1970 Swinger Daily Driver

-

Robj

Reaction score
I picked up a '70 318 Swinger to be my daily driver. The original owner was a woman who bought it new in 1970. She drove it until 2001 when she sold it to the guy I bought it from. She was 93 years old at the time. I have a copy of the last registration when she owned. Her first and middle names were Bell Gertrude.

The guy who bought it from her drove it for a year and parked it with carb problems and a dent he put in the driver's door. He intended to clean it up and repaint it. He collected a set of factory scoops and four Rallye wheels which he included in the sale. When I bought it he was out of work and needed money so the price was way fair. Luckily he had the foresight to put it on a non-op for the 8 years it was parked. It hasn't been registered since 2002 when he parked it.

I'm going to make it my daily driver and a project in process. Something I can tinker on and slowly clean-up over the next year. It's not going to be a show car so I'm not giving it a full restoration at this time. Body, paint, interior, suspension and engine/trans pretty much in that order. I'm going to keep the color the same. My brother-in-law has a body shop so he'll do the body and paint for me. I'll do everything else.

The body is super clean with no rot anywhere. Even the floor pans under the carpet and the trunk floor have zero rust. It was garaged the entire time she owned it and in a carport for the past 8 years. It was quite a find.

Can't wait to be that old guy driving the cool Dodge around town. It's a Ford and Chevy town and already people are stoked when they see it.

pb01.jpg

pb03.jpg

pb02a.jpg

pb04.jpg

pb05b.jpg

pb06.jpg

Wow nice find, that thing is straight! chrome is in great shape too. It will really buff out! I have the same color on my 72 and have a G100 porter cable D/A and some Meguiars M80 it shined right up with some elbow grease

You're a lucky man! Congrats, what a nice find!!

All the stainless is super straight too. My bro in law was admiring the chrome just this weekend and saying the same thing. The front bumper has a ding in it but the rear is quite nice. I wasn't going to let this one pass me up as soon as I saw it. I made him a slightly lower offer (required isn't it?) and he whined, "C'mon dude, you know this is a solid car worth a lot more than I'm asking." He wouldn't budge but like I said, I wasn't leaving without it.

Looks like it's got a 1970 rim blow steering wheel ?

Does it have an 8 3/4 rear end, disk brakes?

Hey FomocoReformed- I just read through your entire thread. What a great project. Keep it up. My son is 23 and I just gave him my '74 Satellite Sebring. I had a 408 in it which was a ton of fun but likely to get him in trouble. He's rebuilt the original 318 fortifying it a bit just a touch more than stock. He's got it back in and is currently finishing up all the wiring but got called out of town for a few weeks with his job. I know it's driving him crazy to be that close....
Can't wait to see more updates on yours.

dude, way nice car! exactly how mine was. got it from the original owner...was so very clean and cherry. no rust at all...

The S83 wheel? Looks like it does to me, that is a rare wheel.

how rare is that wheel? my 70 dart came with one....the rim blow part didnt work correctly...honked every time i touched it or made a turn...i took it off and threw it away....i thought it was ugly...

Thanks! See what we have to deal with on the east coast? haha and my car before I started work on it would be considered "pretty solid" as far as it goes over here.

Good to hear your son's got a good project of his own, I'm 22 now and I started with this car my freshman year in college and it's got a ways to go now. I don't have the free time that I used to.

Your car doesn't really look like it needs much at all. (love how clean the bumpers are!!)

It does have the S83 but it's pretty hammered. There's a split in the center pad and the switch is cracked and peeling out. I haven't looked into seeing if anything can be done about it. I know a buddy replaced the rim blow switch on his Ford once but that was a while ago. I think it glued in. Anybody have information? I'll take some photos of the wheel. It's got an awful cover on it right now that feels like fish scales when it runs under your hands.

It does have an 8 3/4 rear end which was a nice surprise when I went to look at it. Man, you guys know your A-Bodies!!!

Manual drums all the way around. I forgot to mention that I will be addressing that as well. They're fine but they do force you to be a very alert and very very careful driver. Bell drove it for 30 years as is- I can't pansy out too quick!

Thanks! See what we have to deal with on the east coast? haha and my car before I started work on it would be considered "pretty solid" as far as it goes over here.)

I know what you're saying...my wife and I lived in Minnesota for about five years...Uff Dah! I had a '73 Satellite that was my "winter driver" in the late '80s. When it came time to sell it, the rot was so bad I couldn't even get anybody from Minnesota to buy it.

I talked my wife into letting me drive it in a demolition derby while she was 6 months pregnant with our son. Our friends thought she was going to give birth in the grandstands.

I had my buddies in the art department where I worked paint it up so I could win the best looking car trophy...I did...big mistake...might just as well paint a bulls-eye on you. But then any mopar could win the Best Looking Car trophy with no paint. All I told the guys was that I wanted flames from the back to front and they went to town on it.

I'm not at all proud to say I destroyed a mopar in that fashion but I was younger and I did it. My only real regret is that my son is currently looking for a humped roadrunner hood like it had on it.

demosatellite14.jpg

demosatellite12.jpg

demosatellite.jpg

I think there is an option package that comes with rim blow wheel, remote mirror, some fancier trim, etc.

In 1971 that option package had the same rim blow wheel as the E-bodies have. And from my journeys many times those cars with that package have disk brakes and 8 3/4 rear ends for some reason. In 71 and 72 you see even /6 cars with 8 3/4's whereas that is real uncommon for a 68 or 69 A-body.

I wonder if your 70 Swinger has the HD brakes that I think come with 14x5.5" rims instead of 14x5" Not so sure about that though.

I think there is an option package that comes with rim blow wheel, remote mirror, some fancier trim, etc.

In 1971 that option package had the same rim blow wheel as the E-bodies have. And from my journeys many times those cars with that package have disk brakes and 8 3/4 rear ends for some reason. In 71 and 72 you see even /6 cars with 8 3/4's whereas that is real uncommon for a 68 or 69 A-body.

I wonder if your 70 Swinger has the HD brakes that I think come with 14x5.5" rims instead of 14x5" Not so sure about that though.

Steve, funny you bring that up....my 70 dart was so equipped...came with a rimblow steering wheel, remote mirror, had a slant 6, 10 inch drum brakes, 14x5.5" wheels, and an 8 3/4 rear....and tow package!

I went through the brakes completely and it does have 10 inch brakes and a remote mirror. This is all very interesting to know as this is my first time dallying into the world of A-Bodies.

I decoded the fender tag and will have to dig that up after work. I don't remember any particular package listed on it. I haven't looked for a build sheet yet.

Nice Dart. I think I see a bad wiper filler. If so get it off there now. Something like a new scratch in the windshield can spoil your attitude about the car. Happy moparing

I know what you're saying...my wife and I lived in Minnesota for about five years...Uff Dah! I had a '73 Satellite that was my "winter driver" in the late '80s. When it came time to sell it, the rot was so bad I couldn't even get anybody from Minnesota to buy it.

I talked my wife into letting me drive it in a demolition derby while she was 6 months pregnant with our son. Our friends thought she was going to give birth in the grandstands.

I had my buddies in the art department where I worked paint it up so I could win the best looking car trophy...I did...big mistake...might just as well paint a bulls-eye on you. But then any mopar could win the Best Looking Car trophy with no paint. All I told the guys was that I wanted flames from the back to front and they went to town on it.

I'm not at all proud to say I destroyed a mopar in that fashion but I was younger and I did it. My only real regret is that my son is currently looking for a humped roadrunner hood like it had on it.

demosatellite14.jpg

demosatellite12.jpg

demosatellite.jpg

Coolest demo car I have ever seen, got any more pics? How about "after" pics and how did you do in the derby? :glasses7:

That's one badass demo car! and yeah I can see the rot on that, hoooooo baby I bet she was a mess under that paint. Hilarious I've seen a cutlass 442 a friend of mine worked on that was MUCH worse than that and even it was saved, winters are just evil around here.

Please dont paint it.
There original one time.

I'd love to not have to paint it. The paint looks fantastic in these photos but it's rubbed off on all the sharp body lines on the top of the fenders and quarters and the deck lid has several deep gouges past the primer all the way across where the guy was storing stuff on it and dragged it off. At least that was his story. We're going with the original color.

"Coolest demo car I have ever seen, got any more pics? How about "after" pics and how did you do in the derby?"

We got there and we're touching up the paint and the rest of the guys are greasing up their sidewalls and hammering and welding on stuff. We must have really looked like fancy city boys.

This photo was after the first heat. I lost my tranny linkage half way through and broke off my flag to save it for the consolation heat. We fixed the linkage and I got back out. I don't know where those last photos ended up. The next day I was throwing up and so sore I couldn't even get out of bed. Fun stuff!

demosatellite10.jpg

Record setting weather here. We need the rain but it's good outside-work-on-the-car temps. Hopefully start removing trim this weekend to start getting the body ready for a freshening up.

Got the hood set-up.

pb07.jpg

Nice Dart. I think I see a bad wiper filler. If so get it off there now. Something like a new scratch in the windshield can spoil your attitude about the car. Happy moparing

Those are old old Anco wipers. All I could find local right now were the black plastic ones. I put them on today and they look awful but will work for now if needed. I'd like to try to find another set on metal ones online.

I took some photos before I began removing trim and moldings.

pbDSCN5942.jpg

pbDSCN5945.jpg

pbDSCN5946pix.jpg

Below- gouges in the deck lid.

pbDSCN5912.jpg

pbDSCN5938.jpg

Loving these lower quarters. They're what dreams are made of. I pinch myself looking at them.

pbDSCN5931.jpg

pbDSCN5930.jpg

Ding in the lower driver door.

pbDSCN5910.jpg

Pretty typical of all the sharp body lines below-

pbDSCN5922.jpg

Vinyl top was ragged. Not too bad underneath it. The roof seams will need the most work of any area on the Swinger.

pbDSCN5929.jpg

pbDSCN5928.jpg

pbDSCN5926.jpg

pbDSCN5927.jpg

pbDSCN5917.jpg

-
Back