it is! I used more than a half a gallon of polyester, half a gallon of filler and half a gallon of HS primer on what I’ve done so far, but I think I’ll use a little less on the other side because I learned some tricks.. Like fitting the extensions before blocking out the sides. I’ve got two gallons of HS primer and I’m hoping I can get the car done with that because I don’t wanna buy a third gallon $$. These Darts are a challenge to get straight because they’re shaped like a garden shed, no curves.

Last edited:
I got the drivers fender extension and valance fitting well (had to weld a crack up and reinforce the valance) now I’ll tackle the rear extension and then start up on the whole side. I used RAGE ultra extra on the car up until now (kicks way to fast for large areas so I had to rush applying it) it sands super easy starting in 80 and is the nicest stuff I’ve used so far.. no pinholes. I did some research and found out they make RAGE ultra extra that has a 40 min work time so I can now take my time applying it, and maybe go a little quicker in the sanding/blocking stage!

A712745F-34EC-4078-BAC4-FB60C72C4075_zps7sctxfpq.jpg

3A0418BD-6A03-4F13-8313-F40CC5B6D348_zpsjokrp6tr.jpg

2AC3963E-BE29-4770-9849-5A7035795F16_zpsc2fwqsxs.jpg

E30892A6-4438-44E8-B693-B75957EBF02E_zps49ij7e6t.jpg

Last edited:
I used to use Rage Gold (and my boss switched to a cheaper lightweight filler, that works similarly) and we'd wait for it to get to what we called the "green stage," where it was not fully hard but was just beyond tacky. Then we'd used 40 or 80 grit to knock down the major issues. Final body work came after it had fully kicked. This was used when building parts for car interiors/custom trunks etc. since I do custom car stereos for a living.

@Hemiorangeswinger nice build lots of work I've been following this thread
Q? did you use the black plastic gasket that goes between extension and fender ?

Thanks! I don’t think there’s a gasket on the 70+ darts? I know the B bodies had them in 67+ The factory just gobbed that dum dum (I’m not sure of the exact name, but it never dries) on the studs.

Didn’t see then in your pics is why I asked
My 70 and 71 dart parts car had them on front and back extensions
Guess it was hit or miss
Thin black plastic 1 - 1-1/2 wide
Thanks for this documentary
Wish I could print it out with only your post and without commentary
Cool reference for my resto
Thanks

Didn’t see then in your pics is why I asked
My 70 and 71 dart parts car had them on front and back extensions
Guess it was hit or miss
Thin black plastic 1 - 1-1/2 wide
Thanks for this documentary
Wish I could print it out with only your post and without commentary
Cool reference for my resto
Thanks

I’ll check my 70 parts car for those gaskets. Do they make them still? I’m glad you’re enjoying it! It’s been a while since I started back up on it.

I got the rear extension fit today as well as the front valance all bolted up (some of the holes were off on the AMD panel where it bolts to the rad support) I also readjusted the front fender and spooned some of the gaps even. Now I’ll sand and skim coat this whole side!

Today was it’s 50th birthday! (Built Sept 22, 1969) with any luck it’ll be done on its 60th, haha

70F6E041-97F9-4067-81DD-9BA24F06BC4B_zpstlaqqwz1.jpg

8B7E4A40-3EB9-4CC5-AB1C-9BB28004E442_zpscymae2yu.jpg

A03603CC-F63E-4C2E-AE86-35F002F6B5E0_zpsrtnfyvhu.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. I hope to spend lots of time on mine this winter. I got 23 working days left.....:lol::rofl:

Thanks! Lucky you! Hopefully you can get a lot accomplished. I am gonna be so glad once this thing is in primer, because I hate sanding body filler!

I experimented with the rage ultra extra and I’m pretty happy with it.. being that it’s cold now it takes way to long to set (below 15*) so I mixed it 50/50 with the rage ultra and it seems to be perfect now (less then an hour to set) gives me lots of time to lay it out evenly which should make it easier to block out. (Different shades of filler colour on the quarter is from experimenting with mixing the two. Ultra extra is yellow and ultra is white) got the main quarter skim coated and added a little fiberglass around the bottom of the door because it was sticking out about an 1/8” in that area. I’ll start blocking the quarter out and then move on to the door/fender.. need to get the filler done before I’m trapped in the garage and can’t open the door!

8A68AD9F-DE61-499E-97F4-933F03C1B8B1_zpsnr8zu4mj.jpg

Got the main part of the quarter blocked out. I’ll try and put it in polyester this weekend. Knocked it down quick with 80 on my 16” durablock to get the knife edge marks off and then switched to 120 on my 24” durablock with guide coat and tape for the lines.. you can see how bad the panels are when you run a 2’ block over them! I finished it out in 180 and that’s good enough for the polyester stage.

I finished off around the bottom of the door tonight (never took a pic) and sanded all my edges. Just need to mask it off as well. Man do I hate sanding!

DA46A1BC-214E-454C-B317-A33455057EEB_zpsw77l78cf.jpg

Masked it tonight and epoxied my bare metal (the polyester says you can go over bare metal, but I just did this for the hell of it) I’ll let it dry 48hrs to make sure it’s fully cured and scuff it, then polyester.

7F887825-8FD5-45F8-921B-0DC2D019A906_zpswaqwbenb.jpg

1EC46133-293A-4F5D-94DE-F53163DA5F4E_zpslxvykkm3.jpg

Awesome work, I betcha can't wait to lay down the colour!
Love the pics, keep 'em coming............

Awesome work, I betcha can't wait to lay down the colour!
Love the pics, keep 'em coming............

Thanks! Yeah it’s still a ways from seeing paint, but it’s slowly getting there.. it’s been in my own paint jail for way to long, haha.

Keep on pushing Randy, your making progress.

Thanks Danny!

When you are done can I send you my 70', it could use some of your'e talent.

Jeff

Haha I like the metal work part of the resto, but this whole sanding thing sucks! It’s all manual labor, your arms get a workout.

Sanded the panels down with 80 on my orbital and skim coated the front half. This week I’ll work on blocking it out and getting my lines all right. It sucks it’s now cold out so I’m trapped in my dusty garage doing this work. This stage just burns through materials too!

84BCE794-E775-4DCC-BE12-25E2DB3F57F5_zps7zupahck.jpg

82565314-B972-4C03-A84A-BC279E2A3D66_zpsottij5h1.jpg

3BE754FC-ACF0-4660-A852-E72BFD2E8D91_zpsywlh0yef.jpg

Keep pushing

I’m slowly making progress!

Blocked out the door/fender tonight and put a coat of polyester on the quarter. Over the weekend I’ll finish up the door and fender and get it in polyester as well.. maybe I’ll have time to block the quarter out for HS primer.

F7D31E10-B5C9-4DC7-99B5-79D1A6B9EF4F_zpsvryaeiep.jpg

C648E6D5-F5C0-46BC-8221-FBF57E825230_zpsvfuhsrya.jpg

Nice and straight now!
E23F3232-3DEC-4225-B63D-7AA05E5FF9DF_zpsp1pxn8j4.jpg

That is going to be one exceptional A body:thumbsup:

Just went back a couple pages and saw the underside......love those 4 speed torque boxes.

Last edited:
Man if I had the money I'd give you an all expense payed trip to come down and do my car, that Dart is going to be AWESOME, Oh and all the Molsen you can drink.

Jeff

-
Back