1971 Scamp limited....

-
So over the last two days I have installed the fuel tank with new sender and an exhaust system.
A BIG kudos to Tom aka Dartnut! :cheers: :thumleft::thumrigh: He sorta donated the pipes!
With the new sender the gauge moves off bottom a little, I am hoping it will work when I put more gas in it. I changed the voltage regulator hoping that was the issue with my gauges. When I did that the temp held a steady test light and the gauge went up slowly when the key was turned on.
The exhaust begins with the Flow tech headers, I think that's what they are, and then flows through 2 1/2" pipes to Thrush Turbos with down spouts in front of the diff. I did make a video but it's 39MB!! Haven't figured out how to change the settings so they aren't so big. It's not perfect by far, but good enough for a daily driver. I am now waiting for tires. They will be on next week sometime. I am going to go with 225/60/14 up front and 225/70/14 out back. The rims I am using wont allow me any more width in the rear, so for now this is what she gets. :D
I'll work on the video now.....

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 441
Thanks for the cudos, George!
I think we made a deal on the pipes that worked out for the both of us pretty well.
It looks like you did a great job on installing them.
How much gas did you put in it?
When i put 5 gallons in mine from new, it only registered about 1/8 of a tank.
I dumped in another 5 gallons in mine and it went up to about 5/8.
I haven't filled mine up yet, but i think the gauge is working properly.

Hi Tom. Ya the pipes were a good deal both ways. I only put about 4 gallons in so I am hoping it is like yours and moves when I add more. It does move so at least I know it is registering. Today I put some Dynomat type stuff on the roof. I am trying to get up the gonads to do the headliner! I think I will wait until next week when I have wheels on it and have taken it for a cruise. I will most likely pull the windshield to do it, I think it will be easier and I can do a better job that way.

Hi Tom. Ya the pipes were a good deal both ways. I only put about 4 gallons in so I am hoping it is like yours and moves when I add more. It does move so at least I know it is registering. Today I put some Dynomat type stuff on the roof. I am trying to get up the gonads to do the headliner! I think I will wait until next week when I have wheels on it and have taken it for a cruise. I will most likely pull the windshield to do it, I think it will be easier and I can do a better job that way.

Good deal.
Why do you think you need to pull the windshield to go for a cruise?
What am i missing here?

Good deal.
Why do you think you need to pull the windshield to go for a cruise?
What am i missing here?

I am going to pull the windshield for the headliner, but I want to smoke the tires first. Once the windshield is out it'll be too cold to drive around! :D I've worn goggles and a scarf for that reason and it was damn cold at 60mph!

Well I got the balls up to do the headliner. I followed instructions found on Rick Kreuziger's sight, link below. I had marked the bars and holes when I removed the old one so I knew where they went. But they are color coded, tried to show in the pic, and they are different lengths. The longest went at the back and worked forward from there. The two front, green ones, are the same length. I used screws to put the sail panel board in. And because I didn't remove the windshield yet I just have it tucked into and clamped to the rubber.
I have yet to glue it, but I want to do a little more stretching first. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but it will not be a professional job for sure! :D

The sight I read for help on the install....
http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 444
Well after trying my slots and determining the offset is just not feasible, without jacking the rear end to the sky, Tom lent me a set of Rallies to get it down on the ground. Of course once it was roll able, I had to drive it! :D I just drove down the driveway and got the trans warm enough to add the correct amount of fluid. Drives nice and seems like it should be OK. I even got to do a burnout, although it was on gravel! Wheel alignment and front end height are still required. But for now I will start reassembling the interior. :blob: I am so happy I could just..........:burnout:

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 390
Looks good! Nice job on the headliner! What's next? Crap you got no snow up there, must be all here!

Thanx Mike. The headliner is OK, it's definately not show quality, but neither is the car! I think once I tie up the loose ends on the Scamp, I will do the 73 Duster in the pics beside it. This one will be getting some serious bodywork though. Pass quarter, floorpan, full interior, fenders, hood tail panel etc, etc. It will actually be a real project and be painted when finished. It has some cool options and should be a nice Duster when I'm done. Ya there is, or was, snow out here. Got up to + 4 today, snow doesn't last to long in Southern Alberta! Thank God. How's the GTS coming? Last pics I saw looked good.

Good to see you got yours running and driving. I got my duster runnin and drivin but not stopin. Decided on wheels gonna run yet?
How does the scamp sound?

how did you get the rear of the car lifted so high? thats how i want my car ....i like it lifted up on all four corners myself ......i put shackles on mine and it lifted the rear up for like two weeks and now its low to the ground real ugly again.

good to see the progress ....some dog dishes would look so muscle on that car :prayer:

Good to see you got yours running and driving. I got my duster runnin and drivin but not stopin. Decided on wheels gonna run yet?
How does the scamp sound?

Thanx, it feels good to have accomplished something! The stoppin' part is kinda important! The tires are going to be 225/70/14 on 5 1/2" out back and probably 215/70/14 on 5 1/2" up front. All steelies. My slots just wont fit without either lifting the back or trimming the wheel well lips. The front is 225/60/14 right now, just because I have a couple sets, but they are too small I think. I will see once I adjust the torsion bars a bit but I'm pretty sure they will be coming off. The sound is great, just a nice rumble, but not too loud. Wish I could make a decent video, so I could let you all hear it.

how did you get the rear of the car lifted so high? thats how i want my car ....i like it lifted up on all four corners myself ......i put shackles on mine and it lifted the rear up for like two weeks and now its low to the ground real ugly again.

good to see the progress ....some dog dishes would look so muscle on that car :prayer:

Thanx Rani. The only reason it looks so high in the back is because the front is so low. The front tires are probably 2" shorter than the rear. It is pretty close to sitting 4" or so off the ground at the K member! It has a real slope to it right now, but it will change with some adjusting in the front suspension. If I was back in the 70's it would stay just like this! I know some people just south of me that would buy it in an instant looking like that! :D

Thanx Rani. The only reason it looks so high in the back is because the front is so low. The front tires are probably 2" shorter than the rear. It is pretty close to sitting 4" or so off the ground at the K member! It has a real slope to it right now, but it will change with some adjusting in the front suspension. If I was back in the 70's it would stay just like this! I know some people just south of me that would buy it in an instant looking like that! :D

Finally! The big sleep is over! :cheers:
It's awesome that you took it on the maiden voyage, George.
It's great when a lot of hard work comes together like this.
Maybe i'll come over and we can go cruising on the back roads just like the good old days. :burnout:
Then we should take it and cruise down main street Cardston with a for sale sign in it and see what happens. :glasses7:
Can you say road trip?
I knew you could!........ :D

Yes it was awesome Tom. I just couldn't help but throw a little gravel around. If we go down to Cardston, we may be walkin' back.....
"Sah **** eh!" :glasses7:

I was thinkin'. Picked it up Oct 24, 2012......drove it Jan 24, 2013. Working two weeks on and two off, I got her wrapped up in roughly 6 weeks of labor. Seemed longer, but I'm always gone away!!

I raised the ride height today. It was practically sitting on the bump stops! I gave it about 3/4" between the stops and I think it looks OK. Should be enough to ride with. Then I installed the new carpet, console and the front seats. I am pretty happy with the carpet. You can't see much in the pics because it's black, but it looks great! I think I got it through Year One and it is an A.C.C. product. It fit quite well, very little trimming to do. I won't hesitate to get another A.C.C. carpet in the future. The wifey was even out today and despite the fact that she previously said she wouldn't be seen in the Scamp, she has now asked when I am getting seat covers and how we can fix the wood grain on the console! I think she will be driving it fairly soon! :blob::D

Oh ya I even broke both tires loose on the driveway today! :burnout:

Attachments

• IMG_0985.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0986.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 349
It looks and sounds great, George.
Had a good visit tonight with you and the Scamposaurus rex.
I can't stop thinking about you saying that you couldn't fit the floor jack under the ''k'' member with it that low on the front before you adjusted the torsion bars!
Who said that you need more than 2 1/2'' clearance between the road and your headers?
I laughed so hard that my upper plate almost fell out!

It looks and sounds great, George.
Had a good visit tonight with you and the Scamposaurus rex.
I can't stop thinking about you saying that you couldn't fit the floor jack under the ''k'' member with it that low on the front before you adjusted the torsion bars!
Who said that you need more than 2 1/2'' clearance between the road and your headers?
I laughed so hard that my upper plate almost fell out!

Ya too bad all good things come to an end. Hmmm, "Rex", kinda has a ring to it! I think the Scamp has a name! I put in a new speaker in the dash, wow, what a pain. Had to let the heater control loose to remove it. Then of course one of the controls lost it's roll pin. :banghead: So I switched it out too. Then the defrost hose came off. :angry1: That's a tough one with the radio in! Blah, blah, blah, I have a working AM radio now! :D

hey George your doing a great job on REX (scamp) LOL, not many scamps get fixed up ??more get parted than anything. thanks for having me over to see the car it sounds and run's very well. talk to you when you get back from work...later RJ

hey George your doing a great job on REX (scamp) LOL, not many scamps get fixed up ??more get parted than anything. thanks for having me over to see the car it sounds and run's very well. talk to you when you get back from work...later RJ

Thanx Rob. You are more than welcome at the shop anytime. I agree not many, not enough, Scamps get saved. To me they are so close to the Dart Swinger it really doesn't make sense, but that's just me! Actually it's a good thing though, sometimes less equals more! I plan on an insurance inspection next time home, so you better get crackin' on the '37. Weather dependant maybe we can get them out for a burn! See you in a couple weeks.

Nice project! looking good so far! Wow you sure don't have much snow down there.

Thanx man. It's been a fairly easy project as I'm just making a driver out of it for now. Only thing I haven't convinced myself of is wheel color....black looks meaner, but silver kinda lights up the side of the car. Being it is a dark color I just don't know which way I like it better! Snow? In Lethbridge? Hours at the most!! Then it gets blown over to Saskatchewan! :D

Thanx man. It's been a fairly easy project as I'm just making a driver out of it for now. Only thing I haven't convinced myself of is wheel color....black looks meaner, but silver kinda lights up the side of the car. Being it is a dark color I just don't know which way I like it better! Snow? In Lethbridge? Hours at the most!! Then it gets blown over to Saskatchewan! :D

Looks like a nice solid car. I like the black over the silver personally, or even body colour would look good! are you gonna run the dog dish caps?

Haha sounds like i should move there! i hate snow and winter for that matter. I feel like an old lady going thru menopause up here.. one day its -40 and blowing snow and the next it's 6 and sunny!

-
Back