1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
Demon,
I meant cleaning up the parts like the differential chunk, the axle tubes and the tranny case where you uncovered the factory markings. I have used the Evaporust on some small parts, that is amazing stuff! L8r

Love the detailing.. really nice work. Am interested in how the ECS stuff performs. Bought a container, and haven't even tried it yet. Love the smell though :)

Grant

I just used fine steel wool, dawn soap, hot water, patience and elbow grease to get the markings on the diff and rear to show up. I had an idea of where to look for the markings too. When I started on the rear the only visible mark was the "A".

Heating parts in the oven (180) helps the RPM go on much better and thinner. A heat gun is a must. Buy some decent cheap brushes that don't shed. Various size widths help too.

Thanks for the compliments.
I'm doing this out of my home garage (3 car but usually has 2 parked cars) and not some large shop. So all the compliments help make all the hard work worthwhile.

love that 68 amx ,i had one simular to it back in mid 80,s my first wife made me get rid of it every time she would drive it something would go wrong with it maybe the car was trying to tell me something i shoulda got rid of her instead lol

Your doing a great job. This will be something to very proud of. Makes me want to drag my 71 out of the garage.

Thanks Dodgeboy and 1970LA

I'm surprised I kept my AMX as long as I have. You should have listened to the car!

I picked up all my chrome yesterday. I also dropped off my engine at machine shop and the window trim to be polished. Brake drums and driveshaft are soaking in Evaporust. I also got all my brake and fuel lines ordered today. I've had to work on my daily driver and haven't been able to spend much time working on the Duster. :banghead:

I'm bummed about parts that were sent out not being done when they were supposed to. If theres some advice I can pass on to others is try to plan for delays. :sad1::cwm21:

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Rearrr.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,042
I got the cotton batting at a fabric/ upholstery supply store. It was whole roll, about enough to 2 interiors, for $50.

Nice resto thread. Great build! I just ordered some Evaporust. Gonna try to get my chrome tips cleaned up along with bolts etc.

The faded black paint on the lower pinch welds is visible on my '71 also. From a short distance it gives the car a thinner and longer feel to it compared to other cars that I have seen where the owner repainted that area with the body color. Are you going to retain the black paint scheme for the car?

Your progess is encouraging to me to get going on my car.

Great job!

68GTconvert, you'll never use a wire wheel again! Heres a brake drum I did today.

340duster No it wasn't my AMX, that would be cool though. Its hibernating currently.

DFX340 Yes I plan on redoing it the same as the factory did it. Although I may do the inner fender black out a little more cleaner than the factory. The underside is getting the flat black primer too, as it was an LA built car. Thanks, keep plugging away you'll get it done!

naji408, Thanks!

70Dartmike, Yes, I used the batting on top of and some under the foam, but on top of the burlap. It was easier and more giving to use than foam. Heres some pics of the rear seats as I redid them. In my opinion the batting helps fill out the seat cover and reduce wrinkles.

I also had Harms Auto, Scott Smith, replate my tailight housings, they look awesome! I did the reflective part myself. I have seen people get similar results by using Eastwoods carb paints too.

Attachments

• Tailights.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 956
  • seatsdone.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 958
  • Seats.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 962
  • seatsb4.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 964
  • seatsb44.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 967
  • Drums.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 979
Hey, RESPECT for your work !
But : your title for the thread is wrong : YOU don´t have a Ruster... see my pics from my 70 Duster...that´s the really RUSTER !

Greetings from Leipzig, Germany
and good luck for your project

Peter

Attachments

• floor panel pass side back.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 950
  • floor panel pass side front.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 938
  • floor panel trunk.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 944
  • old trunk floor and frame.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 945
You win!! THAT is a rusty Duster.

I dont' feel so bad about the rusty 72 Demon I own now! Thank god for AMD!!

-
Back