1971 duster pistol grip

-

bballfan1

Reaction score
a guy at a car show had paper work saying a pistol grip was available in a 71 duster. Anyone ever seen this?

No pistol grips were offered in any A-Body Mopar that I know of...

B & E bodies only.

Nope. Guys do put E body versions in them - but no factory orders from what I've seen/heard. It leaves it on a strange angle IMO, I never liked them in an A.

That’s what I thought too. He had a book that had it as an option. Saw it with my own eyes.

There is also a brochure showing a 71 Challenger T/A, none were ever made. Maybe Chrysler was planning on putting a pistol grip shifter in but never followed through.

Most people that put a pistol grip handle in an A-Body use the '72 and later B-Body bench seat version.
They never offered a pistol grip in these A-Bodies for U.S.A. and Canada, but who knows as far as Mexico etc?

Was it this book?

9781613253434.jpg

If so, it's full of mistakes including stating that some 4-speed A-bodies had factory Pistol-grip shifters.

It could have been. He had it open so did not see cover. His trunk was packed with literature. Car was a petty blue 340-4 speed 72 duster. Beautiful car.

You could by anything through the Hustle Stuff catalog that became Direct Connection, that may be where he got his info.

to be honest , he had one in his car and it looked good! Along with a tuff wheel. It was a 72 so no rallye but car was really nice!

I put a 71-72 B body non-console pistol grip in my 71 340 duster. Love the look and feel of it. Its too bad they never offered them as an option from factory.

I have the pistol grip for bench seat b body in my 71 duster fits and works great always wanted one. Thanks Brewers performance

Those are nice too! My buddy had one in his challenger. Your orange duster is the twin to mine except the spoiler. Nice car!
My duster is totaled. My son took it out and hit the post office and a pole. A-arm bolt broke. Car went 10's with the spare still in the trunk. Weighed 3650 . Can you believe the spoiler did not get broke. Saved the both doors and the left fender.

DSCN2780 (2).JPG

20170520_203824.jpg

DSCN2770 (2).JPG

DSCN2786 (2).JPG

DSCN2822 (2).JPG

...and just last night on mecum, john kramen said the Challenger was based on the Barracuda platform that had been around since 1964.

Poor choice of wording at the very least.

For current and future reference about what Chrysler offered as factory equipment on cars built between 1968 and later, use the following link to review the actual factory to dealer materials.

This website has many factory resources so be certain to check here first before relying on outside sources that are speculative in nature, or flat out wrong.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1970 - 1974)

...and just last night on mecum, john kramen said the Challenger was based on the Barracuda platform that had been around since 1964.

Poor choice of wording at the very least.
There is a certain degree of accuraacy to that statement. I would have worded it differently and made a mention on how the E body is a shortened B body. Which has nothing to do with the A body and ZERO for the Challenger. There sister cars. And that is where it ends.

Right Rumble. There is a lot of information to sift through to know your stuff, and no A-body came with a Pistol Grip shifter.

My duster is totaled. My son took it out and hit the post office and a pole. A-arm bolt broke. Car went 10's with the spare still in the trunk. Weighed 3650 . Can you believe the spoiler did not get broke. Saved the both doors and the left fender.

View attachment 1715203104

View attachment 1715203105

View attachment 1715203106

View attachment 1715203107

View attachment 1715203108
HOLY HELL!!!!! Oh my God man I am so sorry to see that. What a beautiful car. I hope your son is ok after that! Wow just wow. I hope you get another one soon!

OMG! Is he ok? How fast was he going to crush the 1/4 panel like that?[/QUOTE]

-
Back