1970 Swinger Daily Driver

-
Steve, funny you bring that up....my 70 dart was so equipped...came with a rimblow steering wheel, remote mirror, had a slant 6, 10 inch drum brakes, 14x5.5" wheels, and an 8 3/4 rear....and tow package!
Interesting because mine has the remote mirror, / and nine inch drum brakes. No idea on the wheel size as the PO put the cragars on it and the build sheet is long gone. Infortunately, no 8 3/4 can be located under mine.

Very solid car. How come some of the 70 models came with bumper guards and some didn't? California thing?

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a 70 dart that I couldn't walk away from either, it's just a bare bones, but complete /6 3 speed manual car. Other than a little rust in the rear quarters, it's solid too. I took it home and just parked it till I get a chance to build it. At least I saved one. Keep us updated. :thumleft:

I've never heard the reason for the bumper guards but the way things have always been in California it could be. I've thought of getting rid of them eventually but not on the top of any list at this point. Love the looks of the one you just picked up. Where did you find that one?

Forgot to add the new photo. Pulled it out to clean it up and do the final blocking on it. It's got to get ugly before it gets pretty again and it's pretty ugly right now...

He had to really work the lead at the base of the Left A pillar. It was humped up and ground in sharp hard angles with grinder marks in it. The lead at the rocker was the same way. The right side lead was perfect. Says something about the guy working that side of the body on the line that day.

As long as the glass is out I'm going to replace the package tray and the dash pad now too. It's really nice to be able to just reach down in and not up and under the glass. The headliner has to be replaced too. One of the old seams gave way so it's safety pinned up in the middle right now.

The old gal had those vinyl full width mats that completely covered the front and rear, even up and over the hump so the carpet is quite nice. I'll keep that for now. I'm going to keep the interior green.

I cleaned all the dust out of the trunk and decided to take a real good look down between the trunk extensions and the quarters. I used a 3x4 mirror I have and an LED flashlight. Spotless...Oh, except for that little brass cylinder with the lead tip. After about 45 minutes of working with a long narrow screwdriver with tape wrapped backwards around the tip, I pulled out an unspent 357 mag shell. I think it's safe to say it was from the guy I bought the car from unless ol' Gertrude was packing heat!

It was just the right size to keep wedging in the gap so I'd have to hook it with a bent piece of wire and lift it up and un-stuck and then try to snag it with the tape. Those are deep wells. My back is killing me...

Anyway we should be doing paint next week. Ordered it today F4 light green metallic. Here's a comparison from the day I brought it home to just before the body work began and then a photo from today. Progress is moving along well now.

primer.jpg

i think your car started out looking exactly like my 70 which is my next project.

Attachments

• d3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 548
  • d4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 550
It was popular combination. I've seen a bunch of them even here. That looks like a nice solid car.

Finished blocking out the primer today. Uff dah, I wish my back were 20 years younger! Staggered out of bed this morning - tomorrow ought to be fun getting to work...all for the love of the Dart, Delma.

Nit-picky things left to do and should be ready for paint mid-week.

fbIMG_9824.jpg

fbIMG_9827.jpg

They got her painted yesterday- still needs to be color sanded. It's great to see some major progress happening. I've been repainting the grill and polishing all the stainless.

fbIMG_9835.jpg

fbIMG_9834.jpg

fbIMG_9829.jpg

fbIMG_9828.jpg

fbIMG_9839.jpg

VERY nice!! Getting ready to paint my 70 Swinger 340 the same F4 color soon, but with an F8 top! I see you also removed the body side molding...seems to clean up the sides considerably and show off those nice crisp body lines that look so good on this body style! Ben

Love the lines. It's like a raised panel down the length of the side with that nice little up-turn on the top lines behind the door and below the quarter glass.

Finished painting the grill. Thankfully there were no cracks or breaks to repair.

The car is painted and I'm just waiting for him to finish color sanding and buffing it. Looking forward to getting it back home so I can begin reassembly. It's beginning to look within reach now.

fbDSCN6263.jpg

fbDSCN6262.jpg

i am building a 1970 daily driver dart. i hope to start posting pics . What a great start on your car. It is fun cutting the hood for the scoops

i am building a 1970 daily driver dart. i hope to start posting pics . What a great start on your car. It is fun cutting the hood for the scoops

I measured so many times...it's hard to put a drill up to a perfect hood. PM me when you start posting on your 70.

lilac makes a statement lmao. car is looking really good you must be getting excited to drive it

Got the headliner finished today....104 with higher than normal humidity...that's three days I'll never get back. Holy cats! At least I can claim I did it and didn't hire it out....Uff dah, I should have hired it out!

Been working on the Swinger whenever I can find time. Life is what happens when you're making other plans....

Got the headliner in and checked the look of the grill. The fender extensions still need to be cut and buffed so my painter has to do that first.

I've got the front glass ordered along with both seals. Looks like the glass guy will be out at the end of the week to put that back in. We got the front glass out in one piece but it'd got a pretty good bulls-eye in it.

Getting anxious to get back on the road.

Attachments

• fb IMG_9870.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 356
  • fb IMG_9871.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 372
  • fb IMG_9873.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 357
  • fb DSCN5838.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 358
  • fb DSCN5841.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 357
Finally getting her back together. Been back on the road since Friday. Feels great!

Attachments

• oo_07041.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 317
-
Back