1972 Dodge Colt

-
Crazy.
Trouble is people with old used ones think they are gold.
I looked at a used one this weekend, basically the same trailer, dude wanted 9k.

Crazy.
Trouble is people with old used ones think they are gold.
I looked at a used one this weekend, basically the same trailer, dude wanted 9k.
All kinds of trailers are silly high in Tx, and just about like a lot of things!
I can drive to Missouri or Ks, and buy a used stock trailer, bring back here and made good $.

Putting the master cylinders in today and thought this was a cool picture of the back side of the steering wheel.
Master Clyinders (2).JPG

Spent a good deal of time on the cam.
With no Cam Card, it was a little confusing and time consuming logging what seemed like a million degree and lift numbers.
I did figure out that I had the wrong pill in the timing gear from when I ran the engine years ago.
I ended up with a 8 degree part.
I had a 4 degree part in there before which moved the intake centerline higher than the cam called for.
Found a set of good steel retainers, locks and springs to set the head up after I lap some seats.
I have an old Yother spring height micrometer and spring pressure gauge that makes it easy to check the set up.
IMG_1381.JPG

A minor milestone today.
Removed the mock up block, bellhousing and bellhousing.
I will work on getting the front frame rails painted.
The front suspension in and the brakes installed.
And adding some aluminum to the firewall behind the dash.
Next time an engine goes in, it will be the race engine.
Mockup out.JPG
Head Rework (1).JPG

Cleaned the water jacket in the engine today, soaked it with vinegar for a couple of days.
Then flushed it with about 20 gallons of fresh water.
Bolted the scatter shield and transmission together to make sure it's all good.
Too bad I can't install it like this.
Bell comes in from behind the mid plate mount and engine comes in from below.

I want to put a couple of baffles in the pan before I install it in the frame.
I was looking in a 67 Magnum 440 engine and it had some nice baffles for oil control.
Got to thinking about some hard launches and braking and oil moving around.
I will do some simple stuff with sheet metal in the pan.
Alignment check.JPG

Sheet metal in the engine compartment.
I added a flange and filler panel to the base of the windshield.
This was trimmed for the Hemi tunnel ram years ago.
The flange will support the rear of the hood.
You can see the cardboard template for the top of the firewall.
Front Frame.jpeg

Firewall panel 1/2 way in.
A few more fasteners.
New Tach with shift light.

They called on the trailer, it was to be ready by late July, now it's ready today.
That moved fast.
Road trip in a couple of weeks.
Front Frame (6).JPG
Front Frame (5).JPG

I just purchased this car off the interweb. If you google 1972 Dodge Hemi Colt you will find links for it for a few years. It started out for 32K, then 26K, then 16 on epay and I got it off racingjunk after I made the seller an offer. This is an original Don Hardy built Colt. Hardy built funny cars and many Pro Stock cars in the 60's thru the 80's. He built Glidden's Arrow. This is the 3 Colt I have had, all with the thought of drag racing my slant. So instead of a 426 Hemi, it will be a slant with 3 Weber side draft carbs. Starting with an 833 but plan on a Lenco when the wife wins the Lottery. Double chrome moly frame, pinto front end, mid plate, 5.0 Dana 60, Koni shocks, Wheelie Bars, Weld Dragstars, Fiberglass front end, Solar racing seat, all aluminum interior, etc. It had the hood stolen on the truck coming from Portland to Dallas but I didn't want the scoop anyway and I got 1/2 off the delivery to buy a new hood. Going through the front brakes now, next is the rear. Need to mock up the engine and trans, then fit the headers and Webers. I still have my 232 that ran thirteens in my 3000 pound 67 barracuda, so that will be the start. First picture is when it was green in the late 70's.
View attachment 1715379591 View attachment 1715379592 View attachment 1715379593
had a 71 colt with 2.6 2 webbers sold it to Scott Harvey

Not a lot of progress, but moving in the right direction.
Got the front frame rails painted and the QR fasteners on the dash aluminum.
Cleaning the motor for install.
What color for the engine? Red? Orange?
Front Frame (12).JPG

Cutting grass and working on the house.
But had time to start cleaning parts, timing cover, oil pan, cleaning out bolt bosses, etc.
Engine back on stand for putting it all back together.
I hope to have it installed before I leave to get the trailer.

If you are a slant fan here is a link to a 1961 Daytona Compact Car race.
In 1960 the race had 7 Valiants that finished 1st thru 7th.
In this race in 1961 there were only 2 Valiant, but guess what?
Lee Petty beat the pontiac to win the race.
There was one other Valiant, the 12 that was a Hollman Moody car.

^^^ Doesn't that movie make ya want a Road Toad!!!!????? Wife clams our Toad!!!
It was just another of Chrysler engineering and commitment!
Cool!

I hope that your garage is air conditioned cause the heat index here is sucking big time….

Facebook market place usully has a few to chose from.
I hope that your garage is air conditioned cause the heat index here is sucking big time….
Feeling it today, I have a big fan moving air, but not air conditioned.

-
Back