1971 Dodge Demon Front Suspension UPDATE 7-9-14

-

Raupleminze

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am torqueing all of the front end parts to specification today and was wondering what parts have to be under load? I understand that the lower control arms, and lower shock bolts do. What about all of the others (upper a arms, strut rods, etc)? Engine and transmission are out of the car. The only spec I could find for k member bolts was a forum post that stated 150 ft/lbs. Upper shock bolts were 25 ft/lbs, and sway bar bracket bolts were 25 ft/lbs

I also have mated the 727 and 360 to get ready to install. The ARP flexplate to crank torque specs were 55ft/lbs. The ARP flexplate to torque converter was listed as 270 inch lbs (which worked out to be 22.5 ft/lbs). Transmission bellhousing to engine block was 50 ft/lbs.

Does everything I have done so far seem right?

Also it appears that one of the holes on the driver side for the bellhousing bolt (near the starter) is stripped out. The block is a 95 360 magnum. Was the starter through bolted at this location or should I helicoil the bellhousing?

What about the torque spec for engine mount brackets and pads?

Im hoping to get this thing in soon......

Thanks in advance,
Brian

- Strut rod into LCA should be pre-torqued.
- Strut nut at front end tightened when the car is first on its wheels and before final ride height adjustment.
- Lower control arm shaft nut ONLY on the wheels and after the proper ride height is set.
- Upper control arm bushing bolts can be done any time; I'd first tighten them with the arm at about mid travel range. They will get loosened and re-tightened for alignment.
- Anti-sway bar end links and bushings last thing when at ride height.
- Shcok bolts are a 'don't care when' at both ends.....

BTW, you can set the car at proper ride height without the engine, just set the T-bars as needed at that point. But when the engine is going in, run up the T-bar adjusters while putting in the motor and do final height adjustment as soon as it it back on the ground. I have put anti-seize on the adjuster threads and on the points where the adjusted blocks bear on the LCA's so that later adjustment is easy. I have read recommendations here to raise the car each time you adjust ride height to avoid the chance to bugger up the adjuster threads; good advice IMO if they are all rusty.

All else should be torqued as you assemble each piece or group of pieces.

Hope that helps! BTW, I think you can download a manual for your car to get all the torque specs ...

- Strut rod into LCA should be pre-torqued.
- Strut nut at front end tightened when the car is first on its wheels and before final ride height adjustment.
- Lower control arm shaft nut ONLY on the wheels and after the proper ride height is set.
- Upper control arm bushing bolts can be done any time; I'd first tighten them with the arm at about mid travel range. They will get loosened and re-tightened for alignment.
- Anti-sway bar end links and bushings last thing when at ride height.
- Shcok bolts are a 'don't care when' at both ends.....

BTW, you can set the car at proper ride height without the engine, just set the T-bars as needed at that point. But when the engine is going in, run up the T-bar adjusters while putting in the motor and do final height adjustment as soon as it it back on the ground. I have put anti-seize on the adjuster threads and on the points where the adjusted blocks bear on the LCA's so that later adjustment is easy. I have read recommendations here to raise the car each time you adjust ride height to avoid the chance to bugger up the adjuster threads; good advice IMO if they are all rusty.

All else should be torqued as you assemble each piece or group of pieces.

Hope that helps! BTW, I think you can download a manual for your car to get all the torque specs ...

Thank you!

Hey Guys,

I am torqueing all of the front end parts to specification today and was wondering what parts have to be under load? I understand that the lower control arms, and lower shock bolts do. What about all of the others (upper a arms, strut rods, etc)? Engine and transmission are out of the car. The only spec I could find for k member bolts was a forum post that stated 150 ft/lbs. Upper shock bolts were 25 ft/lbs, and sway bar bracket bolts were 25 ft/lbs

I also have mated the 727 and 360 to get ready to install. The ARP flexplate to crank torque specs were 55ft/lbs. The ARP flexplate to torque converter was listed as 270 inch lbs (which worked out to be 22.5 ft/lbs). Transmission bellhousing to engine block was 50 ft/lbs.

Does everything I have done so far seem right?

Also it appears that one of the holes on the driver side for the bellhousing bolt (near the starter) is stripped out. The block is a 95 360 magnum. Was the starter through bolted at this location or should I helicoil the bellhousing?

What about the torque spec for engine mount brackets and pads?

Im hoping to get this thing in soon......

<a href="http://s184.photobucket.com/user/raupleminze/media/3247B164-60C5-4BF9-B4D5-7C579A9BA73A_zpsyuco8mzf.jpg.html" target="_blank">

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Sweet looking motor!

-
Back