1971 Dodge Demon Hemi install

-
You said you were converting your duster to power steering. Do you plan to keeo the manual steering box? If not is there any play in it and would you be interested in selling it and for how much? Mine has a full turn either way before it starts moving the car. A little unsafe and the wife refuses to ride in it or let my kids in it till i get it fixed.

Thanks

Jeff Yarbrough
509-863-2617
USMC

You said you were converting your duster to power steering. Do you plan to keeo the manual steering box? If not is there any play in it and would you be interested in selling it and for how much? Mine has a full turn either way before it starts moving the car. A little unsafe and the wife refuses to ride in it or let my kids in it till i get it fixed.

Thanks

Jeff Yarbrough
509-863-2617
USMC

Hey Jeff.......... thank you for your service............ I will be using the box in my 68 Dart.. Sorry........... email [email protected] I bet Don has one for sale...........

Don and I got started an out 9:45 this morning and the day started off just fine. Don went under the car and I started in the engine compartment. Pretty standard stuff......untill we started on the steering column. Don says to me "what about the key" and I say " yeah, well Vince will have to use 3 keys, 1 for the trunk, 1 for the doors and 1 for the ignition. Well, he said lets just change out the key it wont take that long..... and he was right for the most part. neither of us had taken apart a column before so we started on the one we were not going to use. felt pretty good about it and tore into the one we where going to use. No problem.....Since we were in there i wanted to use the wires out of the manual column because everything work fine and the power steering column wires looked a Little worn, hard, brittle.... you get it.... so anyway we change out those wires also... All in all it took about an hour and a half. then the fun started........ we put the column in the car and start to try to put the coupler onto the steering box.......grrrrr it took us 1/2 hour before we remembered there was a slot so the splines just wouldn't line up. So, we line up the splines and poof....it slides on..... The story is not over...to be continued!!!!!

I do, I have been there twice.............. what a great show that is! we should try to get together. Maybe even try to get other FABO members in the area there.......

i'm game! i'm in shaler and work in cranberry. keep me in the loop.

So to continue the story this freaking steering column is giving us fits. It keeps doing this.......

Steering_shaft_coupler.jpg

thats right, the steering coupler shoes
sp-1324.jpg

kept coming out of the steering column shaft COUPLER! Every time we installed the column the coupler would come apart and the only thing we could think of was to remove the column and set it side by side with the column from the Demon. Don't you know the housing is exactly the same but the shaft is shorter by 1 inch! we tried adjusting the base to get more column but to no avail! So, I called HemiDenny and son of a ***** Denny tells me about the construction of the shaft. "Just hold the bottom of the shaft with vise grips and pull on the steering wheel until you get the length that you need! It worked, its in and I'm pissed it took HOURS to figure it out! I was so pissed that i didn't even take pictures! ............. The next time Don and I are in the garage we will finish the Duster.............

Just finished swapping out the instrument cluster bezel for Jim's car. Also polished all of the lenses & cleaned up the gauges. The chrome was missing & the 'wood' was somewhat deteriorating. The lenses were scratched pretty good, but they cleaned up nice with some 3M plastic cleaner & then 3M plastic polish.

Sorry for the pic quality. The 'new' looks far better than the 'old' in person.

Old:
1971DemonDashOld.jpg

New:
1971DemonDashNew.jpg

I ordered the radio and cable that your recomended........ should be here next week sometime

Yesterday Don and I went to the hotrod shop to finish up the White Duster. we needed to finish a few big items, steering wheel, exhaust, torsen bars.... that went pretty smooth....... the small things, just double checking that everything was tight and we went to start it. Well..... No problems, we primed the carb with a little fuel and turned the key. It started right away. the only thing that was strange was a tick, knock, but it went away after about 2 minutes of running. I'm thinking it was a lifter.......

I need the HEMI to be delivered......................... 8)

yall do some good work and them are some nice rides cannt wait to see that hemi

Just finished swapping out the instrument cluster bezel for Jim's car. Also polished all of the lenses & cleaned up the gauges. The chrome was missing & the 'wood' was somewhat deteriorating. The lenses were scratched pretty good, but they cleaned up nice with some 3M plastic cleaner & then 3M plastic polish.

Sorry for the pic quality. The 'new' looks far better than the 'old' in person.

Old:
1971DemonDashOld.jpg

New:
1971DemonDashNew.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to repaint the instrument "wood" color. how about prep for it to?

Hey if it makes you guys feel any better, I have been watching this thread, you guys do kick *** work!!!

Im reading as well! Looks great thus far. When you guys coming over to stick a hemi in my Dart,lol? Or how about my Caravan......8)

Excellent thread. Awesome work. I liked seeing how easy it was to drop motor out the botom. Keep the pics coming!

-
Back