1971 Scamp limited....

-
Well today was my birthday, so of course, I spent it working on the Scamp! My official photographer will probably show up with pics. We, "paparazzi" and I put the motor and trans back in. It's a good feeling to be on the way to starting it up. Thanx for the help again Tom. :prayer:

You're welcome George, i had a great time too. :cheers:
Here's some pics for your thread, after all, i am the official photographer...... and this thread would be useless without pics! :D

Attachments

• 20121130_10.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 445
  • 20121130_17.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 20121130_21.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 429
  • 20121130_20.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 20121130_19.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 20121130_16.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 421
  • 20121130_15.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 443
  • 20121130_14.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 20121130_13.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 457
  • 20121130_12.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 463
So now that the engine is back in it is time to get at it! I installed the LCA's, torsion bars, strut rods, UCA's, steering rod, idler arm, spindles and rotors. Gotta go back out and get the sway bar on so I can let it down onto wheels again. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0837.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0841.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0851.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0849.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0847.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 406
Small. I am keeping it because I'm converting the Demon which had discs. The Scamp came drums all around. The Demon also had small bolt slots on it which I want to put on this.

Well she's pretty much put the distributor cap and wires on and add fluids now. I am still waiting on bolts for the Kelsey Hayes discs, so I am at a halt there. I'll throw the steering column back in tomorrow and add the fluids. I still have to reroute the trans cooler lines around the headers. Then I will replace the rear wheel brake cylinders and bleed the system out. But if all goes well, it may make noise tomorrow, loud noise with open headers!

Attachments

• IMG_0865.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0864.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0861.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 421
Making great progress George! I'm enjoying seeing you having so much fun and learning so much while you work on the Scamp. Wish I was there to get dirty and help out!

good looking ride the badges above the scamp saids valiant dont they all the parts such be there soon send them in 4 boxes i think

Yes, they do say ''Valiant''.
The lettering rubs off easily.
Here's a pic of one on my parts car. (Not George's brown one)
They bolt on from the back with pins and are not swedged.

Attachments

• 20120619_48.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 414
Well yesterday I put trans lines in. It wasn't too bad. Routing beside the headers took a little patience, but they are in nicely and clear everything without touching anywhere. Then my awesome wife came and helped me with the steering column. Wasn't terrible, but you gotta be careful installing these. I should have removed those white plastic things first. I broke one, but just took one off a spare column. I stuck the spare column in first to test the signal lights. Sure enough they work, :D, my switch in the original will need to be changed. Once installed i tested the coil for power and found there is no power coming to it. Today I will start at the ignition switch and find where the problem is. I am going to have to get some heat shield for the plugs wires. Two on the drivers side at the back are very close to the header. Then hopefully I can hear some open headers purr! :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0872.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0869.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 378
Ya I'm tryin' to get it runnin' asap! :D
So I have been playing electrician today. I haven't got power to the coil in run mode. I do have in start though. Now I was going to test my ballast resistor but the battery in my ohm meter is dead.:banghead: So I decided to pull it out for a look. Hmmm....I'll have to take one off the Demon or Duster and try it.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 366
Yep that was it. I now have power at the coil in both the start and run modes. I can now check to see if I have spark. If so then I can attempt to start her up!

Well no noise today, yet. :sad: I did not get spark to the plugs. So I took a signal switch out of a 72 /6 Demon column that I have and installed it. It has an extra set of three wires that I don't know what they are for so I just tucked them up out of sight. Signals, hazards and horn work! :D I learned that is not a 5 minute job though. :wack: It's actually quite a chore.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 353
Good goin' To check for spark problems,

Remove the connectors from the ignition box, distributor, and ballast. Inspect them, and work them in/ out several times to "scrub" the connections clean, and to "feel" for tightness.

Inspect the interior of the distributor, for rust, debri, and strike damage. Check the gap in the reluctor (.008" that's inches not mm) with a BRASS feeler, available at O'Reallys

Hook your multimeter, on low AC volts, to the distributor connector and crank the engine. It should generate about 1V AC

Remove both the ECU box and voltage regulator, scrape the rear of the box mounting clean, and scrape/ grind the firewall around the bolts. USE star washers, and consider adding a ground lead, "daisy chain" over to the engine block. No14 wire is OK, 12 is better

To temporarily simplify potential wiring problems, make a nice big no14 clip lead, and jumper from the starter relay battery stud to the coil + terminal

Remove the coil wire at the coil, use a grounded probe, IE clip lead and screwdriver. With your jumper hooked up to the coil, you now have hot battery to the coil. Crank the engine (jumper the starter relay) and see if you have spark.

Thanx Del for all that info. :prayer: I had cleaned the voltage regulator and gone over most of the contacts. I for the life of me can't find an ECU or Ignition box!! :banghead: But I looked at the points and thought that may be my issue. So I happened to have a distributor with brand new points in it. I changed it out and she fires without touching the gas. :D Pretty lucky for throwing parts together. Even sounds close on timing, for the moment! :cheers: I made a video but don't know how to get it in here. Woo hoo! :blob::blob:

The vid is here....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969744106#post1969744106

I could not watch your Video :banghead::banghead::banghead:
so I came back here and seen all the work you have completed :cheers:

:blob::blob::cheers: Outstanding !!:cheers:

Thanx Mike. :D It's a good feeling....I'm using old parts and am not sure how they are. It was nice not to see a cloud of smoke though! :cheers: She looks to be a good runner.....now about the trans and diff!

Somehow I missed your Scamp thread. Went looking after seeing the "It's alive vid". Sounds good.
Where are you headed with this car?

Somehow I missed your Scamp thread. Went looking after seeing the "It's alive vid". Sounds good.
Where are you headed with this car?

This car is going to be left as found for the most part. Safety wise all will be new. But as for the body it will be repaired at a later date. I want to keep this one "survivorish" while I get deep into the others. The only visible change will be my old slot mags on it!

Cool. I see you have a nice shop to keep you out of the nasty cold and snow up there :)

-
Back