1971 318 build

-
not a318 hater
it's $$$ to get a certain amount of torque
now pick how much you want and sharpen your pencil

AJ I love you to death brother, I really do. But not everybody wants to build "AJ's miracle motor". We all know that time and space don't follow natural rules with whatever you build. Yours gets a million miles per gallon while makin the same HP. We get it. You can put one together......or at the very least in theory. It gets old brother bringin up just "how good you are" on every single thread and pushing what YOU do on somebody else that's doing something different, because that's what they WANT to do. There "ARE" other people who can do things successfully too and do it differently. We know you've run 35:1 compression on E85 and probably cow patties, too. Frankly I for one don't care, because what you're doing has zero bearing on what I'm doing......and frankly no bearing on this thread either, since you're talkin 360 and he wants a 318. It's like everybody trying to cram a V8 down everybody's throat that wants a slant six. Some people want what they want because that's what they want and that's the end of it.

I say all that with as much brotherly love and respect as I possibly can.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

AJ’s wonderful 35 mpg machine! Spend crazy money on a gear vendors so you get the mileage! Money you’ll never recoupe.

Another 318 hater. Now brow beating a father son project. You and Wyrm should party together.

not a318 hater
Yes you are. Otherwise you would be helping him build a 318 and not shaming him into spending money on a 360.

To me when giving advice to the OP threads you should think how would you do it if you were them. If your a turbo guy not everyone wants a turbo same /6, 440, 360/408, full drag car, pro tour etc.. guy. Not everyone has the same skill set abilities money time wants etc... Nothing wrong with point out a flaw in someone’s plan but we only need one you should build a 360 instead and if the OP wants a 318 still then you should think if I was this guy with his knowledge skill set equipment money time etc... how would I do a 318.

To me everyone looking to build power should start with a 440 or a stroker 400/440 but I don’t say that in every thread.

Here's my opinion: based on everything I've read about the Edelbrock heads, I would have them worked and definitely have the valve job checked. Once you have the work completed on them, set your compression ratio (I would personally run as much compression safely as the fuel I wanted to use would allow) and determine a camshaft that suits the compression and the heads. I would also have the intake at least port matched to the heads, but that's your choice. If you're careful you can do that at home. But I say go for it. I love 318s, I have one that is a little over 11.25:1 compression. Build it and have fun with it.

3.55 gearset in an 8.75 rearend.

Before we order anything we will do more research to achieve those numbers.

I think the motivation for my son is him wanting a car that would rival my big block duster and my wifes srt8 challenger. Lol.

When you see your young child running towards the street, do you not yell and scream and race out to stop him?
You can't touch a BB Duster with a normally-aspirated 318 and 3.55s, but um, Hey what do I know.....
What I know:
Big cam= big rpm= in a 318,hard to make cylinder pressure with.
6800 with 3.55s is ~58mph in first gear with a 2.45 low gear. Top of second is 97 mph.
Yeah rival a BB Duster? It's not gonna happen.
32mph in traffic, is um; 2050rpm in "2", and 3460 in "L" ;
In second,the cam is not yet out of reversion.
65=2870@zero slip with an 85" roll-out. Could be 100/150 more with convertor slip.
idles like a top-fueler.
Nice weekend warrior.
yippee.
But hey, lets let him run......

I get accused of spending others money. But you guys want OP to blow a stinking huge wad on machining; then a new set of rear gears, installed; and a really big for street, TC.

But I'm the bad guy for trying to make an affordable combo, (to try to rival a BB Duster), on 3.55s, that you can drive all day every day, and idle in traffic, all while sipping 87E10.

I am not a 318-hater.
I just see the limitations in this endeavor. It's gonna need a BIG solid-lifter cam,which automatically means BIG Scr, and a BIG TC, and BIG rear gears, and then it is gonna have to 60 ft down in the basement, and it will need all the usual supportworks. So add it up; this is BIG money; there goes the College-fund. This takes a lotta love-for-318, to chase after. From zero to 60, like a streeter, horsepower means almost nothing
And you make me out to be the badguy!. Ok; let him run...... Maybe there's no traffic out there today.

Op, whatever you do, don't use that Eddie cam. Rumble mentioned a SFT "aggressive" lobed cam , and he is right. Very aggressive. A lo-po BB, lightweight Duster, might trap at 115 or better, maybe 118, which at 3400 pounds of street weight is 400hp. So yes, you can build a 400hp 318, looking at 1.26hp per cube. Just open up your wallet and spend. A 360 might do that at 1.11, with just a lil compression, and bolt-ons.
But horsepower means almost nothing from zero to 60 when handicapped by gears and stall. That makes the 360 the clear winner on the street with 3.55s.

Last edited:
If he wants to rival a 440, he should get a 440.

Anyone who points out the 318 should be replaced by a 360 because bigger is better should have went right to the stroker small block or skipped it all together and mentioned a big block and we might as well stroke it & Turbo it while we are mentioning it.

Bigger is better right......

Let the kid have fun with the 318 for Pete’s sake!
I’m sure Dad has already mentioned a bigger engine would be easier.

To me when giving advice to the OP threads you should think how would you do it if you were them. If your a turbo guy not everyone wants a turbo same /6, 440, 360/408, full drag car, pro tour etc.. guy. Not everyone has the same skill set abilities money time wants etc... Nothing wrong with point out a flaw in someone’s plan but we only need one you should build a 360 instead and if the OP wants a 318 still then you should think if I was this guy with his knowledge skill set equipment money time etc... how would I do a 318.

To me everyone looking to build power should start with a 440 or a stroker 400/440 but I don’t say that in every thread.

Yes, you'll notice when I give advice, I always err on the side of budget, because that's how I have to do it. That's why I don't recommend obscure high end parts like Jones cams and the like......and there's nothing wrong with that stuff, but when you can come close off the shelf (and you can) I see no point in it unless you're racing for points or money. I don't know anyone personally who goes into a project WANTING to spend every single penny they can on it.

Yes, you'll notice when I give advice, I always err on the side of budget, because that's how I have to do it. That's why I don't recommend obscure high end parts like Jones cams and the like......and there's nothing wrong with that stuff, but when you can come close off the shelf (and you can) I see no point in it unless you're racing for points or money. I don't know anyone personally who goes into a project WANTING to spend every single penny they can on it.
Agreed. Messing with what you have instead of going out and getting another engine starts you off in a $$$ deficit. (The biggest suggestion a decade ago was get a 340 block that normally started at $700. (And then you had to figure out if it was any good!) While there is a benefit on some angles, not everyone has money to throw at there project like the US government does at fixing problems. (Real or perceived!)

Never having enough money to really get all the good trick parts and new fangled gizmos of the day, never mind spending money on body work or actually having a good looking car to start with... used parts and what ever I had in the engine bay worked just fine.

Didn’t need a guy across the country grinding me the latest wizardry for a cam to have a 11 second street car! Nope! The MP cam did just fine on pump gas with those often dumped on iron heads & small valves. Making parts to work or my own modifications to something was done instead of getting the new fangled intake, cable holder, etc....

-
Back