1972 Dash Help

-

Yardbuck

Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm new to mopar's. I'm working on my dash and interior right now. From under the dash it almost looks like the entire dash panel can be removed as a unit (after removing things such at the steering column support bracket and other things of that nature). Is this possible? The car is a daily driver right now and it would be nice if I can just get a dash panel to build up, painted and ready to install in one weekend. I know this was possible with some MG's but my GTO and Mustang the dash is spot welding in during manufacturing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

they come out-- the windshield needs removed--- or very carefully remove the 6 or so bolts that are covered by the windshield /gasket. Lawrence

Attachments

• leftof74 047 (Large).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 141
  • dash74 013 (Large).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 158
Yours wasn't spot welded to the cowl like others were but getting to the 5 bolts through your cowl is a chore. Remove the windshield is the conventional route.
Remove everything under the dash, cut the bolts and U nuts out with a die grinder is the only other route. If you go this route you will need to install the new hardware upside down.

Great, thanks guys. Guess the next question is what years and models will interchange with a 72 Valiant. Not worried about trim option, just the steel panel. Gonna blank out the dash anyway.

Any 67-76 a body dash will interchange. When I re-installed my dash I simply installed the clips and bolts upside down so I could remove the diz-ash. Good news is, installing front and read glass ain't a big deal. D

Do replace the gasket anyway, it's $100. Easier to install the glass into the gasket, then fill the channel with liquid butyl sealer such as PTI 707. It forms with a rag soaked in, and cleans up easily with mineral spirits. If the clips look rusted replace them, be sure to give a dab of butyl sealer on them!

-
Back